New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
9th Annual Monte Farrel Memorial Shad Derby

 The Date has been finalized for this years Monte Farrel Memorial Shad Derby, it is JUNE 8, 2013. On Salmon River ( just out side of Chipman)
 Remember we are planning to Limit the entries to 50 particpants so we can plan our events
. We tried to plan it so all that wants to partipate can, but we had to Choose a Date that works for most and the best possible fishing Conditions.
Thank you for your contined support From our Sponsours the Ledges Inn and Qeens County Inn.
 I will try to answer any Questions related to the Derby and Shad fishing if there is some with questions.
 For regestration
 Please Contact Sam Daigle 385 2298 E-mail [email protected]
 Ralph Goodwin ( Goodwins Fly Shop) www goodfly.ca 327-6231
2012 Derby Winners

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The River is best suited for a Canoe or Kayac ..or wading !

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I had a blast two years ago at your tourney. I couldn't go last year because the NB Paddler's Fishing Derby fell on the same date. This year, we planned the Hammond River Classic on the same date, but I posted on the HRC thread to see if they'd rather we move the date so they ("we") can hit your tourney too. I still have a small window of opportunity to change the date ahead or back a weekend.

Old Guide, you should post your event on the event's calendar.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a Lot of Fun for sure. Hope you and others can make it this year. Thanks for reminding me about the Calendar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My spot is at # 2218 route 116. Just down from the Cast-a-away creek If anyone wants to put into the river there that day they are more then welcome, lots of room to park as well if interested.

·
2,366 Posts
@Oldguide: I changed the date of my tourney so my crew can come to yours.

@molson: Can we camp overnight the night before on your spot, or is there a spot around there somewhere that we can set-up camp the night before?

·
Registered
260 Posts
 Where: Salmon River
 When: Saturday June 8th , 2013
 Breakfast: Queens County Inn 9 A.M….. 11:0 a.m.
 Prizes: 100% Cash payout 1st -2nd - 3rd -4th and 5 th
 Designated Waters , From the Mouth of Little Forks to Rte # 10 Salmon River Bridge Chipman
 Fly, Spinning and Bait casting Rods are the only means of Capture.
 Limited to First 50 entries only
 Tournament Hours are from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
 All participants must be registered by 12 p.m. June 8 th, 2013.
 1 cash Prize per participant
 Entry Fee $20.00 breakfast included

Register at Goodwin fly shop or by Contacting Ralph Goodwin (327 6231) or Sam Daigle 385 2298.

The Prizes amount are to be determined by the Number of Entries as all the entry fee minus the Cost of the breakfast are Payed out. Only 1 Cash prize per entry. Fish to be registered by Weight Only up to and including two fish will qualify. Weigh in 8 p.m.

This Derby is put on to introduce and encourage the Sport of Shad Fishing. It is very informale and haveing a good Day on the River, and introducing Shad fishing to the Area is the biggest Goal. We welcome all and good Luck to all partipants. I have reason to expect that the Chipman Fish and Game Club to be a particpant in helping out with the Derby this Year..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Deal Stroover. Thanks for that Bud, the Fishing Gods will reward you soon!

·
Registered
540 Posts
So what do you guys do with the shad that are retained? Do you eat them or set them free, donate them or use them for fertilizer? I have had them before and they are not my preference so I would feel terrible about killing a fish that I am not going to eat.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Personaly only usually Keep Shad on Derby day, and that is still just 2 or 3. If I keep a few it is by a request that some one has ask me to bring one home for them. There is a Gentleman who lives in the area we fish that appreciates them dearly. They are fished commerialy in Grand Lake and no one should feel Guilty about bring Home a Shad or 2 as long as they intend to use it . I would hope their intended use would be some thing Besides fertilizer. They are a Gem on the End of a Fly Rod.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have fished them in NS for years and on the fly rod you are right.. Poor mans salmon is what we use to call them but they fight great. So I am assuming that the fish are kept until weigh in but they are dead correct or how do you go about selecting the fish you want to weigh without killing them? I don't want to keep any fish so for me it seems like it is a deal breaker if I am not going to be able to release them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In response to Stroover question, yes you can camp at my spot if you like. there is lots of room for tents ,even a camper trailer or two if you want. there is a nice firepit there with lots of wood as well. Your more then welcome to stay there if you want.

·
2,366 Posts
Thanks, Molson.

OldGuide, at the end of the tourney we can give our shad to that guy who likes them dearly? Exstream, does that get you back in the game?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Don't get me wrong fellas... I think the event is a good thing and I don't condemn anyone for keeping their limit.. or giving it to the needy. It is a shame that anglers within any Province can't donate freshly caught fish to a food bank. I know I could fill a freezer if I tried but again it has to be within reason or you end up depleting a resource easily. Stroover I will check with the wife and see if she is working that weekend or not... What is the limit on retention of shad? I don't want this guy who loves them dearly to get into any trouble either by having more in his possession than he is legally allowed to have.. I like lots of things but not enough to get a fine for them..lol...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Am I reading the rules correctly... the final weigh in is at 8pm at night? and I only weigh in 2 fish? This seems like an excessive amount of time to capture 2 fish...lol.. especially Shad... so you must make the determination of going to weigh in the fish at the time of capture otherwise you release it is that how it works? If your event is by weight only then I would want to weigh my fish as soon as possible to avoid any amount of weight loss because of drying out or death.. is it possible to weigh in at any time or is it reserved to 8pm only?

·
2,366 Posts
You're allowed 5 shad as a daily quota, but it doesn't say what's your possession limit.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts