New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is this in Sunny Corner? The view in the back looks familiar. We have been catching them in big numbers close to Barnaby for well over a month. We were catching them from shore but now they seem to be taking better while trolling. Nothing to get 30 everynight and that is one rod. I seen 200 plu bass pulled out and released in 2 hrs. Totally unbeleivable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The are there in good healthy numbers! And the studies show it, but they refuse to consider that net by-catch is far more lethal then proper C & R. The DNR has just had more excitement in the last few years catching people fishing bass as it has had in years maybe generations. Google the report, its detailed in qualitative information(what DNR thinks) and not strong on the quantitative data (whats outthere...like 100,000 yearling fish per season in open water rainbow smelt nets). Just Saying

·
Registered
428 Posts
Apparently, they were caught in the Shubenacadie. Also, I'm calling you out on your release as I can see a striper in the cooler, which is probably the first one you said you released. I'm surprised the dictatorship let you post your picture holding the striper by the gill plate... he must have been on vacation!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Apparently, they were caught in the Shubenacadie. Also, I'm calling you out on your release as I can see a striper in the cooler, which is probably the first one you said you released. I'm surprised the dictatorship let you post your picture holding the striper by the gill plate... he must have been on vacation!
Good eye Bigfish1

Where were they caught green machine

·
Registered
428 Posts
looks like they are both dead to me???. fins are laying flat,color is whitish,and no water in sight.
You can defintely tell the first striper is dead. They never look that pale when alive... usually after the first good death whack on the head they instantly lose their color. I have hit one over the head, had it go pale, then come back to life while in the the live well. That was a one time thing and because it was in an aerated live well and I didn't hit it hard enough.

I think the fancy animated "Nice Striper" labelling is to keep your eyes away from the dead striper in the cooler. Nothing wrong with taking one home, I took a 38" striper home tonight... there is just no need to make fibs up to show off your catch. Once Green Machine really gets into stripers, he won't bother taking pictures of anything under 30lbs.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Big Fish - don't be such a big idiot. You think you know alot about stripers but you come across as a complete dummy. Actually I remember telling my buddy who gave me a hand landing the firt one that I thought it looked pale. Right out of the water it was pale. I caught small stripers fishing salmon and remember seeing black bold markings and when I landed this one the first thing I noticed was the pale color which I figured may have been cause due to the recent spawning.

The photo was taken right after the fish was landed and the water is right next to us. The fancy animated text is to block out a well known landmark to avoid havving a crap load of guys going to this spot.

I never said anything about our group not keeping any fish. There were 4 of us and a few were kept. Not a big deal to have one or 2 in the cooler. How can you link me to the fish in the cooler? We had 3 coolers with us that day! Big whoop!

Calling me out makes you seem like a really jealous A-hole. There are bigger more important things in life to worry about instead of assuming the worst based on viewing a photo. You must be one board A-hole. Go fishing it might do you some good.

And holding a fish by the gill plate probably wasn't the best thing but I made sure my hands were not tangled up in his gills. I have a bad shoulder and couldn't lift with my other arm. I see guys releasing musky and pike on TV all the time holding them by the gill plates. Again your assumtions make you seem dumb. Typical hillbilly!
I hold stripers by the gill plate on occasion too, nothing wrong with that if done right, I was getting at the point that Dave usually takes photos like that down, as he did with a 46.5" striper photo I had because of the same thing. They aren't salmon and if held by the gill plates, it's fine although, like you say, not the best.

I've caught hundreds of striped bass at all times of the year and never do they look pale like that unless they are dead. Not even some of the sickly stripers I've seen are pale. Possibly if an artery was punctured and the fish bleed a lot during a long fight, it could be pale when landed. As far as being pale from spawning, that's interesting. I did assumed wrong was the location at first. My other assumptions could have been much worse, like you were jigging spawning stripers, filled your cooler and hid a no fishing sign with your "Nice Striper" sign. Then I could be a "board" a-hole. I think one of the others was wrong in saying both were dead, as the second fish appeared not to be.

As far as being jealous, there's nothing there to be jealous about there... I AM jealous about the guys who catch and release 40,50,60 or more striped bass in a day out of the Miramichi, but who wouldn't be! But then again, they don't get 20-30lb stripers on average either, just schoolies from what they say.

I'm insulted about the hillbilly comment, only hillbillies wear Ford hats! I wear a Toyota hat, much more sophisticated, like a high tech *******
I guess I should have put more smiley faces in my last post so you wouldn't take my comments as being so hurtful. Sorry if your feelings were so easily hurt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK guys time to cool it down a notch haha...Anyways Big Fish I am one of those guys who can not keep those bass off even though I am fishing trout. And don't be fooled. We have caught numerous bass for about a month now. There are so many that the majority are schoolies but there are many big bass in the 30 lbs range being caught as well.

The turnaround on this fish is absolutely incredible. This river just seems to be so much better sense the mills closed. JUST SAYING!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
OK guys time to cool it down a notch haha...Anyways Big Fish I am one of those guys who can not keep those bass off even though I am fishing trout. And don't be fooled. We have caught numerous bass for about a month now. There are so many that the majority are schoolies but there are many big bass in the 30 lbs range being caught as well.

The turnaround on this fish is absolutely incredible. This river just seems to be so much better sense the mills closed. JUST SAYING!!!
By the sounds of things, the Miramichi is comparable to the great striper rivers of the US in terms of numbers of fish. I've talked to yanks who are surprised we even have any amount of stripers up this way and some are actually planning trips just to fish stripers in Canada. I can't see why doesn't the DNRE open it up to C&R. Are they waiting until the river is polluted with them so they can justify a commercial fishery or for them to get diseased and have a population crash? I'd like to see a hard number at which the population is considered fully rebounded to an acceptable level for opening of a season. Atlantic salmon would have the same protection or more if they weren't the major tourist/recreation draw for the area.

anyhow, that's off subject for the post... it's about GM's nice stripers. We should start a new topic about Miramichi stripers

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
reallity check! stripers like a lot of fish can change color quite quickly. i watched beer baron land 3 keepers one day. the first was a "green" striper (fairly rare), the second was a very faded "brown" striper like shown and the third was a shiny "blue" striper. there is a theory about them fading the longer they have been out of salt water, but beerbarons was caught just below the falls, in salt water. there is also an idea that like most fish they fade out when scared. i have a faded striper in the fridge now (i frankly can`t remember if it was faded at first), my last one was a bright, dark, blue one. come to think of it, jimmies was faded out last night too, but it was a long fight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts