New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
They better get there act together. 3 weeks to shut pools down. Good job Feds! Now the water is a good level and cooled down. I bet the private members at black brook salmon club are freaking out. Do the Feds realize the money these camps put into the economy. Cooks and guides and managers out of jobs. There is your Feds hard at work. I am so mad I guess I better stop before I start to use foul language. They need to open it back up. This is what had happened historically. Can't wait to hear who the genious is this time around.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I'm curious regarding these closures.

Lets take one of these "said pools" they have closed...they all seem to read 100 meters out, 100 meters up and downstream of a particular brook running into the river. Does that really mean I can fish 101 yards from the named brook ? I've never fished anywhere near a closed pool in my salmon fishing career so I'm wondering how freaky the DFO guys get if I decide to fish, say Porcupine Pool at the lower end where it makes the turn. As long as I'm 100 meters from the named incoming brook I should be OK right ?

I think given the cooler temperatures lately (especially at night), the good rise in water levels....surely the fish are in a much better state of health than they were 2-3 weeks ago. I chose NOT to fish during that hot spell as CandR'ing a fish then would have been a certain death sentence. Now, as things have improved, I'll probably return to do some fishing guilt free in the next few weeks. That said, I'd like to hit some public pools along with Porcupine mainly because I really like the way it flows and the scenery, and lack of congestion.

Any suggestions for fishing near a "closed" pool ?

RH

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just for the record, the part about the pools being closed "until Dec. 31" is merely a technical thing, and that those pools will reopen when the feds see fit, be it tomorrow, be it Sept. 1, be it whenever they deem it appropriate.

As for what happened historically, I believe (and stand to be corrected) that they used to just shut 'em down in the afternoons and left them open in the mornings until noon when conditions got bad. At least that's the way I remember it. (Not that anyone should ever trust my memory.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
well...I wasn't really planning on standing at the 101 meter mark, but you are right for sure.

Where I was thinking was more like a solid 200 meters...but I like the way your thinking. If I do go, I'll be sure to take my bowhunting laser rangefinder, have my buddy stand at the brook, I'll walk down river,look back and lase...and know exactly where 100 yards is...and be sure to stay WELL CLEAR of that spot by at least 50 meters. That way, if grief arises, I can physically show them I've taken reasonable, responsible, accurate measures to respect the closure parameters.

Then again, I may just go somewhere else all together and avoid the hassle. By the time I get out again the closures might be lifted anyway.

Thanks. Just thought someone may have fished in the vicinity of a closed pool before.

·
Registered
100 Posts
well...I wasn't really planning on standing at the 101 meter mark, but you are right for sure.

Where I was thinking was more like a solid 200 meters...but I like the way your thinking. If I do go, I'll be sure to take my bowhunting laser rangefinder, have my buddy stand at the brook, I'll walk down river,look back and lase...and know exactly where 100 yards is...and be sure to stay WELL CLEAR of that spot by at least 50 meters. That way, if grief arises, I can physically show them I've taken reasonable, responsible, accurate measures to respect the closure parameters.

Then again, I may just go somewhere else all together and avoid the hassle. By the time I get out again the closures might be lifted anyway.

Thanks. Just thought someone may have fished in the vicinity of a closed pool before.
it clearly states that it is closed for the first 100 meters, therefore you would AOK is you are over 150 meters away... they just don't want people fishing in the main pots where the salmon are visible and easy to jig

·
Registered
492 Posts
If I do go, I'll be sure to take my bowhunting laser rangefinder, have my buddy stand at the brook, I'll walk down river,look back and lase...and know exactly where 100 yards is...and be sure to stay WELL CLEAR of that spot by at least 50 meters. That way, if grief arises, I can physically show them I've taken reasonable, responsible, accurate measures to respect the closure parameters.
Just don't take the bow with the rangefinder or they would just charge you for that.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just for the record, the part about the pools being closed "until Dec. 31" is merely a technical thing, and that those pools will reopen when the feds see fit, be it tomorrow, be it Sept. 1, be it whenever they deem it appropriate.
Well, I guess they've deemed it appropriate right now:

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) today announces that the
following salmon fishing pools will reopen starting Saturday, July 31, 2010:
 Confluence of Salmon Brook and Cains River;
 Confluence of Butty's Brook and Renous River;
 Waters of the Southwest Miramichi River surrounding the pump house located at
N 46.86483, W 65.67698 (WGS 84);
 Confluence of Gray Rapids Brook and Southwest Miramichi River;
 Confluence of Morse Brook and Southwest Miramichi River;
 Confluence of Black Brook and Southwest Miramichi River;
 Confluence of Donnelly Brook and Southwest Miramichi River;
 Confluence of Betts Mills Brook and Southwest Miramichi River;
 Confluence of Porcupine Brook and Southwest Miramichi River.
Please refer to Gulf Variation Order 2010-086 for further details. The Fishery
Closures / Variation Orders Registry is available online at:
http://www2.glf.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fam-gpa/cp/ord/index-e.php

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sweet. Makes sense as it's 14 degrees here on fton tonight, and appears as though the major heat wave is over. If anything, we have below normal temps for this time year. Perhaps a fish Tuesday am is in order before my night shift.

RH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts