New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mainly fishing for trout, but want to be able to go after landlockers and bass, also a 9ft or 8'6"? , what do you think? Thx.

·
Registered
298 Posts
choosing the right pole is like buying a license... buy a trout license get the urge to fish salmon.. gotta buy the whole licence over again .. always go bigger unless you wanna buy a couple of poles.. that is a always a good decision but if one pole is in the budget go with the 6wgt. keeps your inner self prepared for that smack me in the face what was that I just had on

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would go with the 6wt just in case; it will handle the odd larger fish or even salmon if pressed. Nine foot if you are fishing larger streams/lakes makes easier mends. Here is a link to some awesome advice from a master trout fisherman;

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had the same decision when i first started fly fishing, i knew i would mostly be fishing trout and bass but i knew i wanted to fish salmon and didnt want to buy 2 rods..so i split the difference and bought a 8.5 foot 7wt...its a tad heavy for trout some people might say but i like big flies for trout, i rarely throw anything smaller than size 10, and if you hook into a big fella or into something else like a smallmouth bass its a lot easier to get him in . For smallies and pickerel i find it perfect..heavy enough to throw big flies but light enough to still get a real good fight..especially with bass.for salmon a 7wt is light but not to light, provides for a hell of a fight but still heavy enough to not play the fish to long

1 - 5 of 5 Posts