New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new 4hp yamaha 4 stroke motor for my canoe. I would like to try it out this summer on a large river such as the Restigouche. I'm just not certain if a 4 hp is strong enough for this type of river....

I know that they use 20+ foot canoes up there with larger motors... So I guess I'm wondering if a 15ft with a 4hp is a working combination, or will I be sleeping with the fishes if I try?

Here's the specs for my canoe.
www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/huntingfishing/predator_ss150.html

·
Registered
138 Posts
I once saw a 16 foot coleman canoe with two men in it going up river on the North Branch of the Miramichi pushed along by a 2hp honda motor and it was mounted on the side of the canoe as it wasn't a square stern.

Bill G.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use a 2hp on ad Old Town Discovery with a side mount. The key to moving upriver is to pay attention to currents as they will vary across the river. Generally, deeper channels mean slower current and easier motoring. Travel in seams between currents and up eddies (be careful crossing the eddy lines). Be smart and pick good lines, you should do fine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i believe in the fishing guide for the crown reserve waters for the restigouche suggest something like a 10 or 12 horse motor (at least that is where I thought i read that )... in sections it's deep fast moving water.. can't say i've seen anything like it on the miramichi yet.. we did three sisters a few years ago.. going down river no prob.. but coming back up with a 4 horse.. i see it as a problem.. consider two men and all your gear.. might be ok if you're just doing a day trip.. make sure you have a satellite phone with ya! lol

we had a guide on the restigouche and he had a 20 horse on his 26ft canoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely have to build up my skills and confidence first. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+/- 20 years ago we rented a 4hp motor and threw it on a +/- 20 foot canoe when fishing the Restigouche. The water was high that weekend and while we were able to make it upriver, it was a LOOOOONG voyage. What took us +/- an hour to paddle down river took us +/- 4 hours to get back upriver and at times I didn't think we'd make it up the fast water stretches. It was NOT an enjoyable experience. I'd recommend much, much bigger....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts