New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News from the Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF)

An escape reported by the salmon farming industry of 33,000 farmed salmon occurred recently. There is evidence that other escapes occurred earlier in the fall that went unreported despite requirements of the industry to do so. An article on the website of the World Fishing Network (WFN) explains why this could be a disaster for wild Atlantic salmon populations that have just been assessed as endangered by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC). A recent photo of part of a broken cage at the mouth of the Bay of Fundy indicates what can happen in open sea-cage culture. Click through from the above article for a full-sized image.
http://asf.ca/news.php?id=617

A similar article also appears in Outdoor Canada, showing the broken cage structure
http://outdoorcanada.ca/blogs/news/

First Nations take action on the West Coast to counteract sea lice impacts of salmon aquaculture on Pacific salmon.
http://asf.ca/news.php?id=618

A judge has ruled in favour of nine national and international environmental groups that took DFO to court for failing to take appropriate action to protect endangered and threatened populations of killer whales. This may well be a precedent setting case with repercussions for endangered and threatened wild Atlantic salmon.
http://asf.ca/news.php?id=619

·
Registered
91 Posts
I understand these large escapes need attention, but when is DFO going to do something about the intentional releases? Each time a cage is harvested they fail to capture all the fish and the escapees are released into the ocean. It isn't just 10 or 20 salmon, the number can exceed 100 and it's everytime a cage gets harvested - hundreds of cages means thousands of escaped fish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Farmed salmon can be covered in sea lice, can have diseases from being in such close contact with other caged fish and may differ genetically from the fish natually occuring in that river.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the only silver lining in this is the NB fish farm stocks in the Bay of Fundy are supposed to be from St John river stock, so geneticly not too bad (although little diversity). unfortunatley, all the bad news above still applies.

it's been observed that farmed salmon out compete natural fish, partly because they are bigger than the same year class (they just feed instead of having to chase down food). some times this is minor, actualy pushing natural stocks further up river, other times the bigger farmed fish so dominate the natural it becomes a disaster (they have seen this same problem with just stocking fish - not just farmed fish. one reason why they like to stock young fish, it reduces the impact on the naturaly reproducing stocks)

·
Registered
149 Posts
THERE is no silver lining. these salmon are mixed with a norwigen gene pool. the reason there is no salmon left in the macadavid,new river pocologan,digideguash,and every brook in between.sorry im not that good at spelling ..they have lice and when the lices gets to bad they just dump chemicals in the water to fix the problem.do you see a problem..........there is a desise that affects there kidnrys if one gets it they all get it in a pen no cure.do you see a silver lining. what happens when one of those get out and mix with wild stock.end of my rant just my thoughts ..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they are mixed with norwegen stock? are you sure? there was both a tv news articule and one in the paper going on and on about how they are St. John river stock, and how they are special etc. that's part of how they get their farm permit, or so they said anyway. if not, fine them and shut it all down - this isn't the first escape by any means, and we know better than that! i agree the lice and all the rest etc. is bad news. ACAP had me tracking sea lice on stripers 2-3 years ago - quite a few had them but not in big numbers that i found, they may be more resistant than salmon since they have much bigger scales. escapes may contribute to the lack of salmon in the Bay of Fundy tributaries, but since the stocks were destroyed well before the salmon farming started, they are not the only reason. clear cutting, polution, over fishing and other enviromental damage destroyed our stocks and our salmon rivers and streams. the chemicals that they use to de-lice the salmon definately are effecting lobster stocks, and making the more nasty ones legal AFTER they were illegaly used and dessimated our lobsters doesn't make it any better.

all that said, i have seen more salmon in sw NB in the last 3 years than i have in the last 20 (still no where near 70's or earlier numbers, but better than the 90's). personaly i hope it has something to do with the enviroment coming back (because then our stocking would actualy work...), but it could just as easily be salmon from further south invading our area - salmon are now an invasive species in the artic, pushing out char.

·
Registered
149 Posts
0 salmon in all the rivers i said above except the macidavid and i belive they dipped 2 over the fish ladder this year not shure on the numbers of caged salmon they took of the ladder but there is no doubt in my mind that the salmon are gone because of the aqua culture . as for the lobster . they are more now than ever before but where the cages are located as for the mix in gene pool thats a romour that i heard many years ago that they were bringing seaman in to boost the production...one thing that is certain the caged salmon are for shure hurting the natural eco system and it creates a lot of jobs in my area. so what do you think the goverment will do side with the fish or people who pay the salery just like the discusion on the hunting site about logging GOVERMENT WILL DO NOTHING for the good .o btw if there are any of you out there who dought what im saying find a diver to look at the bottom around these cages....then tell me what they see. again sorry for spelling ang grammer.its been a long time for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts