New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Released 3 grilse last evening July 11, 2011 on the main Southwest Miramichi. All caught on a white tail green machine #4.

Fished from 2 pm in the hot sun as the water on the Renous was 74 F. Water is getting low and need rain and some cooler nights. Went over to the main river as the water there is staying high. The temps were 72 F. Lots of fish moving through and many other caught from 6:00 pm until dark.

It's been an epic year so far!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just can't believe that you're catching all these grilse when I have a very hard time to catch/hook 2 per year lol.. wow.. I guess I am jealous lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
gdog - where are you fishing? I've had good fishing down near the tidal areas where fresh fish are entering the river and going up the renous and main southwest. Not Quarieville pool. That hasn't fished good at all this year due to high water.

Back at the end of may and in june I had good fishing on the Northwest at all parts of the river above Trout Brook and I had good fishing on the Little Southwest up river but all the pools below Catamaran brook.

I did fish up at the mouth of the Taxis river in Boiestown and didn't see a fish a week ago. I also fished a bit upriver on the Renous but the water was too high early last week. I know the fish are holding in the pools on the Renous now but the water temps are too high in mid day. I hardly ever fish a morning. The drive from Moncton doesn't allow unless I get up at 4:00am. I'm too fat for that! I only stayed up over night one saturday in June and always drive up for the day. I fish maybe 2 or 3 days a week and look at the water leverls and fishing reports. 43 hooked 30 landed and counting.

·
Banned
169 Posts
congrats GM

I am heading up Thursday morning for 3 days of fishing.
Plan of attack is MSW & Lower Renous thursday. Friday morning LSW
Saturday..TBD based off the above

Wife and 12 yr old nephew with me so I will probably be watching helping more than fishing...His first salmon fishing trip so he is excited

·
Registered
250 Posts
Green Machine, if you have pictures of all the fish you released you'll stand a good chance of winning the Orvis rod Keith Wilson is giving away. Just have to email him a pic. of releasing a salmon/grilse and he enters your name once for each pic.http://www.wilsonscamps.nb.ca/

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wannafish - Yeah I saw that on their webisite. Problem is I only have a handfull of pictures as I fish mostly alone.

Lahave - I'm sure we probably fished beside one another somewhere along the way.

I started catching alot of fish when I started tying my own flies 25 years ago. Ever since I've become pretty good at it especially places I have fished over the years. New spots can throw me for a loop sometimes but if I see fish rolling and splashing then it's not long before I figure out the pool or run. One spot I can't figure out though is Harris Brook on the Little Southwest. I've fished there alot over the years and never saw a fished hooked, jump, roll or splash by myself or anybody else and there the main pool at the top with a run on the near side and also 2 runs below going on either side of the island. Can't figure it out for the life of me!

I brought a few guys fishing this year and they were shaking their heads as I hooked up on several on a few occasions as they struggled to roll one. Probably why I've been yelled at on the river more then once up there. Normally happens after you hook into a couple and release them when nobody else is getting fish. Gotta love the locals! Only on the Miramichi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts