Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2nd annual NB Paddler's Fishing Derby

When: June 9, 2012 from 7am-5pm
Where: Sunbury-Oromocto Park on French Lake
Why: For fun and to raise money for the Oromocto River Watershed Association
Cost: $30

The Derby is a Catch-Photo-Release fishing tournament for kayaks, canoes and other human only powered water crafts. No motors of any kind are allowed. It is a multi-species event, where you try and catch as many different species as possible. There will be lots of prizes given out!

Kayak Giveaway! We will be giving out a kayak by a random draw from every paid participant. You will never get a better chance to win a kayak! [kayak donated by Eco-Logical Adventures of Oromocto]

You can register online, and get all of the details on our website:
http://paddlersfishingderby.ca/

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i will be there again. it was great fun last year and an awesome day.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should be a good time. Last year we caught 9 different species and more are possible. How many will we get this year? Also, several people tied by catching 6 different species. Who is going to raise the bar this year?

Come on out and enjoy! Invite your friends! If you don't own a canoe or kayak you can rent a kayak for the day at the park! If you are lucky you might even win the free kayak.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Get your tickets in advance! You can pick up tickets for the Derby at one of several convenient locations around Fredericton and Oromocto.
- Eco-Logical Adventures (992 Onondaga Street, Oromocto, NB)
- Robin Hanson Art Gallery (261 Restigouche Road, Oromocto, NB)
- Fredericton Outfitters & Anglers (285 Canada Street, Fredericton, NB)
- Phil's Auto and Recreation Ltd (2709 Lincoln Road, Fredericton, NB)
- Robin's Inn (42 Chapperal Road, Waasis, NB)
- Me! Make arrangements to meet up and I can get you a ticket. (contact me through this website, or email [email protected] or call 440-1775)

It is also possible to pay your registration fee using Pay Pal. Just go to our Registration page (http://paddlersfishi.../registration2/) and press the "Buy Now" button.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like you guys had fun last year....we are planning on camping there this year. Can you get tickets when you arrive or do you have to get them in advance?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You most definitely can pay your registration when you get there. While we do provide methods for pre-paying, and encourage it (as it helps us with planning/organizing) it is simply not an option for everyone. So no worries. The only restriction is that you must pay prior to launching.

The campground is a very nice and quiet little provincial park. TO be honest I didn't even know it existed until I started looking for a place to host last years Derby. After the Derby we decided to try it out for the family and we spent a couple of weekends there. It's a great place to camp, and we will be going back again this year.

During the Derby you have an option. You can pitch a tent in a field up by the Pavilion for $12/night/tent, or if you want to you can rent a camping site down by the water. If you bring a camper and want water/electricity there are lots available for that as well. If you want one of the park sites I recommend you contact the park directly and reserve your spot. (http://www.sunburycampground.com/Welcome.html) Be aware that this is still the offseason for them, so don't expect a quick answer to any emails. They usually open for the season around mid May.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey BobD, I have been really excited about entering this year, but looking on the website it says this is a solo event. My buddy and i planned on bringing my canoe, as we dont have yaks. I mean i do understand you wouldn't want people "team " fishing. just wondering if i can get some clarification if wed be able to have 2 individual fishers on the same boat?
thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brownman... yes you can both fish from the same canoe. You will both have to pay the $30 registration, and you are not supposed to help each other land fish (meaning don't net your buddies fish, etc). Whoever puts the line in the water has to do everything themselves to keep it is even as possible with people who are alone in a boat. Naturally you can only claim fish that you land.

I look forward to seeing you there!

·
Registered
110 Posts
styk...would love to have u enter the derby. Its a great time fishing, and great way to meet some guys who share a simular passion. i always learn a few things when getting together with everyone. Who knows u may go home with a brand new kayak!

A little heads up on the water in and around french lake. Its stained water like every where else u go in the SJR system. Lots of weeds and if u venture out into the oromocto river its got some really deep holes. No worries about currents sweeping u down stream eather. Its slow moving current and wind direction would have more of an effect of moving your yak around than the current would. Hope to see u there

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 2nd annual NB Paddler's Fishing Derby is less than 2 weeks away. The turnout is looking to be good, with a nice mix of new and experienced kayak anglers. There will likely be some kids, and a few couples, which is exactly what we are hoping for - a fun relaxed day with a competitive edge. All to have fun, raise some money for the Oromocto River Watershed Association, and win a few prizes. In addition, for every paid registration your name gets entered into a draw for a new Necky kayak!

On Friday night at 8pm there is a registration, rules and safety meeting at the Pavilion in the Sunbury-Oromocto Park. In addition we will be having a BBQ going with supper provided for free (this is a part of your registration). Please note that the registration, rules and safety meeting is required prior to launching. If you cannot make it on Friday night, there will be another at 6:30am on Saturday morning. If you miss this as well, then we will probably have a private discussion when mutually convenient on Saturday morning, but it will probably cause you delays in launching. It is highly recommended to make the Friday session if at all possible (and hey, get a free BBQ meal out of it!)

For full details, check out our website: http://paddlersfishingderby.ca/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Stupid question... lol

We dont have a kayak or Canoe, but we have a 14 foot aluminum, and no motor so we always paddle around. Would that be okay? or are you sticky on kayaks and canoes?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stupid question... lol

We dont have a kayak or Canoe, but we have a 14 foot aluminum, and no motor so we always paddle around. Would that be okay? or are you sticky on kayaks and canoes?
It is the Paddler's Derby. It is open to any boat that is entirely paddled (or peddled). Keep in mind that there are no teams, so if there are two of you you will each need to register, and you will be competing with each other. You will not be allowed to help each other fish or land fish. We will go over the details at the registration meeting on Friday night, June 8th, at 8pm. However if you have more questions, ask away.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Derby is now only 6 days away! Conditions are looking good at the park, and the final details are coming into focus. I`m looking forward to the Derby this year and I hope the weather cooperates and we have a good turnout.

For those that don`t know, The Derby starts at 7am on Saturday, and ends at 5pm at the Suunbury-Oromocto Park (Saturday, June 9th). On Friday night at 8pm we are having a BBQ (included with your registration) and a rules and regulations meeting. We can go over any rules and make sure everyone knows exctly what to expect.

I had a chance to go out yesterday from 11am to 4pm. The water levels are much lower than last year, which makes life easier for fishing. A caught 6 different species yesterday. Check out my report on the website:
http://paddlersfishingderby.ca/category/news/

1 - 20 of 50 Posts