New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
We did our annual kayak run from where Pam's store was to the campground by the four lane on May 11th. It was a good run, the Smallies we caught were all below Hunter's Home. Fallfish were readily available above of course, and the odd trout was caught. Shad should be making the move soon I'd think?

·
Registered
132 Posts
went out to the canaan on Saturday 16 and 23 no bass one decent size perch. didn't think perch went that high up. I was fishing at the bridge area near carr road and further downstream the bass should be biting now that the really warm weather has started. they were catching trout in the area. but I didn't hear of any bass being caught. I didn't see any shad on Saturday.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've seen one bass but based on my experience and the theory I've put together temperature isn't the only factor. I've been hypothesizing for a couple years now that bass on the Canaan are migratory from Washademoak. Articles I've read on the topics of bass migration behaviour have indicated water temperature, while affecting their strike behaviour, is not a pivotal component in when they move. Apparently day length is the key component in bass migration.

This said, I caught one SMB on the Canaan ~14 inches my last outing a couple days ago. Soon hopefully.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've seen one bass but based on my experience and the theory I've put together temperature isn't the only factor. I've been hypothesizing for a couple years now that bass on the Canaan are migratory from Washademoak. Articles I've read on the topics of bass migration behaviour have indicated water temperature, while affecting their strike behaviour, is not a pivotal component in when they move. Apparently day length is the key component in bass migration.

This said, I caught one SMB on the Canaan ~14 inches my last outing a couple days ago. Soon hopefully.
Adds up to me, although 2 weeks ago the temp was about 51 degrees at the bridge by Carr (Pam's Store) and interestingly when we started catching Bass it was about 56 down closer to the highway. I only managed to catch one 13.5" myself on a wacky rigged stik-o, but another guy caught a 17" on a rapala, and a few of the other guys were getting them with topwater, including one really nice fat 20".

All of the smallies we caught were near an outlet of brooks or streams running into the Canaan. Nothing in the main holes or around structure and rocks where they'll be soon. A lot can change in 2 weeks though, so my advice may not be super helpful to you guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's a few pics from the day (Nothing terribly exciting):

My first of the year:

firstoftheyear.jpg

DB with his first ever smallie:
db_smallie.jpg

JV and the 17":
jeffy_smallie.jpg

And just a fun waterfall/rapids pic:
canaan_waterfall.jpg

·
Registered
364 Posts
Awesome pictures. I should invest in a yak if for nothing else to yak that stretch during the migration period.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Everyone should invest in a yak! It's an affordable way to get out there, and feeling yourself get pulled around by the fish you're fighting is really amazing. If you were truly just after the fish in May, you'd be better off putting in where the covered bridge was, or even further down, because you'll cut off several hours from the run we do, and the prime fishing is lower anyway.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Funny u say they come up from the lake. Ive never caught a bass in the lake. Caught cats, perch, picks, pumpkin seed, but no bass lol. Where is a good launch on the cannan for a fella to put a 16'in with a trailer?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Funny u say they come up from the lake. Ive never caught a bass in the lake. Caught cats, perch, picks, pumpkin seed, but no bass lol. Where is a good launch on the cannan for a fella to put a 16'in with a trailer?
Based on my experience with where the bass are caught based on time of year, they follow a migration of some sort. Larger bass need depth to over winter in. Logicially in the middle of the year, the bass will be up river where I tend to pull them out. So if you were fishing in the summer, thats probably why.

I use the term lake loosely. They're overwintering deep, somewhere low on the system. The lake seems to be the prime candidate for overwintering.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went to coles island a few times in fall with that idea in mind but was a bit more of an amateur and used my canoe to fish the banks thinking they would be seeking the warmer shelfs this year might try the deeper channel.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Black I don't know this stretch well, but from my experience I wouldn't put your boat in there unless you are in need of a new lower unit already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually put in behind the store off highway 10 in coles island, but run up near the bridge from the tch where there is a channel that does a loop. cought a 26inch pickerel last year around this time on a perch rapala and a small mouth the year before on a black jig.. but its hit or miss there. then again so is fishing I guess..lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lol lobster man. Ya i fish the lake several times every summer for picks because its the closest spot for me coming from riverview. I want to find a good bass river i can drive my boat in. I fish freddy and woodstock a lot but driving 3 hrs there then 3 back in one day is hard on the body

·
Registered
888 Posts
Anytime I try to take my little open tin boat with its 15HP from Coles Island towards the direction of Canaan Forks/Hunters Home, I only get about 100 yards beyond Coles Island before I hear the WHAM of the lower end hitting a rock, even with a lookout posted at the bow, albeit one who drinks a bit too much.

Then I turn around and go back where I came from, while exercising my vocabulary.

I have finally stopped trying this, once and for all.

But to look on the bright side, I do now have a shiny new prop. Plus one old dinged-up one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We went last Sunday for a few hours. The wind was extremely strong. There were white caps in knee deep water :) We caught three. All three were very good size. Going to go for a few hours tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
173 Posts
its a pretty small run and the water is probably quite high when they run through, i would assume most of the trout that ran through, have already gone through. That water is gonna be hot tub warm pretty soon. The tribs might hold some trout , but most of the sea runs should have come and moved through by now.

If you find out otherwise shoot me a pm, id love to know ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts