New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the sessions opening day now just one month away, I have already began to pick through the gear and read up as much as I can from those of you that have shared the wealth of wisdom over the years.

I look forward to hitting opening week hard as I will be off to NS for a fishing trip with some friend during our opening weekend.

Anyways, I might blog this session's action if I get out there more then a hand full of times.

Now if you care to share any information please feel free, if not hopefully there will be a few replies so those that visiting this post have something else to read.

My plans are to fish the lower Nashwaak, due to convenience.
Hopefully with a few trips later in the session to the upper Mashwaak and Miramichi later, car pool anyone?

So to what this post is really about:

0) Anyone else gearing up already?

1) Predictions for this year's trout sea run on the Nashwaak?

- 2012, ?prediction?
- 2011, same results as 2010?
- 2010, lower parts (Maryville) was the first seven days of the session, with the run being around Nashwaak bridge into May.

2) Would like to try to compile something line in NS, which is a great read, and maybe get a chart going for NB.

Now I know location, hatches, target species, time, river and air conditions can all effect what an individual will use.

But it would be nice to have a general top 6 list for early / mid and late seasons, just as a general guide.

This would be posted in this posting / shared / and updated weekly, and will really depend on if anyone contributes, so we'll see if this flies.

Anyways, for flies while in NS and NB I have only really used frequently brown muddler minnow, green machine, and early black/brown stonefly thought the season, with good success.

These list will change by the number of times a fly is named by each individual whom cares to contribute, each individual can change there lists at any time just by sending what they would like to add and remove. So if a specific fly is not on the list, it's only because of the number of votes, and this could be a total flop, but might as well give it a try. Contributions can be made to the topic in point form, and I'll update all the charts.

NB Top 6 flies by season - Trout Chart
Early​
(April - May)​

1. Early Black Caddis
2.Muddler Mindow
3. Olive Wholly Bugger
4. Orange Tail Mudder

Mid​
(June - July)​

1. Muddler Minnow
2. Little Brown Trout
3. Blue Charm
4. Olive Wholly Bugger

Late​
(August - September)​

NB Top 6 reel baits by season - Trout Chart

Early​
(April - May)​

1. Hook & Worm
2.Blue Spinner
3. Black Rap Minnow

Mid​
(June - July)​

1. Hook & Worm
2. Green Spinner
3. Black Rap Minnow

Late​
(August - September)​

NB Top 6 flies by season - Salmon Chart

Early​
(April - May)​

1. Early Black Stonefly
2.Muddler Mindow

Mid​
(June - July)​

1. Muddler Minnow
2. Green Machine
3. Orange Bomber

Late​
(August - September)​

·
Registered
185 Posts
if it makes you feel better, I started gearing up last friday...i'm dying to get out.
I actually plan on getting out for stripers end of march.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brownman, I was thinking of giving it a try last year but didn't get the gear togeather.

Do you fish from shore at the mouth of the Nashwaak with a wieghted hook rig (with or without a bob), tube, or shad?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry, i should have mentioned i live in quispam, i'll be fishing the reversing falls area, and trolling the kennebecasis.
i'll be using some floating jerk baits (some bombers, creek chub lures, ). also if i can get my hands on some fresh shad, ill use those. you can rig them with a big float or suspend them off the bottom. the reversing falls area is extremely rocky, so fishing the bottom can be tough. i'll take stones, like river rocks, and drill a hole in them. or tie, or tape some thread to them and tie it to my swivel, then a leader with the shad or whatever other bait on it. that way if i get a fish on, or if the weight gets stuck the thread will break and your main line stays free . i'll take a picture of the rig when i finally get out.
I have one lure made by bomber, its called the wind cheater. you can throw it a mile and it floats. on retrieval it has very nice swimming action. oh and i always have some big bucktails on me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Early season trout (for me) usually requires weight, flash and movement - some combination of the three elements. I like wooly buggers tied over wire wrapped shanks and lots of marabou in the tail. Bead head nymphs; Prince, Pheasant tail, Hare's Ear and Copper John. Streamers like the conehead muddler and some clousers.

Mid season I will leave all weighted flies home since I fish "fly fishing only" designated rivers a lot. Delete the copper john from the nymph list and start adding soft hackles and midges. Begin using dries, especialy attractors like coachmen and humpies. Add some terrestrials. Leave the "heavy metal" in the bass box.

Other then some small creeks, I don't fish much for trout once we get into August as the water is often low and too warm to safely play and release them. I will fish for bass and pickerel until things cool off. Going to try and find a muskie with the fly rod this year. Caught one "by mistake" last year with a spinning rod and it was good fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
eager as anyone to get out...this my first year of retirement and ready to hit the waters as soon as the season opens.....as for a favorite fly I have always found a black wolf in sizes 14 to 10 to be effective any time of the year

·
Registered
457 Posts
Where r u located Robert, r u flyfishing only?? I am retired and always on the lookout for potential fishing buddies to share expenses if u r into boat fishing with spinning and casting rods for pickeral, bass ,muskie, sturgeon!! I live in Hopewell Cape, south of Moncton

·
Registered
184 Posts
cant beleive your salmon list dosent include Eagle Tail and Mickey Fill flies! fished kelts for the first time last year and they were all over yellow streamers (a nearby andgle also had luck on a black ghost)

have not really fly fished for trout much, but i've had luck with muddlers and some bug style dries. on spinning gear i prefer a small worm on a gold plated willowleaf spinner or mepps comet. Cant beat a worm on a float in most streams though!

my plan is to do a lot more fly fishing this year, so i'll let you know how i make out!

·
Registered
124 Posts
If the weather is good and not too cold I hope to get out as soon as my newly operated shoulder gets healthy. I won't go if it's miserable and windy. I'll wait for good weather and enjoy it more.

I purchased a new boat last year and fished only 2 days from it. The fly fishing for bright salmon was so good that I concentrated on that right up until August. Usually I go out in May trolling and then in late summer for pickerel but the other shoulder operation prevented me from getting out in May last year.

Plan on going after big brookies this May in my new boat trolling silver and black Rapalas. The floating, coundown and husky jerk all work in the 4 inch and longer. Hope to get out and fish Nova Scotia for Brown trout early. Use mostly night crawlers with a single split shot about 18 inches up and drift the pools.

Hope to go after the strippers in Nova Scotia for a day or 2. The guys use full gaspereau with huge weight on the bottom. But I would like to give them a try with Rapalas and jig heads with a rubber worm like they used on Best of Bull Run tv show. I want to use a rod with more action then the traditional pool cues my buddies use.

I always hit the salmon rivers in late May and this year I predict the salmon fishing will not be as good as last year simply because we don't have the water. Low snow melt will cause the rivers to be low unless we get rain. Typicall situations from personal observations over the years. I hope to get after the sea run brookies this year with the old Sage fly rod and some big trout flies. The carters bug, the echo beach, All other salmon flies work also and in May you can get some big trout mixes in with the odd bright salmon.

I got some really good info about several pools on the Miramichi river system on sea run brook trout from some reliable sources and managed to fly fish a few of those spots last summer for salmon. This year I will be hitting those areas in May for trout.

Don't know how I'm going to get it all done but I will have fun trying!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just ordered a bunch of gear from Bass Pro, and am hitting 2 more shops tomorrow. I've got the fever bad. Gearing up for early season stripers on the SJ river, and some bass tube/worms for Washademoak lake/SJ river. Also planning a trip to Serpentine Lake in may/early june; trying for some lakers and landlocks, and if all else fails, some brookies on the fly. I have more day trip plans then I'll have time for(or buddies to go with), but I can't wait.....

PS...favorite trout fly is the muddler minnow....
favorite all purpose bait is the Pather Martin silver...Every species I've ever caught has been caught atleast once on these (even a catfish once). If I'm having bad luck (or its just poor skill), I throw one of those in and I usually catch something and improve my mood a bit......

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
take a look through the striper section Gerry for the most info on fishing the falls area. it will depend on tide and how you are fishing (shore, boat etc.)

for trout on the fly i have a few favorites, some are basic flies: black fly, white fly, mosquito, red ant, royal coachman, dark montreal, olive sand fly, grey/brown/white nymphs: bee. i`m adding in a few trout pattern streamers too.
for trout other than flies: in line spinner and worm - hildies and imitations; kastmaster/mr champ lures: vibrex/blue fox lures: wonder lure (small minnow crank): rapala & imitation crank stick baits: worm on a bobber: worm and weight.

salmon flies that i catch the most on include: christmas tree: blue bug: purple bug: black wolf: green machine: mickey finn: golden eagle: black ghost: green eagle: any smelt pattern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts