New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Well lads, next weekend we're doing some renovations to our ice shack we rigged up last year. It was the first time any of us ever attempted something like that, and as good as it turned-out, we learned A LOT from our mistakes. Much of what we learned was from you guys on here, the rest from trial and error. For renovations we want to:
-1) shorten the hole on the floor from 1 1/2'x4' to 1'x4' and move it right against the wall as opposed to a foot away from the wall, making us lose space. As big as our shack was (it was the biggest one at the end of Cameron Rd), we didn't have much walking space behind the fishermen because of that hole situation plus the firewood stacked up against the opposing wall. Of course, we'd have that much more walking space had the fishermen NOT been using big bulky comfortable lawn chairs and used little tri-pod chairs instead. However, we don't want to sacrifice comfort, so the hole, she's a gonna be shortened and moved.

-2) raise our shack a good 2' off the ground immediatly, as to not have it "sink" part way through the season and be flooded by 4 inches of water. I know, it doesn't sink, but thanks to ipop we now know what was going on (ice builds up, not down)so we can be pro-active about it and not have to jack 'er up in the freezing cold weather. I think we'll build it on 4"x4" stilts, then just cut the stilts off at the "knee" at the end of the season.
-3) build a better locking system for the door for when the skidoo'ers come by at 1:30am in search of booze and what not. We'll also not leave our stuff in there in case they still manage to break in. Not much fun showing up on Sunday morning to find the door busted open and all your stuff gone.
-4) put a slant on the roof as opposed to having it flat. Who knew snow built up on the roof melts once you fire up the wood stove, then drips on your head while you're fishing? Or, we might just put a ladder up there and shovel it off with every snow fall. Might be less work then modifying the whole walls. Ya, we'd need a ladder. Not only is she the biggest shack, she's also the tallest. Lol!
-5) rig up a powerful magnet attached to a string for when some knucklehead drops my rod down the hole. Nuff said.
-6) with the extra space we'll have from the hole modification, rig up some kind of folding table to play cards or whatever and drink, ummm, pop during the down time. =-)
-7) have some emergency back-up lighting for if'n when the generator konks-out again, so nobody "almost" falls through the hole. Nuff said. (at least the hole will be smaller this time, so less chance of falling completely through, as long as we keep our beer bellies in cue.)
-8) Last, but not least: INSULATE EVERYTHING!!! Including the floor!!! It sucks having t-shirt weather from the belly up, and freezing cold from the waist down, especially your feet. Lol!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sounds good jc.
i like to have a skylight or high window too - it helps keep the shack warm during the day and saves fuel on fishing in daylight. if you do the skylight thing you will already have the materials to do a single slope or double slope roof by using the skylight for the additional material.

the stilts work great. i`ve been doing it for years now and have only had to chop off one stilt - most times they pop out with just a few taps to break them lose. 2 feet sounds like a lot but 16" was too little last year for the nb fishing shack. 20" would have worked, but i think like your 24" is a good idea. i have tried a few different things to skirt it in - carpet, plastic and paneling. they all have their points. paneling is easiest when you go to take down the shack. if you run it verticaly it slides right out with the stilts however if there isn`t much snow you don`t get a great seal with the ice, so you get a breeze along the ice in the shack. carpet gives you the best seal and is the worst to deal with when removing the shack, often going back afterwards when the ice is almost gone to finish cleaning up. plastic is fairly easy to remove but can still get iced in, can tear etc. gives a seal just slightly better than paneling but no connecting joints still gives a better wind protection but it is noisey.

i try to insulate as much as i can, using a combo of fibre glass pink and 1-2" foam but i have only insulted the floor once which did help a lot since we didn`t have a heater that was really big enough for the shack. it did make it so we didn`t even run the heat during the day after we had warmed it up but i couldn`t reuse that insulation the next year. maybe box in the floor joists to make it easier to insulate and protect the insulation too.

it`s also a good idea to anchore it, especialy if it`s tall. the wind can turn it into a sail very easily! lol!!!

i have gone from major lock systems to just a pad lock with a weather flap. the break in`s are hard to stop, it`s just a matter of how much work they want to put in to get in. a very loud alarm might help but even that wouldn`t have saved me last time (drunken friend tring to help someone else out...!) the more shacks in your spot, the more eyes watching and the safer your shack is...most times...

tis almost the season!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Flyakfisher:
I will be joining you out Cameron rd this year ! Actually going to take my shack out that way soon as I have family that lives very close . I've been waiting for the ice fishing posts to start!! I love it lol . I've had a few shacks , from the 4x8 folding shacks with tarp and 2 walls and a floor, an 8x8 that's pieced togeather on the ice , a solid 8 x 8 , and now to an 8x12 built on a trailer
frame made specifically for my shack ! I've tried allot of different combinations over the years . I am actually just putting the finishing touches on the shack now . This weekend I installed my door locking bar , made insulated boxes for over my wheel wells , all I have left is to wire my lighting and close up my last wall . Can't wait to get out !!!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sounds awesomer A2F. is that the same one you had last year?
if i put mine up this year i will be doing a major rebuild. i designed a new version that`s sort of portable and i`m going to decide which i`m going to build depending on the ice this year...or at least that`s the theory! lol!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes it is the same one we built last year but didnt take it out.....8 x 12 fully insulated , siding , pitched roof with 4 skylights , wood stove . lights , bench seating , fishs 7 , interior walls in , all on a brand new dual axle trailer .. The idea this year is to hook onto it take it to the ice when we can fish and then take it off the ice when were done .. Im guessing about 10 - 15 minutes from hook on to truck to hooks in the water ... my only concern will be cutting the holes . I have one extension for my auger may need a 2nd one if the ice gets real thick ... But i have a trick ot two for that as well.. lol

I really enjoy building shacks ,,there are so many different things you can do! Some things work great in some shacks but not in others,,,My last few years I made 10 inch blocks to set my shack on... Never had to lift higher , in fact usually had a couple inchs to spare ..That eliminated the need to or worry about having the shack freeze in , or be out their -25 trying to lift it a couple more inchs .. Then I recessed 5 gal buckets into my floor down to the ice , This eliminated any draft coming up from the floor and didnt have to skirt the shack in ... Downfall to this method was again always had to redrill my holes every time i went out .. Solution POWER AUGER !! LOL

·
2,366 Posts
Hey A2F! Our shack is 8x12 as well, and last year it was the biggest one at Cameron Rd. Watch for us and park near ours, as we have it marked on the gps from last year (we had the best spot, right over a little channel comming from out that little kind of a brook at the beach). We had 14' of water, whereas ten feet on either side of us and the lads barely had 8 ft. We were catching them left and right, and they were getting much less then us. Our shack is unpainted particle board with Moosehead tin signs on either side of the door.
As for a hole, we use a chainsaw and cut a 1' x 8' hole in the ice, then we position our floor hole (also 1' x 8', along the wall) over this hole, then assemble the walls and the roof.
A2F, can you show a pic of your locking bar or describe it? I think that's what we're gonna try to rig up as well.

Well, we got 'er all insulated on Saturday: the floor, the walls, and the ceiling. Along with the wood stove, she's gonna be nice and toasty warm! The only problem is, it looks like we aren't going to have much ice until the end of January again this year, and it looks like there won't be much of it left by the first week of March again. : ( http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/region/ca/1

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
we fish in the area of a hump with a stump. it`s about the only structure for a ways. something different is important and i would think that the stream channel draws more smelts.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey A2F! Our shack is 8x12 as well, and last year it was the biggest one at Cameron Rd. Watch for us and park near ours, as we have it marked on the gps from last year (we had the best spot, right over a little channel comming from out that little kind of a brook at the beach). We had 14' of water, whereas ten feet on either side of us and the lads barely had 8 ft. We were catching them left and right, and they were getting much less then us. Our shack is unpainted particle board with Moosehead tin signs on either side of the door.
As for a hole, we use a chainsaw and cut a 1' x 8' hole in the ice, then we position our floor hole (also 1' x 8', along the wall) over this hole, then assemble the walls and the roof.
A2F, can you show a pic of your locking bar or describe it? I think that's what we're gonna try to rig up as well.

Well, we got 'er all insulated on Saturday: the floor, the walls, and the ceiling. Along with the wood stove, she's gonna be nice and toasty warm! The only problem is, it looks like we aren't going to have much ice until the end of January again this year, and it looks like there won't be much of it left by the first week of March again. : ( http://www.almanac.c...nge/region/ca/1
Ill go take a some pics right now ,and email them to you if you want to pm me your email address. .. Ill send the pics some time tonight or tomorrow ..
Jay

·
Registered
315 Posts
I sent you pics , hope it helps , if you have any question fire away. Thanks for the spot info , but I'm sure someone else will get it lol. I will not be leaving the shack on the ice . The plan is to haul it out each time we go . I have a family member very close so the shack will be there. Hopefully the entrance to the ice is kept in nice shape . I'd be happy to chip in some cash if theirs someone that plows on a reg basis . That's the plan anyway lol you never know !

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jay! It's not there yet but I'll check. Again later. About the plowing: yes they do a very good job at keeping it plowed, but I have no idea who does it. I'd like to know so we also could give them a few bucks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not an ice fisherman but enjoyed reading all your posts; you guys are pretty HARDCORE! lol

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
you should try one of the ice fishing pickerel tournies Wannafish. they are a ball.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm not an ice fisherman but enjoyed reading all your posts; you guys are pretty HARDCORE! lol
Wannafish ,
Ive been HOOKED on fishing since I was a pup ! My dad and my gramps would take me fishing as often as they could, I just loved it.. One day my dad took me trout fishing , I spent hours and hours casting into a fishless pool . Dad knew we had ended up in a bad spot but I was confident I was going to catch a fish ! He patiently sat and let me cast over and over and over again ..Im sure I drowned 60 worms that day and never had a bite... Eventually it was time to pack up and go home , Dad could see the dissapointment on my face as we loaded the rods back into the trunk .. Dad couldnt let me go home empty handed he decided to take me to a Ufish.. One after another I pulled them out .. Happiest day of my life to that point and the most expensive day for my dad LOL ... I dont really have a point to this story other then it makes me happy to tell it .. Just one of many ! We all have em ... And now I have 2 kids of my own 4 and 2 who love to go fishing. I get to pass on all the things Ive learned now .. Circle of life LOL.. My son caught his first smelt , on his own when he was 2 ... This year its my baby girls turn as shes now 2 ! I figure I get them hooked on fishing I'll never be without a fishing buddy !! What more can you possibly ask for !

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ipop, I can't deny it's tempting but with all the time/money I put into flyfishing for trout/salmon each season I don't think I could swing another sport. However, if I ever get fly tying down and need a winter pastime I'll certainly consider it.

A2F, enjoyed your story! I got my son hooked on salmon fishing this summer so now he's my favorite fishing buddy and it's done wonders for our relationship. Better late than never (he's 22)

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ Wannafish: if you think you might want to try it out, just give any of us a holler. We can have you swing by when we're there (which is pretty much all the time) and try your luck. You wouldn't even need to bring anything (except your "refreshments").

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ Wannafish: if you think you might want to try it out, just give any of us a holler. We can have you swing by when we're there (which is pretty much all the time) and try your luck. You wouldn't even need to bring anything (except your "refreshments").

·
Registered
16 Posts
A2F, enjoyed your story. I have two boys and my youngest has the fishing bug REALLY bad, just like his Dad. Posted a similar story of our recent Sturgeon hunts just this morning. Watched him land his first Sturgeon (his largest fish yet), last weekend. Pics posted on this site...

Pete,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting our shack ready this weekend also. We have an 8x10 we put at Cameron. Last year we were in the back row in about 20' of water and caught plenty. Didn't have any breakins but didn't leave our stuff there either. Had to raise our shack almost 3' over the season, I like the idea of the posts! Our floor isn't insulated but with the little wood stove, we fish in our T shirts. Our hole is 1'x8' (all along the back wall) and works well. Last year we had it on skids but had a hell of a time getting it back on the trailer. This year I'm modifying an old popup trailer frame with a wide axle to mount permanently.

Wannafish, c'mon down this winter and pop in. I drive a black Tacoma.

Pete,

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pete , Really enjoyed the sturgeon read ! For the last few years I've wanted to get out fishing in that area but just haven't gotten there.. Its a shame because I have the boat for it and I live East Side nice and close. Maybe next year we can arrange a trip out even if its say a week night out for a couple hours.

I got a little more work done on my shack today as well. I mounted 4 12v RV lights and ran all my wiring to one corner where my power source will be ..Always tinkering with something. Because of my fear of bad ice last year I didn't put my shack out at all.. This year its going out for sure but not leaving out, ill haul it out fish and take it off. It sounds like a pain in the ass and it might end up being one but well see. As I said in an earlier post I have a family member very close to the ice at Cameron rd so the plan is to leave it at the house hook on and go and take it back when done. Based on my dads and my schedule we will only get out together a hand full of times this year anyway..I did however take my 4 man portable out there a couple times last year.. We set up at the far left of all the shacks and did very well.. The last time we went there were a couple guys just leaving their shack, said they were not getting anything . Kind of bad news but we set up anyway , It was non stop action! Doubles , Triples, one after another. We literally had a hard time reaching bottom before we got another bite ! It was fun ! There were not very big but numbers were outstanding .

I'm trying to learn how to post pics here but if you check out MY Gallery on my profile page you can check out the building of my shack.. I really need to get some more updated pics up ...

Again as i said in an earlier post, I've had a few shacks over the years and last year decided to build a shack that will last my lifetime and Hopefully my kids will use it long after Im gone ! Im young so its got to last lol !! I got tired of the heavy 3-4 man work to get the shack on and off the ice , Jacking it up so it doesn't freeze in when it -30 out , And now in the past recent years we now have to worry about vandalism. Now I've never left gear in my shack other then some spare line , hooks, and maybe a cheap scoop. Always left the door unlocked for people to use. The holes were always open , the shack was used and no mess was left behind. I thought it was great. Nowadays you just cant do that any more at least not in the last 5-10 years, Its a shame really.. So we decided to go big LOL

I really like the idea of building on a trailer ! Especially with the way things are going , Shorter seasons ect.. Good luck with the trailer and have fun making it ! Always happy to read about progress so keep the updates coming ! I'm getting pretty excited about this season , and cant wait to see how my shack actually trailers ! Hope it doesn't fall off !

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Jay, do you have to have it licenced or registered? If so, how difficult was that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts