New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
No luck this year but I can't whine because I get picked more often than anyone I know, including some very decent waters at some very decent times.
Good luck to everyone else.

·
Registered
576 Posts
this is the fifth year in a row that my party has been successful in the draw, looks like Squirrel Falls in August!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
SULLIVAN-July 24- HOO HA!
Morfrost,

What's access to Sullivan like? I'm in there in august. DO you really need a 4X4? How much of the road requires 4X4 or quad? Can I hike the last part in after parking my car?

Anyone else out there that can shed some light on Sullivan access would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You can drive right to the camp in a compact car at Sullivan. Easy access.
The walk downhill to the river is a bit of a stretch, nothing too onerous, just a bit far compared to other camps. Seems a lot farther walking back uphill to the camp at night, though! If you have an atv, there is a bike trail that follows almost the entire length of the stretch.
Big camp, maybe the biggest in the system. Bring the wife and kids and neighbours and dogs and whatever, there's plenty of room in that camp.
I haven't been there in a few years but that's how the situation was last I was there. As well, either the map has the pool names all mixed up, or the signs are all wrong. At least that was the case a few years ago, might be all fixed now, and it doesn't matter anyway. It's just a nice stretch of water.
(It was a great trip. I was by myself after my partner bailed on me. Had nothing to eat but meat and the bbq died the first time I tried to light it, had to cook on an open fire for three days. The lantern broke the first night and all I had was a pen light for illumination. Ah, a trip to remember!)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I.R.B.F., I was there last year, early July. It was the most productive fishing trip on Crown waters of my entire life. Your timing should be just about perfect.
My best fishing was at the Crawford Pool itself, very early and very late in the day.
There were enough fish there that you could toy with them and tease them with the fly. It was all C&R anyway so I was just having fun with 'em.
Black&White pool was also pretty good but nothing like Crawford Pool.
Camp has running water, which is a bonus though I wouldn't drink it. I don't go there to drink water anyway.
I didn't have a preferred fly during my time there. It didn't seem to matter on that weekend!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can drive right to the camp in a compact car at Sullivan. Easy access.
The walk downhill to the river is a bit of a stretch, nothing too onerous, just a bit far compared to other camps. Seems a lot farther walking back uphill to the camp at night, though! If you have an atv, there is a bike trail that follows almost the entire length of the stretch.
Big camp, maybe the biggest in the system. Bring the wife and kids and neighbours and dogs and whatever, there's plenty of room in that camp.
I haven't been there in a few years but that's how the situation was last I was there. As well, either the map has the pool names all mixed up, or the signs are all wrong. At least that was the case a few years ago, might be all fixed now, and it doesn't matter anyway. It's just a nice stretch of water.
(It was a great trip. I was by myself after my partner bailed on me. Had nothing to eat but meat and the bbq died the first time I tried to light it, had to cook on an open fire for three days. The lantern broke the first night and all I had was a pen light for illumination. Ah, a trip to remember!)
Lobsterman,

Thanks for all the great info! Your insight is appreciated. Sounds like your trip truly was one to remember! Did you catch any fish is the only part you left out : )

regards.

·
Registered
888 Posts
There is a good reason I left that part out.

Actually, it was early September when I was there, not a good time for that stretch. I got it on the mini-draw so it only cost pennies to get away and enjoy a weekend of peace and quiet and do a little ATVing. (Only have to pay for one person.)
I barely even fished. Not many fish in that stretch in September. But I sure had fun. Sometimes it's good to get away from the human species for a few days. In fact, it's always good, not just sometimes good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OMG Thanks lobsterman! That sounds fantastic. I was worried I might be too early. This date was one of my last picks but I'll take whatever I can get

As you can see I'm new to this forum and finding lots of interesting posts! Being an avid NB fisherman who enjoys, salmon, brookies and mackerel, (well anything that'll get me out on the water really) I think I'm gonna enjoy myself here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Irbf you struck gold man... camp pool is always reliable.. low or high water.... next pool upriver is my favorite.. don't recall the name.. we called it the honey hole... bridge pool is excellent... fish from a lawnchair. Last time there the salmon were horny for brown bugs ... time before that was bombers.... bring a selection

1 - 20 of 43 Posts