New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard in some places 2 stroke are being outlawed due to pollution etc.

Any developments in NB on this?

I'm planning on getting an outboard - my first one - and am wondering about rules and regulations I need to be aware of. Don't want to get a 2 stroke if they will soon be illegal...

I see something about an operator's card pinned to the top here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I heard in some places 2 stroke are being outlawed due to pollution etc.

Any developments in NB on this?

I'm planning on getting an outboard - my first one - and am wondering about rules and regulations I need to be aware of. Don't want to get a 2 stroke if they will soon be illegal...

I see something about an operator's card pinned to the top here.

Thanks.
They are not illegal here but there are places you can't use them. (water supplies for cities etc)

Here is a link showing where they are banned.

Banned List

·
Registered
208 Posts
Redtail, if you choose to go with a 4 stroke, you won't regret it. I bought a Yamaha 4 stroke 5 years ago and I should have sooner. Gas mileage is unbelievable, you can talk, not yell,to the other people in the boat and no gas-oil smell. I'm not into speed so I can't really say whether theres any difference between a 4 stroke and 2 stroke that way. I dropped 10 hp. when I switched and with the boat loaded I'm not seeing much difference.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Better to buy a 4 stroke for sure.. I bought a used package deal , boat motor , trailer , the whole yars .. The price Is what made me buy it.. It has a 25 hp 2 stroke .. Im currently looking for a 30 - 40hp 4 stroke myself...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Redtail, yes you need an operators card.
I got mine online thru the site sponsor that you see at the top of the page.
It was quick and easy.
This is all going to change this year. They are going to change the testing rules so you HAVE to take a classroom course and the test will be much tougher. (And I suspect the price will go up accordingly.)
The card is good for life. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Redtail, if you choose to go with a 4 stroke, you won't regret it. I bought a Yamaha 4 stroke 5 years ago and I should have sooner. Gas mileage is unbelievable, you can talk, not yell,to the other people in the boat and no gas-oil smell. I'm not into speed so I can't really say whether theres any difference between a 4 stroke and 2 stroke that way. I dropped 10 hp. when I switched and with the boat loaded I'm not seeing much difference.
I know that this year the wardens are going to get tough on the 4-stroke designated lakes,having said that I read the info from the D.F.O describing what lakes they can and cannot be used on.My question is, the bodies of water where no "motorized" boats can be used,is it permissable to use a canoe or canoe with an electric motor,or yak for that matter?The reason I'm asking is that Spruce Lake has some god awful big smallies in it and I have been put off the lake by City workers when I have been fishing from my canoe.I know for a fact that the City of Saint John does not own all the land along the lake although they have a lot of it posted.The way I read the rule is if the body of water is off limits to moto
rized boats it can be fished with "non-motorized" craft.I wrote to the web site that the provice has for any questions on this issue but my questions were refered to the local boys and 2 weeks later I still haven't heard a word.Any body out there got any answers?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I know that this year the wardens are going to get tough on the 4-stroke designated lakes,having said that I read the info from the D.F.O describing what lakes they can and cannot be used on.My question is, the bodies of water where no "motorized" boats can be used,is it permissable to use a canoe or canoe with an electric motor,or yak for that matter?The reason I'm asking is that Spruce Lake has some god awful big smallies in it and I have been put off the lake by City workers when I have been fishing from my canoe.I know for a fact that the City of Saint John does not own all the land along the lake although they have a lot of it posted.The way I read the rule is if the body of water is off limits to moto
rized boats it can be fished with "non-motorized" craft.I wrote to the web site that the provice has for any questions on this issue but my questions were refered to the local boys and 2 weeks later I still haven't heard a word.Any body out there got any answers?
Gmac
I have friends that fish Spruce Lake and Ludgate Lake quite a bit using a canoe with electrics. As far as I know it is perfectly legal.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Gmac
I have friends that fish Spruce Lake and Ludgate Lake quite a bit using a canoe with electrics. As far as I know it is perfectly legal.
Thanks,I just got the word from the D.N.R.,as far as they are concerned there are no regulations barring fishing from a canoe or yak in Spruce Lake.However,they did reccomend checking with the City of Saint John to see if they have that incorporated in their by-laws.That's my next step. Thanks again,I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Thanks,I just got the word from the D.N.R.,as far as they are concerned there are no regulations barring fishing from a canoe or yak in Spruce Lake.However,they did reccomend checking with the City of Saint John to see if they have that incorporated in their by-laws.That's my next step. Thanks again,I'll keep you posted.
I would be quite interested in hearing what the city has to say, as far as I know it is outside city boundaries, but they do have no trespassing signs all along the highway

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Redtail, yes you need an operators card.
I got mine online thru the site sponsor that you see at the top of the page.
It was quick and easy.
This is all going to change this year. They are going to change the testing rules so you HAVE to take a classroom course and the test will be much tougher. (And I suspect the price will go up accordingly.)
The card is good for life. Hope this helps.
Is that the Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator's Card?

Thanks for the warning!!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yeah that's it Redtail.
Get it while the gettin' is good!
They've just been handing out warnings to anyone they stop who doesn't have the card, but they said last summer that the big crackdown is coming this year. (Of course, they always say that. But just in case, better safe than sorry. And there's lots of good info to learn when taking the course, though it is too easy to cheat.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started reading for it yesterday.

There is a lot of material there but it's all good to know.

Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts