New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, my 11 yr old son and a friend of mine finally made it to crooked creek this past Saturday to try our luck at landing our first ever rainbow trout. We were by the falls at 6 am after driving for a little over 2 hours when my friend landed his very first 13" rainbow trout just 50 ft up stream from the top of the falls, on his first cast of the day. I was happy for him but me and my son was more exited about actually seeing someone land a wild rainbow trout. never seen one before. We never got another bite after that, not even a brookie(which we found odd) till I hooked on to my own rainbow trout far up stream. 13" but he fought like a 4lb fish. I hooked on to a much larger one on my first cast on this run but came off the hook on the shore while I was messing around with my gopro. My son never got bite but he was happy that he was there for the experience. No one else got a bite after that. Hiked back to the truck but couldn't make it up to the covered bridge, there was a huge concrete pipe sticking out across the road, didn't want to risk bottoming out. tried fishing from the bridge on the main road headed up a little bit further up stream but only my friend manage to get any bites and landed 2 brookies under 9". The water level was low it seems from looking at the previous high water mark, similar to fishing the hammond river this time of year, and the water was not as ice cold as I was expecting. Similar temp as much of the other brooks we fish in, almost warm enough to swim in. We're planning on making several more trips later on the season. It was quite a memorable trip, specially having my son there with us, who's fishing addiction is worse than mine.
rainbow%20trout_zpsy0mcut36.jpg

·
Registered
598 Posts
What a nice looking fish! congratulations. The fight's quite unbelievable if you're used to brookies, isn't it ?

brent

·
Registered
76 Posts
Beauty! I've never had any luck at crooked creek but I've heard so many good things. Glad to hear you caught this above the falls... means I wasn't wasting my time up there in previous trips. Hoping to get back out there sometime this year and catch a rainbow or two myself!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've caught a 23" 4lbs sea run brown trout before and this rainbow trout put up a much harder fight. It decided to take another run when I almost had it on shore that I started to worry about the nicks and scrape marks on my 8lb flourocarbon leader from bumping and scraping on the rocks. Good thing my leader held up and I manage to land this beauty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were dead drifting night crawlers and trout magnets...we got the rainbows on the night crawlers. We use a sliding bobber and bobber stoppers on 8lbs fluorocarbon leaders about 6-8ft long attached to 15lbs braided lines. We just cast upstream from where we think the fish are hiding and let the water current naturally drift the bait towards them. We adjust the bobber with the stopper depending on how deep the run is to make sure we keep the bait in the strike zone and not dragging on the bottom of the river.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend caught his on his first cast juts above the falls(30-40ft from the falls) in one of the small pools. We never got another hit after that....till almost 2 hours up stream. I hooked on to a much larger one that came off the hook on shore while I was messing around with my gopro. We moved up stream maybe a block or two after that but decided to go back to the spot where I lost a fish because there were not getting any more bites....that's when I landed the 2nd rainbow trout of the day, 13"....nothing else bit after....we even tried from the mouth of the river from the main road and went a little ways up...my friend managed to land only 2 small brookies about 8-9". We figured we were there too early.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We walked all the way up to the spot where there was a there was a old metal cable hanging across the river....looked like an old zip line?....But there was a trail before that where it leads you back to the main road. The hill was not as steep as the one going to the falls...looked like an ATV trail...then it was just a little under 30 mins walk back to the lookout point where we parked. I saved a copy of an off line google satellite map on my phone for that area, it helped pin point our location on the map in relation to the main road. It helps a lot with navigating around unfamiliar places Good luck on your trip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll keep my eye out for that! The last time I went, I was so tired so I decided to take a ''shortcut'' through the woods lol.. Luckily, I checked my compass before I left and followed it on the way back and it worked unbelievably.. never again though :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts