New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

12 Annual Monte Farrel Shad Derby

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Old Guide 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
  • Where: Salmon River
  • When: Saturday June 11th, 2016
  • Breakfast: Queen's County Inn from 8:00 a.m.
  • to 10:00 a.m.
  • Tournament Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. All participants must be registered by 10:00 am June 11th, 2016
  • Designated Waters: From the Mouth of Little Forks to Rte # 10 Salmon River Bridge, Chipman.
  • Fly, Spinning and Bait casting rods are only means of capture.
  • Prizes: 100% Cash payout 1s t, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place. All prizes to be awarded at the Queen's County Inn at 7:30 p.m. must be present to win draw prizes.
  • Limited to First 50 entries only
  • One cash Prize per angler
  • Cash prize amount to be determined by the number of entries. Total weight of two shad to qualify.
  • Weigh in at 6:00 p.m.
  • Entry Fee: $20.00 - Breakfast Included.
    1. Shad Derby Admission Compulsoary & Mini tournament (Optional);Yellow Perch, River Chub entry Fee $5.00

Register at Goodwin's Fly Shop (36 Willow St., Minto) or by Contacting Ralph Goodwin (327-6231) or Sam Daigle (385-2298) OR ANY Questions e-mail (scatergn@nbnet.nb.ca)

Come Out And Enjoy A Day Of Shad Fishing!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
To those who it interests,
The annual tournament is set to take place on June 11th, 2016 and we are excited for a few changes to make this great day more enjoyable for everyone. We are including a mini multiple species tournament which includes Yellow Perch and Chub. The two species will be measured separately for length. The lengths must be verified by another angler or a clear picture of the fish next to a tape measure is also acceptable. There will be gold, silver and bronze medals to be awarded to the top three anglers. The fee to enter this mini tournament is $5. If you qualify for the top cash prizes in the Shad tournament you do not qualify for the mini tournament prizes. All proceeds for the Mini Registration will be donated to the Canadian Tire Jump Start Program.
Register at Goodwin's Fly Shop (36 Willow St., Minto) or by Contacting Ralph Goodwin (327-6231) or Sam Daigle (385-2298)

#4 ·
Can't wait. Landed 11 yesterday and lost another 5 on the Kennebacasis, which by far is the best I've ever done fishing shad. I've got all kinds of false confidence heading into the shad derby this year! lol

#6 ·
They are a terribly under rated Fish RetoBoy.. In fact in Nova Scotia they are a desiginated Sport Fish.. Home Brew great that you are getting some, but don't burn up all your Shad Fishing Luck before the Derby :)

#7 ·
Hopefully I can make it for this Derby. It's a great idea and gets people out to enjoy this sport.

Can anyone recommend a good setup with flys or spinners. I've never gone after shad and would like to be ready for the day. Are there good areas for shore fishing? I was around the tunnels the other day and seen a lot of fish splashing about on the cove side.

Thanks

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
FishingNB, the "gold standard" is a special weighted fly, good for fly or spinner, called a "shad dart". Most are white and red, or yellow and red, and you can pick 'em up at any fishing store if they're still in stock. A lot of anglers tie their own variants, but you want something that will sink and can be reeled in quickly and I've had a little luck with a fly with those colours with a splitshot just in front of it. I'm not the most experienced shad angler but I'm told and have seen that the shad like "a lot of movement" and will chase an annoying passing fly that's up a few feet from the bottom in a pool. They fight like heck but have fragile mouths so ensure your drag is set light if you do hook one.

Be aware that shad routinely group with gaspereau, a smaller fish that looks a lot like them, and they'll often splash around in mixed pools with their larger cousins so that's what you may be seeing. If you can, go out with someone that's fished them before for tips as they can be very stubborn to get to hit.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
You're welcome and good luck.

I nailed one of them at dawn today on a fast retrieve of a weighted yellow and red fly, fish was 21" and about 4 pounds or so. Others have caught many to dozens but I'm very happy with my one.

It's a thrill when they sort-of fight at a distance as you start to bring them in, and then when they see the kayak, "bzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzz" goes the reel, and then it gets really fun.

#13 ·
Thanks Atoqwa'su. I'm in Quispamsis and will certainly check out Doiron's. I purchased my Temple Forks fly rod several years back from Ralph Goodwin and I see he is listed as a contact for the Derby. Looks like I'll need to drop into his shop someday soon and see what he has as well.

Sounds like you had fun Retro. Great to hear.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ralph has been Tying Shad Flies and he has some Dandies for sure , I seen him use some successfully this week , he usually brings them to the Derby. As far as fishing locations go, we will be more than willing to suggest to you locations were we have hooked shad and have access to the river.

With the reports I have been able to get from the commerical fisherman in Grand Lake the Shad are now running Heavy and some days are releasing a 100+ out of the trap nets not counting what is getting aorund them in the Lake , they only head to one River out of Grand lake in any graet numbers and that is Salmon River.

With the Rain forecasted this week we should be looking at very good conditions , but fishing is still fishing and you always need a little luck as well ( and the right fly :) )

Ralph and I got out this week

DSC01848.jpg
image hosting

DSC01851.jpg
free image upload

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.