#1 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

I'm curious as to how different people rig for smelt when angling. I've been experimenting and found the most consistency with a simple small-hooks set-up with three Mustad #10's tied in drop-loop knot, and a quarter-ounce sinker. I know a few people prefer to use a coloured or flashy jig as a weight instead. And my mackerel rig started off with a few hits earlier this season but has been effectively dead since then. 

#2 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

I've been using the same three #8 red octopus style hooks by Kamikazi for the third year now. They work great.

#3 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

I just switched from #8 Mustads I believe to a larger #6. I tie my rigs using 10# mono or whatever else is lying around. I tie 3 hooks onto the main rig using seperate leaders if that makes sense. Also experimenting with a heavier 1/4 oz. Sinker but usually use 1/8.
If f = the optimal number of rods to own
and x = your current number of rods
then f = x + 1

#4 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSaint John N.B.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

I use a #8 or #10 long shank salmon fly hook .... Very sharp , small hook , but a nice length shank to hold hook ... I always run 2 hooks above weight and 1 below ... As for weight I use a 1/4 or 1/2 ounce weight .. Drop unti weight is on bottom and 1 full turn of real up ... Just enough to take weight off bottom and put a slight strain on Rod .. I use a fluorocarbon line ... Shrimp for bait , and I out fish my shack easy 3-1 ! I often jig smelt when they bump my line ! I get more tommy cod with the bottom hook but that's ok ,they just go back down the hole and are still fun to catch ..
Ok old man winter ! Take the panties off and get making some ice !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smelt, hook, sinker, ice fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users