14 replies to this topic

#1 skooter

skooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

Hey all, 

New to fishing (at 30 years young) since my uncle passed and I inherited his old tackle box/rod.  Heard all kinds of story's about how fun smallies are and just looking for any advice/places to go around SJ / Hampton area this coming summer.  Also willing to travel really anywhere southern NB.  Would typically be shore fishing though have access to kayak.  Any advice much appreciated.

#2 Guest_GCFishguy_*

Guest_GCFishguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:09 PM

Smallmouth are fun, pound for pound they're the scrappiest freshwater fish around.  (I read that somewhere..not sure if it's actually true)      

Pickerel are a ball too....if you get some lighter baits and work the top water......  They don't fight like bass, but if you're cranking a quick top-water lure and watching the wake behind your lure, and a big snot-rocket makes a few of those big sideways smacks at it.....weeeeee!

For me, any fishing is fun...go light on the gear and perch and sunfish can be a blast.  It's all relative.

Since you're completely new, I'd suggest not limiting yourself to smallies.....you're in a great spot...awesome sea trout run (okay, a couple runs) in the Kennebecasis, lots of bass in the Saint John River system...I've driven from Moncton several times to fish pickerel around Hatfield Point....(No, I won't say exactly where....but it doesn't matter....fish live in the water...and if you drive down the road in Hatfield Point, it's not hard to see where the pickerel fishing spot is)  If you're fishing in the water, you're fishing in the right spot.

Just because there's 9 guys standing THERE and nobody over THERE doesn't mean their spot is better than the empty one.  It just means that one guy was standing on the bank not catching anything, and as people come along, they assume that guy must be in the best spot so now there's 9 guys standing there not catching anything instead of just one.  The fish are where the fish are....And rarely do you catch a fish wearing a collar and leash...they're free to swim around wherever they please... 

if you're new and have nobody to show you where to fish, fish were there's other people fishing...at first.  if you like being around other people, fine.  Personally, I like to wade a small river for hours, flyfish with light gear, catch 8" trout all day and never see another human being.    But whatever.....that's me.   

If you see water, and it's legal to fish it, stop and fish it.  If you don't catch anything, it's still more fun than working.....and if you DO hit some fish in an unlikely or rarely-fished spot, you just logged your first 'secret spot'. Keep a journal, mark them on your GPS...whatever.  

There's not a whole lot of places that you NEED a boat.  Just this summer I was invited to go fishing Muskie....up and down the lake we trolled, miles and miles....got back to the little dock, guy in the first boat climbs out onto the dock, does a cast for fun while waiting for the 2nd boat to arrive, bam..fish on.  Son of a......

Sometimes I'll pick a river, and just drive the road that follows the river (because there's always a road that follows the river) and everywhere I can access the river, I'll try it. That way you get a feel for the river, where it's flat and boring, where it's twisty with lots of pools...then start parking, and fishing a whole stretch.  The only part that sucks about that is the walk back..but if you find some sweet spots that others don't know about, it's worth it.

Anyway.....it's been a long winter, and so far I haven't spread all my crap out on the family room floor and started cabin-fever-organizing.....but I feel it coming on soon....

#3 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

Go to the forum page here and scroll down to "canoes/kayaks" There are lots of kayak fishermen in your area who can give u some advice on where to start. There is a kayak group and if you click on Joe Tilleys name on this site you will get lots of info and videos !! Cheers

#4 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hi Skooter!    Sounds like you should join up with us in the 'Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers'.    We are a social group with weekly outings and no requirements on which or how many outings you make, just come fish with us when you can and there will be lots of people eager to answer questions, give tips, tell inappropriate jokes, trash talk and perhaps even catch fish.    We have people of all ages and experience levels and will be doing outings for every type of fish our area offers.

I get out kayak fishing on average of 3 times a week in the summer, at least once with the group and then other times either solo or with one of my young boys.    You'd be more than welcome to come along!

Our kayak fishing group is going to have a pre-season kick off this Saturday.    We will plan out our summer schedule, events, brainstorm ideas to make the summer more enjoyable...etc.  PM me if your interested in joining and I'll send you my address.

Some links you can check out while waiting for this bloody snow to melt!

My personal blog “NB Kayak Fishing” – http://nbkayakfishing.ca

The NB canoe/kayak fishing derbies -- https://nbfishingderibies.com

The Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers --  https://sites.google...e/gsjyakanglers

Several videos of kayak fishing and sturgeon fishing on my YouTube Page -- https://www.youtube....oetilley/videos

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#5 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hi Skooter!    Sounds like you should join up with us in the 'Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers'.    We are a social group with weekly outings and no requirements on which or how many outings you make, just come fish with us when you can and there will be lots of people eager to answer questions, give tips, tell inappropriate jokes, trash talk and perhaps even catch fish.    We have people of all ages and experience levels and will be doing outings for every type of fish our area offers.

I get out kayak fishing on average of 3 times a week in the summer, at least once with the group and then other times either solo or with one of my young boys.    You'd be more than welcome to come along!

Our kayak fishing group is going to have a pre-season kick off this Saturday.    We will plan out our summer schedule, events, brainstorm ideas to make the summer more enjoyable...etc.  PM me if your interested in joining and I'll send you my address.

Some links you can check out while waiting for this bloody snow to melt!

My personal blog “NB Kayak Fishing” – http://nbkayakfishing.ca

The NB canoe/kayak fishing derbies -- https://nbfishingderibies.com

The Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers --  https://sites.google...e/gsjyakanglers

Several videos of kayak fishing and sturgeon fishing on my YouTube Page -- https://www.youtube....oetilley/videos

Best way to learn a lot in a hurry would be to join this group if you kayak fish. Lots of experience with this group, and they seem to have a blast fishing together.

#6 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

...Just this summer I was invited to go fishing Muskie....up and down the lake we trolled, miles and miles....got back to the little dock, guy in the first boat climbs out onto the dock, does a cast for fun while waiting for the 2nd boat to arrive, bam..fish on.  Son of a......

Just wondering what lake you caught the muskie on from the dock, as our muskies canada chapter (www.muskiesnb.ca) duesn't have much anecdotal or picture proof of muskies being caught below oromocto, where there are lakes to fish for them. I'm sure they are there, and will inevitably make their way down there in numbers, but we don't have many members fishing down there and we don't have too many people confirming their presence yet. You can send me a PM if you don't want to announce the spot to the world on the forums. I'm not looking for a specific spot, just the body of water you were on - besides we are a C&R club anyway.

#7 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

Hey Scott, do u remember Glasier and a muskie caught from the dock, haha! You netted it !!

#8 Guest_GCFishguy_*

Guest_GCFishguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

Just wondering what lake you caught the muskie on from the dock

Okay, so I'm typing a reply to this, but I keep getting incapacitated by laughter at the irony of a 5-line detailed question about where a fish was caught when YOU were the one that netted it.

I kept picturing the look that would be on your face when you clued in, and I'd start laughing again....hence, Casey got his reply in before mine.

In fairness to you, I said I was from southern NB, and didn't actually mention that the lake in my story was way the hell up north....

Fairness or not, I'm still chuckling.....

#9 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

Let me see if I remember it....first boat to the dock was painted flat green..I think they had a bimini top of some sort.  Had a couple of real dorks in it...

The captain ties up the boat, and hurls this day-glow orange salami out across the water..."Fish on!!"

I'm up the water a ways, passenger in boat #2, and haven't got a muskie yet the whole trip, muttering, "Son of a....."

Captain of boat #1 play the fish in, the first mate nets it.  The net-man had on a grey shirt, blue bandana thing around his neck, straw cowboy hat........he looks a lot like the guy in your avatar...

Ringing any bells yet?  hehe  

Ahhh, the irony....

But yes, I'm from southern NB, and I didn't actually say the body of water involved was a heck of a long ways north of here....I can see how you'd get confused...Mr net-man..  ;-)

*Edit*  Dammit...Casey beat me to it.  haha

Haha. Hi Andrew! It's been a while! You should send me pics from that trip, as I have on my list to make a video but I was waiting to get some of your pics first. You have some really good ones! Great trip! [email protected]

#10 Guest_GCFishguy_*

Guest_GCFishguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

Haha. Hi Andrew! It's been a while! You should send me pics from that trip, as I have on my list to make a video but I was waiting to get some of your pics first. You have some really good ones! Great trip! [email protected]

I'll send some your way!

Skooter - you can have your thread back now....sorry for the hijack!  :)

#11 skooter

skooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for all the advice...I should back up by saying I received all this gear last midsummer and just kinda winged it for the summer.  I did find a little "secret" brook that I was getting many 7-10 inch trout out of with worm and bobber, and i caught a few pickeral with a silver something.  I tried for SMB but didn't have a clue what to use or where to fish so needless to say I was skunked.  Hoping this summer will be better.

#12 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to this place, skooter. Strongly suggest you take up some of the offers you see here. I am also three-years-new to fishing and learned a tremendous amount from others on these forums. If someone's offering, and you've discovered you really like this fishing stuff, take them up on it. 

#13 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

Hey Skooter,

Do you live in or near Saint John? If so, you should pm homebrew and let him know. He's hosting a get-together at his place on Saturday. We're going to brainstorm possible kayak/canoe fishing outings for 2015 over some wobbly pops. You should come.

#14 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

Welcome to NB Fishing!
If f = the optimal number of rods to own
and x = your current number of rods
then f = x + 1

#15 Amace

Amace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSaint john

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

If you're looking to fish, get that kayak!  My family and I got 'yaks and joined the Greater SJ kayak anglers group last spring and there's NO COMPARISON to how many fish you'll catch in a kayak compared to on land.  Get your licence, get that kayak, and don't look back! We'd love to see you out on the water and show you some spots!   :D The trout, smallies, pickerel, stripers, and sturgeon are all waiting for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users