#1 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hi, all. Thinking about these wonderful little fishies last night, I've heard a number of stories about larger smelt being found at certain fishing sites and am curious and would like to make a quick study of it.

Can y'all please post the location and average sizes of the smelts you're getting, head-on directly out of the water, with any exceptions?

For example, Friday at Dominion I got half a dozen (missed the tides) ranging from 5" to 6", with one exception hitting 9 1/2 inches and dwarfing the rest.

#2 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

• Cameron has pretty much all 5"-7" with the odd 10-12".
  • Bellisle has pretty much all 10"ers with the odd behemoth mackerel sized smelts.

#3 Joe Branscombe

Joe Branscombe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationCumberland Bay

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Grand lake we get average size is 10 - 12 inches  have seen a couple in the 15 inch range 

#4 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

Really seems that only the biggest baddest smelt make it to Grand..or perhaps they are the only ones to survive all the predators on teh way up..we've caught big big pickerel suspended in really deep water (say 10 feet down in 60 feet of water)over gravel bottom...hardly pickerel territory..my guess they are cruising trying to pick off a few....smelt in grand are also very predatory..small live minnows work great for them.my .biggest to date is 14" late last year, but  ive seen bigger

#5 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. 

I'm guessing a big part of the size differential is because the bigger fish are stronger and can make the journey better, and keep to the deeper waters when traveling upriver. So Dominion gets a mix of small-to-midsize because everything is passing through, Cameron/Renforth are where the swarms of little guys run out of gumption and generally stop, and way up at Grand is where the big'uns pull over.

Makes me wonder if a fishing hole set up much further out on the water in deep spots near Dominion might pull up some big ones earlier in the season. Not something I'd try, mind you, as the ice conditions are probably a lot more suspect given the proximity to the Reversing Falls, although I did see a few people set up way, way out last year (possibly going for hake).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smelt, size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users