#1 Joe Branscombe

Joe Branscombe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationCumberland Bay

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

Just wondering if any one has tried this or  not  . I watched this video  on you tube  about  it

here it is if you  like  to watch it 

http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=BtZ1Bi... ce Fishing for smelts , The day i hit 41 dozen, jan 29, 2013 (part 2)

#2 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:29 AM

I always use The Deadly Red Yarn, even spearing them.

It works! Obviously.

#3 Morton

Morton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

What an aweful display of over fishing, absolutely ridiculous, I understand that smelt are plentiful but that's just disgusting.

#4 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

I agree, that's way too many smelts unless you are a commercial fisherman, I guess. By ya, the red yarn works. Not as good as shrimp or prawn, in my personal experience, but it does work.

#5 sevy75

sevy75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

It works for me, I have the red yarns on a fishing line and I keep jigging and with time they usually come to check it out.. however I haven't seen much smelt in last couple weeks :(   I'm in Shediac Bridge area..

#6 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

.. however I haven't seen much smelt in last couple weeks :(   

Probably because the lads up north caught them all. :P

#7 remister

remister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

It's all about presentation the red is blood to smelts  ill let you guys in on a secret ;)  (for spearing)  mix in sardines in oatmeal mix it well throw it in the hole while it sinks slowly pass the red yard with something shiny as weight through the falling oatmeal/sardines works almost everytime, and 41(dozen) is WAY to many but its still nothing compared to guys getting thousands everyday in their nets ...

#8 MackTrev

MackTrev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:02 AM

the guy in that video was native, he replied back to a few posts that it was "his right" to catch 41 dozen. Brutal. 

#9 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

the guy in that video was native, he replied back to a few posts that it was "his right" to catch 41 dozen. Brutal. 

And then when there are none left to catch, it'll be him and ones like him that will be the first to ***** about it.

#10 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

41 dozen....  :(    Shameful

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#11 Bigbass

Bigbass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

I'm not sure I see the difference between this guy keeping 41 dozen smelt and a commercial fishermen killing umpteen dozen more?  Since he is Native it is within his rights to keep as many as he wants.  He is sharing these with other people; not just keeping them all for himself, so they are not going to waste.  The smelt population doesn't seem to be endangered and I doubt he is catching 41 dozen every day all winter. So what is the problem here?

#12 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

I'm not sure I see the difference between this guy keeping 41 dozen smelt and a commercial fishermen killing umpteen dozen more?  Since he is Native it is within his rights to keep as many as he wants.  He is sharing these with other people; not just keeping them all for himself, so they are not going to waste.  The smelt population doesn't seem to be endangered and I doubt he is catching 41 dozen every day all winter. So what is the problem here?

I'm sorry if you got the false impression that people here said that what the commercial fishermen are doing is right, because it's not. So, if the commercial fishermen are going to jump off a bridge, does that mean that the first nations should jump off a bridge too?

#13 Bigbass

Bigbass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'm sorry if you got the false impression that people here said that what the commercial fishermen are doing is right, because it's not. So, if the commercial fishermen are going to jump off a bridge, does that mean that the first nations should jump off a bridge too?

What are the commercial fishermen doing wrong?

#14 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

What are the commercial fishermen doing wrong?

Seriously???

#15 duckboy2010

duckboy2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Locationoromocto

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

As usual DFO has everything under control   :unsure:

From the integrated smelt fishery management plan :

4.3 Stock assessment

Even though research cruises for ground fish and for herring mention the presence of smelt, there

has been no research exclusively focussed on smelt. On the whole, there is very little scientific

information on the smelt fishery or on the dynamics of populations in the southern part of the Gulf

of St. Lawrence. Except for the Northwest and Southwest Miramichi, there have been no recent

estimates of population size or catch rate and it is generally agreed that actual landings are not

known. Growth rates are known but the natural mortality rate of the populations has not been

determined. In the absence of estimates regarding these parameters, the Science Branch cannot

advise on a level of conservation, an optimum harvesting rate or a level of sustainable catches.

http://www.dfo-mpo.g...rary/343797.pdf

The reported landings in the document suggest the population is stable but the data is now ten years old and according to the above paragraph unreliable.

#16 Bigbass

Bigbass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

Seriously???

Seriously.  Please explain.  I really don't know much about the commercial smelt fishery in New Brunswick except that's where the ones at the grocery store come from.

#17 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

Well, you can start by reading what DuckBoy posted above and you should be able to reach your own conclusions.

#18 Bigbass

Bigbass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

Well, you can start by reading what DuckBoy posted above and you should be able to reach your own conclusions.

I did read that.  So DFO doesn't know how big the smelt population is, and they don't know what the natural mortality rate is, so they have no idea what a sustainable catch might be.  

My conclusion: either the smelt fishery is being overfished, or it is being fished sustainably, or it is being underfished.  DFO has no idea which is the case.

So what are the commercial fishermen doing wrong?

#19 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

So from that you concluded that it's possibly underfished? This conversation is over.

#20 Bigbass

Bigbass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:50 AM

So from that you concluded that it's possibly underfished? This conversation is over.

Sheesh.  Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.  Underfished is a possiblity, so is overfished and sustainably fished.  I really don't know and neither does DFO apparently.  Do you know?

You said what the commercial fishermen were doing isn't right.   I was just trying to find out what it is they are doing that you don't think is right.   Are they doing something illegal?  Or is it just the fact that they are killing fish?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users