#21 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

I've only targeted smelts once, but I was outfishing my shack mate 5:1 using gulp alive 1.5" chartreuse grubs on a size 6 or 8 jighead hook. I highly recommend them! 
625973-20121004235724-berkley-gulp-alive

#22 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:48 PM

That's what I used last winter also. Works a lot better than corn niblets and lasts a lot longer !!I also use a bit of red yarn tied around the line in a couple places. I will post a pic in the gallery. If u look close u will see the chartreuse waxies !!!

#23 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:14 PM

You guys got smelts last year on 4cm grubs??? were they pretty big smelts?

#24 MackTrev

MackTrev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:59 PM

caught smelts in the Kenny last year through the ice 15" long. which are monsters compared with the little "tinkers" I am used to in NS. lol

#25 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

Mack, what part of the kenny was that, and was it in deeper water or closer to shore?

Just about all of the ones I got at Cameron Road were of the "tinker" class - didn't even have to take the backbone out to crunch 'em down in a feed.

And I'm in the other party, that has had no luck at all with anything artificial as a lure when I did try 'em. Most of my success was through either shrimp or prawn (when I could find 'em) dipped in the "magic dust" that is corn meal. 

#26 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

The little chartreuse ones I used were only about 1/4 - 3/8" long !!

#27 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

You guys got smelts last year on 4cm grubs??? were they pretty big smelts?

Up in Campbelton area. check them out at the store. Some Canadian Tires have them. I saw them there yesterday in Oromocto. They say 1.5", but I think that is total length if you stretched out the tail straight back. The body on them are only about 1/4-1/2" at most.

#28 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:07 AM

I'm hearing reports in the lower part of the province that as of last weekend the run's just starting up at Dominion Park (Saint John area, about 10km from the mouth of the river), although things sounded quiet further up on the Kennebecasis. Any being caught at the usual inland haunts yet? Good sizes or quantities?

#29 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

sdavis I agree those  gulp works great for smelts...we use the same ones..as well as the small minnow version to catch smelts on Grand lake...smelt on Grand seem to be extremely predatory...favorite bait are small live minnows about an inch -2inches long on a single #10 or 12 octopus hook, or the gulps on a perch jig..not uncommon to get ones over a foot long..although they are in a lot less numbers than on the river

#30 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

Any smelt yet at Renforth,Cameron Road, or Public Landing???

#31 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

They're at Dominion Park in west Saint John, although not running hard yet. TheRealCraigAC and I got 10 this afternoon, ranging from 5" to 8" in length. I expect they'll be at Cameron very soon if not already there.

#32 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSaint John N.B.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:35 AM

Not up at Cameron yet .... Fished Saturday , had 6 holes being fished , for 5 hours got 1 tommy cod .... So far my shack has caught 3 smelt 6 tommy cod for 10-12 hrs of fishing ....
Ok old man winter ! Take the panties off and get making some ice !

#33 Bonz

Bonz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

I Fish, I was at Public Landing two weekends ago...of three groups fishing (no shacks yet) my sons partner caught three tommy cod...nobody caught smelt. Obviously not yet running at that time. I am planning to try again this weekend so will advise. I am interested in any updates on smelt runs in other greater SJ locations.....Cheers...Fish or cut bait...amigos

#34 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

It's still pretty early yet. Probably another two or three weeks before there's a good run at Cameron.

#35 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:48 AM

There was a half-page Belleisle Bay smelt-fishing write-up in the Tuesday Telegraph Journal (page B6). Mostly about a cluster of a few smaller-community fishers, but Renforth was mentioned as a "well organized" spot. Two guys caught one tiny smelt up there over three hours, high-fived each other and went back to fishing. At least as of the reporter's visit, I think it's fair to say there wasn't much action up there yet. :)

Cameron definitely seemed to be the best regional hot-spot last year in terms of quantity, at least compared to Dominion (can't speak for Renforth). Smelt were generally quite small (you could just crunch 'em down backbone and all!), but once the run got going in February-ish, the action was fairly consistent. 

#36 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSaint John N.B.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:14 AM

Renforth is very well organized in respect to shack placement , Cameron is very scattered . Some stay in lines and others just go where ever they want ... To me keeping in nice straight rows benifits all , it makes nice little roads in and out , and hopefully someone will plow .... By the way. If anyone knows who was owing at Cameron please thank him .... I bet a bunch of guys would chip in some $ for regular plowing, I inow I would !!!
As for smelt action , today was a good day at Cameron ... Got a few nice ones ! They are on there way in !! And tons. Of tommy cod !!!
Ok old man winter ! Take the panties off and get making some ice !

#37 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

As for smelt action , today was a good day at Cameron ... Got a few nice ones ! They are on there way in !! And tons. Of tommy cod !!!

So what does that mean, exactly? Did you get to do a smelt fry tonight? Or is that still a ways off?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users