8 replies to this topic

#1 NB Angler

NB Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

I would like to start tying my own flies the year. I'm looking at starting salmon flies and I wonder what I need to get started!

Thanks!

#2 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

If you live in the Fredericton area, the main thing you need to get started is the Fredericton Fish and Game organization.  You can find their contact info on the web, and they offer a good fly tying course over the winter months, focused on salmon flies and basic techniques, and includes direction on what materials and tools to buy, as a beginner. Took it about 30 years ago and no regrets.

brent

#3 chnclr

chnclr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMarysville NB

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Brent you must have had a great instructor-LOL-. I see that WW Doak's offers a decent starter kit.

A man's gotta believe in something;I believe I'll go fishing

#4 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

Nah, It was some curly haired stoner with sausage fingers.  Can't remember his name.  Some fool from Marysville, if I recall..... <_< :D

Seriously, yes, I learned from the best, but I understand he's gone over to the dark side, and started using crystal flash. Lordy, what's next? Beadheads?

brent

#5 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

...and I'd agree that Doak's kit looks to be just fine to get someone started.  I don't see anything there that would be considered non-essential.

(Mind you, there's no chartreuse marabou in that kit :lol: :lol: :lol:)

#6 NB Angler

NB Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

Thanks a lot...
Every time I'm in doak's I see the kit and I'm always temmtided to buy it but I never did (which is surprising). I think I might have to g there sometime and get it.

Thanks again!

#7 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:36 AM

#1, you need to get a good vise. Don't pay any less than $100 for a vise (something like a Regal). #2, get a good pair of scissors (like Dr.Slick). Everything else can be the cheap stuff.

#8 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

Stroover

Good point on the scissors, although if you did get a cheap pair with the kit to carry you over while you decide if you want to dive into the deep end, you can keep them for cutting tinsel and deer hair once you spring for better scissors.  And if you decide tying's not for you, put 'em in your shaving kit and use 'em to trim hangnails. :D

No doubt, a good vise is a treat to work with, but I must confess to having used a $16 Thompson knock-off for the first 28 years of tying.  Added a midge jaw for hooks smaller than #20.  A friend who had recently switched to a regal rotary convinced me to try one, too, and I bought a regal knock-off for about $80, and I would never go back.  

But I do think a Thompson/Sunrise would be good enough to find out if you really want to tie.  Whaddya think?

Brent

#9 bucbug

bucbug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationHaneytown

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

Fredericton Fish & Game Association will be  registering students for fly tying classes on Sunday, 11 January at 7 pm at the Senior's Center on Johnston Avenue. Courses will be held on the following 10 Sunday evenings. The cost will be $50 (includes $25 FF&G membership). This year we will be offering fly tying classe  gift certificate's.

If you have any questions or wish a gift certificate. please contact Rod Currie at 458-5643

Hint: wait till you talk to a teacher befor buying a fly tying kit. Also we have someone selling supplys at the course each nite with supplys for each  fly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users