#1 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

Noticing that some of the hatch covers and blacker appliances on my kayak are starting to show signs of "sun stress". Anyone with low-grade patio furniture knows about the white chalky film that eventually develops on PVC-based lawnchairs left out in the sun, and I'm starting to get a little bit of the 'grainy' look that is that stuff's predecessor on some surfaces of my kayak. I expect it'll be quite a while before it penetrates enough to become anything more than mildly cosmetic damage like the brittleness that takes those cheapo lawnchairs out after four years or so, but protecting my kayak for those longer days of bright and sunny boat tours might not be a bad idea. 

Doesn anyone know of any practical preservative treatments in, say, spray form? Also, I only see this on the blacker materials but is it ever going to be something to think about for the main body of the kayak itself which appears to be made out of a softer plastic material?

#2 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

According to here, just apply a simple car wax once a year to protect from car and water damage.   I'll probably do it myself come december when I finally stop kayak fishing for the year.

http://www.nimbuskay...m/KayakCare.htm

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#3 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

According to here, just apply a simple car wax once a year to protect from car and water damage.   I'll probably do it myself come december when I finally stop kayak fishing for the year.

http://www.nimbuskay...m/KayakCare.htm

You wouldn't expect wax to protect from car damage, but that is pretty impressive!!! :lol:

Just kidding, couldn't resist. 

Man I want a kayak <_<

#4 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

lol, yeah... need caffeine!

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#5 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

There are some rather excellent stories I've heard of where you'd definitely want to protect your kayak from car damage. In fact, given I put a window out with one once, you probably will want to protect your car from kayak damage as well! :D

#6 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'd be willing to bet that Armour All would protect from UV rays.

#7 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

I'd be willing to bet that Armour All would protect from UV rays.

I would suspect that products like armour all / son of a gun, etc. would simply come off in the water and you would have rainbows where ever your paddle? Not the most environmentally friendly solution perhaps? Sorry, I offer no solutions on this only criticism I guess... haha. 

#8 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

the best solution is a kayak cover. I was going to get into making them a couple years ago but lost access to a heavy duty sewing machine. they would have to be custom made due to the very wide variety of kayak sizes and styles. I may look into this again this winter.

Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#9 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

303 works well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users