11 replies to this topic

#1 wayneh

wayneh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

I fished right off the highway under the bridge before you take the left turn to head towards St George today with my dad, caught 40 smallies 8-15" in length in two hours, what a blast.

#2 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

Can you be specific which bridge is it?

#3 wayneh

wayneh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

https://www.google.c...SFy5Q!2e0?hl=en

#4 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

That is the bridge just before the turnoff at Thomaston Corner. I think it's Rte.3.

#5 wayneh

wayneh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

Correct, water levels were much higher than Google Streetview shows, there was a nice little swirling pool under the bridge. Dropped a worm in and let it float around and caught a fish almost every cast.

#6 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

I fly fished it with a friend a few weeks ago one evening and we were catching some nice bass out of that swirl.

#7 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

It wouldn't hurt to take a few of those bass out of the river. Quite tasty and plentiful. Plus they are a lot of fun in fast water.

#8 wayneh

wayneh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

Not going to lie, my dad and I each bagged a couple 14" inch bass and pan fried them for lunch after we got back home. Breaded and fried in butter, they were delicious!! Bag limit is 0 now so we knew it was the last day to get a meal lol.

I am not a catch and release only fisherman, we've fried meals out of bass, pickerel, brookies, and perch this year..but 90% of our catch is released.

It wouldn't hurt to take a few of those bass out of the river. Quite tasty and plentiful. Plus they are a lot of fun in fast water.

#9 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

I went to this spot after work and fished maybe 30 minutes yesterday had a couple of nibbles but did not catch anything.  Fisherman to blame I think.  I used senkos wacky rigged.

#10 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

I was under the impression that parts of the Mag River are Fly Fish Only, where is the cut off?

#11 wayneh

wayneh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

There is nothing in the rules book about fly fishing only in the Mag river anywhere that I could find. I just brought up the regs book online and did a text search for it and it's not listed anywhere as fly fishing only.

#12 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

There is nothing in the rules book about fly fishing only in the Mag river anywhere that I could find. I just brought up the regs book online and did a text search for it and it's not listed anywhere as fly fishing only.

You're right, I was mistaken. I knew I read something about it, but from the mouth upstream to route 3 bridge, is guide required waters for non-resident anglers. That is what I had read. *doh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users