all kinds of smallies on the Hammond! - Page 2 - Smallmouth Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

all kinds of smallies on the Hammond!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Had a fantastic morning on the hammond. Several bass caught and released!

I told ya!

Thinking about going tonight if you want to come.

#22 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Kudos on releasing those bass and making a statement. Stroover, we can all see what the aim of your post was even though you might think you were being sly. If you were to kill every bass in the river, you wouldn't increase the salmon or trout population. You would just devoid the river of any fish worth catching and an opportunity for anglers to enjoy the only species available to angle after the trout run is over. Might as well conserve bass if no one is doing anything substantial to help salmon and trout in the rivers. Skeeterpro, not everyone at the HRAA wants to kill off all the smallies. The ASF is using Stroover and the HRAA as it's puppet to try and slide increased smallmouth retention into the regulations at the SJRMAC, then build on that and put those regulations into other rivers in the future.  If DFO was going to make a true attempt at replenishing the river's salmon population, sure, remove all the bass from the habitat where young salmon and bass overlap, but otherwise, why ruin one decent fishery that will not make a lick of difference to the salmon population if there are currently no plans to boost salmon populations?  The river can definitely still sustain a strong population of salmon and global warming hasn't had as much effect on the river as some think. Our salmon problem is at-sea mortality and the fact that when we do have good years, there aren't enough salmon left to rebuild the population quickly. Currently, the DFO is not going to be doing much of anything to help the outer Bay of Fundy salmon as they don't have the resources and they are waiting for the outer Bay of Fundy salmon to be listed as endangered under SARA so they will gain more funding. Harper has cut a lot of DFO's funding. That's the facts. 

F.Y.I. Steve, I had nothing to do with that, nor did ASF or HRAA. Nice try, though.

#23 skeeterpro

skeeterpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Locationquispamsis

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

both groups(asf and HRAA)are in fact pushing at the table for killing bass during spawning season and increasing limits to 10 per
day to rid the rivers of smallmouth
the facts are clear - without intervention this would have happened already
we need people to speak up against this plan
really the Hammond river should be shut down to all fishing if salmon are in dangered

#24 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

There is no plan to on our part. Whatever you are refering to is not our doing at all. There is no conspiracy on the part of the HRAA nor ASF to kill off all smb on the Hammond. You can take a deep breath and relaxe. It's all good.

#25 mod

mod

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

there have been posts removed by ME .....enough of the crap folks or threads will be closed

newbrunswickfishing.com Staff

#26 jdlynch21

jdlynch21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

Had a great night on the Hammond last night, hooked into some smallmouth bass and enjoyed fishing some pools for the very first time.  Great province we live in.

#27 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

Were there still an abundance of spawning suckers in the water? Last time I was out there, I'd have to say I saw somewhere close to 50+ large suckers in the pool I was fishing.

#28 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

The suckers are all over the river.

#29 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

Any good spots on the hammond close to the HRAA where one can catch bass this time of year? I've gone twice and usually head towards the second brdige. Not much action due to the low water but looking to give er another try before the season is over.

If f = the optimal number of rods to own
and x = your current number of rods
then f = x + 1

#30 Guest_GCFishguy_*

Guest_GCFishguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

I'd also be interested in some tips on where to go.  I have a week vacation coming up in a few days and this is one of the rivers I'd like to visit.

I don't know the area at all but I'm good with a map/GPS.  Don't need specific spots, but possibly general areas where I could expect to find SMB and be able to park and access the river, and I can go from there.

Thanks in advance, and a PM would be great if you're leery about posting in the open forum...strictly C&R and I fish alone 99% of the time so no worries about be bringing a herd of people to the river with me.  :-)

#31 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Just a reminder that it is fly fishing since July 15th from the train bridge up.

The original 'Fish NB' book had the boundary wrong and many people did not get the 'corrections' insert when they got there license. Also on the government Fish site they did have a corrected PDF up at one point but the version there now has the boundary error again.

#32 NBhunter80

NBhunter80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

I went out on the Hammond for an hour last night and didn't get a single smallmouth. But I did manage to land my biggest brook trout of the year, 15", on a dry fly, so the trip wasn't a total bust :)

#33 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

Very nice!!!

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#34 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

That's great news! I imagine that was way up river for this time of year

#35 NBhunter80

NBhunter80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

It was in one of the main pools actually. I was really surprised to see that beauty hanging out among the smallies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users