all kinds of smallies on the Hammond! - Smallmouth Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

all kinds of smallies on the Hammond!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

All kinds of smallies on the Hammond! I was up by the walking bridge today and lost count of how many I got. Kept one for the BBQ and is grilling as we speak! Lost a HUGE one that got loose when he jumped up about three feet out of the water, gave his head a few shakes, and out came the fly. He had to be at least four pounds! Loads of fun!

#2 jdlynch21

jdlynch21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Stroover - Any tips on where I can fish the Hammond from shore or wading?

#3 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

I don't know the Hammond at all. A few months ago I motored up in the tin yacht but turned back near the train bridge, owing to low water. Awesome river from what I saw! Is it possible to motor upstream beyond the train bridge?

#4 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

@ jdlynch21: Check your pm. If folks on here don't object, I don't mind posting all my smallie honey holes. Please advise, people.

@ Lobsterman: This time of year you won't get very far upriver from the train bridge with a boat. There are many places where you can walk accross the river and barely get your ankles wet.

#5 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

I object.

#6 jdlynch21

jdlynch21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Stroover - Grew up in Miramichi so still learning the lay of the land here in the SJ/KV area.  Much appreciated on the Hammond advice and in turn happy to share info on Miramichi region with you if/when you need it.

#7 MonctonFishernoob

MonctonFishernoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

It sounds like you enjoyed the fishing, if you want to continue to enjoy it i wouldnt post it for everyone to see, without even having to create an account.

#8 MonctonFishernoob

MonctonFishernoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Also, since youre in such a generous mood, you wouldnt mind sharing some of your best trout and salmon fishing holes would you? Im sure everyone on the forum would LOVE to get a nice glimpse of that :D

#9 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hookup on the trout and salmon holes please!

#10 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Heh heh heh! I knew my smallie honeyhole comment would stirr the bass folks pot. :P

#11 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

I'm fish folk. Dunno why anyone would ignore other species.

Also was your first clue that you're posting in the Smallies forum? ;)

#12 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

:D

#13 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

Also, since youre in such a generous mood, you wouldnt mind sharing some of your best trout and salmon fishing holes would you? Im sure everyone on the forum would LOVE to get a nice glimpse of that :D

Sure! Just fish all the old salmon pools. You just have to get past all the smallies, though, but keep trying and you'll get trout. You won't get salmon, though, unfortunately, but that's another story. If you need an old salmon pool map, I can maybe send you one, however you shouldn't need one as many of them still have their little sign hanging above them from days of old.

#14 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

I'm going to need specifics. You mentioned some of the best trout fishing of your life the other night didn't you? Where was that one? :) GPS coords will be required.

#15 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Ok, but if I do, I post all the smallie holes too. Careful what you wish for.

#16 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

I'm just for equality, what can I say. I can't stop someone from making poor choices :).

#17 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

:)

#18 skeeterpro

skeeterpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Locationquispamsis

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

just remember - the Hammond river group wants to kill off all the smallies
make sure you release them all

#19 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Had a fantastic morning on the hammond. Several bass caught and released!

#20 Micropterus

Micropterus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

Kudos on releasing those bass and making a statement. Stroover, we can all see what the aim of your post was even though you might think you were being sly. If you were to kill every bass in the river, you wouldn't increase the salmon or trout population. You would just devoid the river of any fish worth catching and an opportunity for anglers to enjoy the only species available to angle after the trout run is over. Might as well conserve bass if no one is doing anything substantial to help salmon and trout in the rivers. Skeeterpro, not everyone at the HRAA wants to kill off all the smallies. The ASF is using Stroover and the HRAA as it's puppet to try and slide increased smallmouth retention into the regulations at the SJRMAC, then build on that and put those regulations into other rivers in the future.  If DFO was going to make a true attempt at replenishing the river's salmon population, sure, remove all the bass from the habitat where young salmon and bass overlap, but otherwise, why ruin one decent fishery that will not make a lick of difference to the salmon population if there are currently no plans to boost salmon populations?  The river can definitely still sustain a strong population of salmon and global warming hasn't had as much effect on the river as some think. Our salmon problem is at-sea mortality and the fact that when we do have good years, there aren't enough salmon left to rebuild the population quickly. Currently, the DFO is not going to be doing much of anything to help the outer Bay of Fundy salmon as they don't have the resources and they are waiting for the outer Bay of Fundy salmon to be listed as endangered under SARA so they will gain more funding. Harper has cut a lot of DFO's funding. That's the facts. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users