24 replies to this topic

#1 madaboutfishing

madaboutfishing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

I thought it would be neat for everyone to post their best catch of 2010. Doesn't matter what species or where it was caught.

Mine was a smallmouth bass caught by accident while fishing for trout (measured 19").

#2 RichardLyle

RichardLyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

I would post mine, but the picture is to large of a file. It was a perfect morning tho. Standing in the river, fog still laying thick all around us and I hooked into a small salmon. I will never forget this day because, someone brought a dog and it wouldn't leave me alone during the landing of this fish. The owner stood back and done nothing. Needless to say, I landed my fish, but, it broke my rod from the dog getting all tangled up in my line. It was an Orvis rod which surprised the heck out of me. The fish died due to the dog getting all tangled up in the line and getting it all wraped around the parts of the fishes mouth. For me, it was very a unsettling moment considering, I catch and release only, unless I finally break down and catch mother a couple trout for breakfast...
SUBY

#3 madaboutfishing

madaboutfishing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

I would post mine, but the picture is to large of a file. It was a perfect morning tho. Standing in the river, fog still laying thick all around us and I hooked into a small salmon. I will never forget this day because, someone brought a dog and it wouldn't leave me alone during the landing of this fish. The owner stood back and done nothing. Needless to say, I landed my fish, but, it broke my rod from the dog getting all tangled up in my line. It was an Orvis rod which surprised the heck out of me. The fish died due to the dog getting all tangled up in the line and getting it all wraped around the parts of the fishes mouth. For me, it was very a unsettling moment considering, I catch and release only, unless I finally break down and catch mother a couple trout for breakfast...

I also catch and release almost exclusively as well. Unless I get a smallmouth, those go into the bushes for the scavengers.

And that story is the reason I leave the dog home when fishing.

#4 RichardLyle

RichardLyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

Even the second time I went to this pool, me and my buddy were sitting on the bank enjoying the view, and I heard a woof, and I said, "Oh NO" So, we put our rods in behind us in the bushes and that dog still managed to get tangled up in my rod. I just tied on a new leader which just cost me ten bucks and the owner just looked at me. The dog is older now, so, next time, it will be something getting a quick kick in the arse. The owner is responsible for his dog and it should be left home on public waters.

I can resize my own pictures. I'm waiting for an awEsome catch before I post. Small salmon are really nothing to brag about unless it is the first one you've ever caught...
SUBY

#5 fish4life

fish4life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Locationsalisbury nb

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

the best catch I had was last year May 1 to be exact Dad and I went fishing in Bathurst and I cought the biggest Salmon in my life 30", the action was so good we were catching them all day I know it was only Black Salmon, but dad and I have never fished this place before and we hade a blast great memories

#6 Dragon

Dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

My best day was during the second week of May and I was fishing a little olive size 16 callibaetis nymph. There were some fellows from the Miramichi (this was on PEI) fishing there and never caught one while I must have hooked and released 30-40 rainbows, brookies, and sea run trout (all sizes from 10 inches all the way up to 20 inches). They asked me my secret and I showed them right away and when I asked to see what they were using it was a size 10 green machine. When trout fishing I usually nymph and try to match the hatch as best I can. Look under logs, rocks, and always keep an eye out for shucks and flying insects. They are good indicators as to whats happening. If you are real serious get a stomach pump and some small glass jars and pump the 15 inchers you catch and you will know what they are after.

Best of luck everyone and tight lines.

#7 WannabeWaterman

WannabeWaterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

This was my first saltwater fish. Wasn't the biggest or my favourite of the day, but it's the fish that launched a new addiction!

Posted Image

#8 Dragon

Dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

Nice fish.

#9 madaboutfishing

madaboutfishing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

Nice fish.

Agreed, is that a striped bass?

#10 WannabeWaterman

WannabeWaterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Thx fellas. It's a redfish (aka red drum), from saltwater marshes on the gulf coast of Louisiana.

#11 madaboutfishing

madaboutfishing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

Thx fellas. It's a redfish (aka red drum), from saltwater marshes on the gulf coast of Louisiana.

Nice! I'm assuming it was an epic battle?

#12 WannabeWaterman

WannabeWaterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

Nice! I'm assuming it was an epic battle?

After chasing trout on 3wt & 5wt rods almost exclusively for the past couple years, let's just say I didn't really know whether to s**t or go blind: cracked the knuckles on the reel handle, burnt my finger tips on the line, and the whole time wondering how well I tie knots & thinking "so this is what my backing looks like!!"

It was a great trip. Reds are like bulls, no jumps or anything. Like a fullback getting the ball in football: shoulder down & go.

The two things I learned on the trip: I need to practice my casting (3wts & 5wts aren't the same thing) and always, always, always listen to your guide. He knows stuff. Like when he said "change your fly, put on that Kung-Fu Krab" resulting in seeing my backing again from a nice red on my first cast with that fly on!

#13 Linesider

Linesider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

After chasing trout on 3wt & 5wt rods almost exclusively for the past couple years, let's just say I didn't really know whether to s**t or go blind: cracked the knuckles on the reel handle, burnt my finger tips on the line, and the whole time wondering how well I tie knots & thinking "so this is what my backing looks like!!"

It was a great trip. Reds are like bulls, no jumps or anything. Like a fullback getting the ball in football: shoulder down & go.

The two things I learned on the trip: I need to practice my casting (3wts & 5wts aren't the same thing) and always, always, always listen to your guide. He knows stuff. Like when he said "change your fly, put on that Kung-Fu Krab" resulting in seeing my backing again from a nice red on my first cast with that fly on!

I hear ya! Southern saltees seem to just be strong as s#%t! I went to Mexico last week and brought with me a small collapsable rod and spinning reel and some very basic gear consisting of small hooks, and some sinkers. I made a 2' leader and threw some split shots on just above the swivel. That's all it took to have a great experience. There were some nice flats right ON the actual resort property to the edge of the beach area. I first found some snails for bait which allowed me to catch my bait fish. They were approx 3" - 5" long purple and yellow with big sharp lower teeth. With the smallest bait on a slightly larger hook / leader setup, I took my first cast into a darker area of sandy coral paradise, and immediately hooked up. My drag began to peel for about a 5-8 second solid run. I just hung on tigh and thought for sure I must have a monster. This fish would not give up, and gave me one of the best fights ever. Once I got this fish closer to me, I was amazed at it's relatively small size...considering...I was able to successfully land an approx 20 - 22" bonefish. It's unreal the power and endurance these fish have. I can only imagine how fun these would be on a fly setup. I was able to catch 3 bonefish in 5 casts with that small bait. Then another hour with nada on my larger baits. I didn't bother moving around much, as I could see fish everywhere in the crysal clear water, but I guess they were either not fooled anymore, or wanted a smaller meal.
I was able to safely release all of my bonefish, and cannot wait to try my luck at them again!

#14 WannabeWaterman

WannabeWaterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

I hear ya! Southern saltees seem to just be strong as s#%t! I went to Mexico last week and brought with me a small collapsable rod and spinning reel and some very basic gear consisting of small hooks, and some sinkers. I made a 2' leader and threw some split shots on just above the swivel. That's all it took to have a great experience. There were some nice flats right ON the actual resort property to the edge of the beach area. I first found some snails for bait which allowed me to catch my bait fish. They were approx 3" - 5" long purple and yellow with big sharp lower teeth. With the smallest bait on a slightly larger hook / leader setup, I took my first cast into a darker area of sandy coral paradise, and immediately hooked up. My drag began to peel for about a 5-8 second solid run. I just hung on tigh and thought for sure I must have a monster. This fish would not give up, and gave me one of the best fights ever. Once I got this fish closer to me, I was amazed at it's relatively small size...considering...I was able to successfully land an approx 20 - 22" bonefish. It's unreal the power and endurance these fish have. I can only imagine how fun these would be on a fly setup. I was able to catch 3 bonefish in 5 casts with that small bait. Then another hour with nada on my larger baits. I didn't bother moving around much, as I could see fish everywhere in the crysal clear water, but I guess they were either not fooled anymore, or wanted a smaller meal.
I was able to safely release all of my bonefish, and cannot wait to try my luck at them again!

That's awesome!! Bonefish are definitely on my list to try out; I'm in Mexico for a wedding (not mine :P ) in November & am definitely bringing gear with me now!

#15 reelingitupfishing

reelingitupfishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

I also catch and release almost exclusively as well. Unless I get a smallmouth, those go into the bushes for the scavengers.

And that story is the reason I leave the dog home when fishing.

Smallmouth are not at the best populations in Nb and should not be treated in such a way. They are a sport fish and are not able to be found everywhere therfore should be relseased back in to the water. Unless stated By the DNR as a problem in a specific body of water, doing this is not right and should be stopped immedatly. I hope you stopped doing this or someone makes you stop, because the last thing we want is the populations dropping even more because someone thinks its smart to throw such a nice sport fish into the bushes.

#16 madaboutfishing

madaboutfishing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

Smallmouth are not at the best populations in Nb and should not be treated in such a way. They are a sport fish and are not able to be found everywhere therfore should be relseased back in to the water. Unless stated By the DNR as a problem in a specific body of water, doing this is not right and should be stopped immedatly. I hope you stopped doing this or someone makes you stop, because the last thing we want is the populations dropping even more because someone thinks its smart to throw such a nice sport fish into the bushes.

I appreciate your enthusiasm to preserve fish stocks, however I should have clarified by saying if I catch a smallmouth bass where it is NON-NATIVE and or illegally introduced it will be tossed to the buzzards.

As well Smallmouth bass are thriving and in no danger unfortunately. They will probably be one of the only fish left after they destroy our brook trout and salmon fisheries. Please read your fishing guide and follow the law, however I will do my part to eradicate these intruders that are illegally stocked (some were stocked legally in certain areas).

#17 Nick fenn

Nick fenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationRothesay NB

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

I appreciate your enthusiasm to preserve fish stocks, however I should have clarified by saying if I catch a smallmouth bass where it is NON-NATIVE and or illegally introduced it will be tossed to the buzzards.

As well Smallmouth bass are thriving and in no danger unfortunately. They will probably be one of the only fish left after they destroy our brook trout and salmon fisheries. Please read your fishing guide and follow the law, however I will do my part to eradicate these intruders that are illegally stocked (some were stocked legally in certain areas).

I Bilieve if you kill it you eat it...also i find that Smallmouth bass are verry good eating. :)

#18 madaboutfishing

madaboutfishing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

I Bilieve if you kill it you eat it...also i find that Smallmouth bass are verry good eating. :)

You're missing the point kid but that is still a good attitude to have.

#19 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

My best catch was a 32 in black salmon but since i was by myslef, which i often am, i got no pic...but il but up the pic of one of the few bass that i have a picture of, not a monster but it was my first bass of the year and it was fun to catch, saw him chasing baitfish in about 2 feet of water while fishing brookies on the naashwalk...dug through my box and found a popper which he nailed...what a fight on a littel 5 foot ultralight...here it is Posted Image

#20 Dragon

Dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:17 AM

Having posts edited is not cool. At least have something saying a topic or post was edited would be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users