18 replies to this topic

#1 NB Angler

NB Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

Does anyone known where I could get some bass and pickerel flies?

Thanks!

#2 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

If you're near Moncton, I got some from Bryant at Eskape Anglers in Riverview, but that was a long time ago. Call first. If he has none, I bet he'd tie you up some in a jiffy.

I heard you can get them at Better Buy in Moncton but I don't know that for a fact, just heard someone say they had some.

Get the mice! They work awesome and are loads of fun watching the fish attack on top of the water.

#3 NB Angler

NB Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thanks lobsterman!

I already planed on going there to get some salmon flies, so I will take a look when I go.

Tight lines!

#4 NB Angler

NB Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

I also forgot to ask if you have a rough idea on the price of the flies.

Thanks!

#5 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

It's been a long time since I bought any, but I think I paid $7 each. 

They were worth it. If my memory is accurate, they are no doubt more expensive than that now but man they are fun, especially on calm water.

#6 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

You can do pretty well with a handful of trout flies in the larger sizes.  Things like large muddlers, buck bugs and wooly buggers.  I recall buying some reasonably tied mice at either walmart or Canadian Tire. Large bright streamers will work, too, such as those used for spring landlocked fishing.

I'm not sure if anyone local sells them, but Sneaky Pete poppers in chartreuse have always been a bass killer for me.  BOught them from Eddie's Fly Tackle in Veazy Maine, but I think he's closed now.  LL Bean definitely sells them

If you DO get Bryant to tie you up some flies, ask for a couple muddlers on size 4 or 6 hooks, tied with yellow deer hair instead of natural.  They're killers.  And that deer bodied fly with the palmered hackle he ties (can't remember the name; looks like a bomber on a bad hair day :lol:) works really well, too.

Brent

#7 NB Angler

NB Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Thanks lobster man! I will look into that and give him a call.

Thank Brent!

I already have some muddler minnows and buckbugs. I was also wondering if spring salmon streamers worked and I thought they would. I have some of them in my tackle box and I will give them a try. im also going to take a look at ll bean.

Thanks again!!

#8 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

You can do pretty well with a handful of trout flies in the larger sizes.  Things like large muddlers, buck bugs and wooly buggers.  I recall buying some reasonably tied mice at either walmart or Canadian Tire. Large bright streamers will work, too, such as those used for spring landlocked fishing.

I'm not sure if anyone local sells them, but Sneaky Pete poppers in chartreuse have always been a bass killer for me.

Brent

I have tried these suggestions by Brent in the past and they are absolutely good ideas for Bass and Pickerel on the fly. I prefer floating flies like mice and poppers, especially on calm days, but the above are all excellent ideas. Bryant tied me up some poppers - who knew you can fly-tie poppers/ - and they were awesome.

#9 Habs33

Habs33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationRiverview

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I have bought some from this site.  They are nice flies at good prices.

http://www.anglersdr...et/default.aspx

Follow my new blog at: http://fishingfuninnewbrunswick.com/

#10 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

NB Angler, if you want to tie your own, look up Cheech's Low Fat Minnow on youtube. I just recently started tying (and fly fishing for that matter) and these were a really simple tie to do. I used one for the first time 2 weeks ago and they worked really well for me. Though, locally, I was not able to find the eyes used in the video, but substituted some jewelry making plastic gems from Michaels (I got on sale, have a few hundred of them still) and they work spectacularly. 

Here is a link to the video

#11 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

I dont know anout pickerel flies, but I catch tons of bass on brown buck bugs, size 6-8

#12 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

Theres a streamer a buddy of mine lent me that landed him an impressive amount of healthy adult bass one night on the Canaan. I'll try to remember to snap a picture of it.  He was landing fish out of holes that I already ran multiple types of lures through.

#13 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

This may be a little bit of an aside... but a well presented Leadwing Coachman seems to work as well...

gallery_2175_105_1333542.jpg

#14 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Noodles:

I don't doubt it a bit!  It is my observation that bass in moving water (esp with riffles and pools) behave (and feed) a lot like trout. They take up many of the same feeding positions.   They'll sip a tiny dry fly, hit a dead-drifted nymph, chase a wooly bugger, and smash a stripped muddler.  I've seen them reject a dry fly with drag, only to hit it on the following drag-free drift.

Brent

#15 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Too true. I had another one on just a few days after that one, but it was one minnow tied in perch colours. Didn't hit it on the strip at all, it actually struck while the minnow was dead drifting as I was distracted helping a kid get a hook from a perch. :lol: Sometimes I think that they will just take anything if they are in the mood.

#16 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

I found a guy on eBay who sells out of Montreal. His flies are good quality and the price is right. Buy a couple and it offsets the already cheap shipping price of $3.

He sells bass bugs for $2.something - very cheap!

http://www.ebay.ca/u...984.m1423.l2754

If f = the optimal number of rods to own
and x = your current number of rods
then f = x + 1

#17 reel 1

reel 1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Locationmoncton

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

he has a good selection @ what seems to be good prices

#18 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Those ARE good prices!  Nice looking flies, too.

#19 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Dayumn!!! I will definitely be placing some orders with this guy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users