9 replies to this topic

#1 hammondriver

hammondriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

-Would like to Know tonight or early morning please and thx :)
1.TRUE OR FALSE You can fish tidal waters all year
2.TRUE OR FALSE From CN train bridge down are tidal Waters

Thank you, HaMmOnD RiVeR

#2 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

-Would like to Know tonight or early morning please and thx :)
1.TRUE OR FALSE You can fish tidal waters all year
2.TRUE OR FALSE From CN train bridge down are tidal Waters

Thank you, HaMmOnD RiVeR

1. Yes
2. Yes, the train bridge just below the McKay Highway. (it is the one in the background of my avatar, that was taken April 14)

Jim VE9WH

#3 hammondriver

hammondriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

1. Yes
2. Yes, the train bridge just below the McKay Highway. (it is the one in the background of my avatar, that was taken April 14)

Thanks you :)

#4 scottmd

scottmd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

You probably know this , but I have run across other people who did not. You can fish but cannot retain, or target sports fish(not sure how you stop a particular type of fish from biting...). Figured I would rather repeat it than have someone lose their truck , boat etc. and get fined.

#5 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

You probably know this , but I have run across other people who did not. You can fish but cannot retain, or target sports fish(not sure how you stop a particular type of fish from biting...). Figured I would rather repeat it than have someone lose their truck , boat etc. and get fined.

Execellent Point, I usually don't keep anything so never thought about it.

Jim VE9WH

#6 hammondriver

hammondriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Yeah ,thanks it never hurts to repeat the law

#7 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

Yeah ,thanks it never hurts to repeat the law

So in other words, don't be fishing with anything that looks like a salmon fly. And better yet, go barbless with everything, especially this time of year.

#8 delete

delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

So in other words, don't be fishing with anything that looks like a salmon fly. And better yet, go barbless with everything, especially this time of year.

The only way they can get you is if you can easily identify the fish in the water before even catching any. (i.e. casting over salmon laying in a pool and running your fly/lure by their snouts repeatedly) or fishing with bait for sturgeon in the usual area during the closed time and repeatedly catching sturgeon. It could be hard to fight with the unintended catch story. I fished stripers catch and release for years before the season started. I never used bait then and always used heavy enough gear to bring
them in quickly.

The Eastern Sportfish Association defines this as "Dirty Fishing" and are trying to get the DFO to stop any sort of pre salmon season angling in waters that contain salmon due to the accidental or intentional catch of black salmon. I doubt it will ever happen, but who knows. There was talk a couple years ago of starting Hammond River on May1 or May 15 due to the high amount of black salmon being caught. I, myself caught 7 salmon and 1 grilse out of one pool in less than 1hr, not to mention some nice trout. The same salmon were still in that pool for the rest of the week and I stopped fishing there altogether, even though I was missing out on some nice trout that were in there. The rules should change to no bait and no more than one barbless single or treble hook until may 15. There are rarely salmon in the river this late unless the river thawed late. Hell, the fresh runs start showing up the first of July.

Off topic, but not... NO ONE SHOULD KEEP ANY STRIPED BASS BEFORE JULY 1. Don't listen to anyone that says these are all NS or USA fish as many if not all in the spring are local. They do spawn here and just because there is no scientific proof as of late, that doesn't mean jack. Explain to me how these fish over winter, head back to the Hudson or Delaware and then jet back to feed in the Hammond? If so, they forget to spawn, because they are still full of spawn. Also, how come at the same time every year they gather in the same area in the evening and swim around on the surface all night and they are so close to the boat you could hit them with a paddle. Only late summer or fall fish could be non native striped bass on their fall feeding migration that runs up the N.A. coast and then back to their off shore and river wintering locations.

#9 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

I, myself caught 7 salmon and 1 grilse out of one pool in less than 1hr, not to mention some nice trout. The same salmon were still in that pool for the rest of the week and I stopped fishing there altogether, even though I was missing out on some nice trout that were in there.

You really should've stopped fishing that pool after the first one. =-\

And yes, we are still lobbying the provincial government to not open the Hammond River until May 1st, to give the salmon a chance to get out of there safely. We'd even like to see the river fly fishing only from the train bridge up.

#10 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

You really should've stopped fishing that pool after the first one. =-\

And yes, we are still lobbying the provincial government to not open the Hammond River until May 1st, to give the salmon a chance to get out of there safely. We'd even like to see the river fly fishing only from the train bridge up.

Interesting. There sure are lots of rules open for interpretation. I like to fish tidal pools in creeks near my home (after trout season) I do this out of curiosity. I have hooked (barblessly) IBFSalmon by "mistake" at Black River, Emmerson and Gardner creeks. It looks to me like these Bay of Fundy fish are making a return. Although there some debate, I understand, about their genetics. I have watched them spawning in October. I'm wondering if DFO has any information about the Salmon populations in these creeks. It would be nice to see hook and release seasons on the Black River, Mispec river, and the Salmon rivers. Of course nobody wants to keep these endangered fish we would just like to enjoy angling a little later into the fall. PS there are salmon in mispec river. DFO should make it fly-fishing only, they don't stand a chance with unscrupulous people with spin rods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users