Smallmouth-kennebecasis-Washadamoak-Belleislebay- Activity - Smallmouth Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Smallmouth-kennebecasis-Washadamoak-Belleislebay- Activity

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fdfreeze

fdfreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelleislebay

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

If you had to chose which would you choose as the most active for shore fishing. I've fished the belleislebay at the dyke in Hatfield point and big cove on the Washadamoak for quite a few years and have never caught a smallmouth at either or seen anyone catch one. Tons of pickeral and perch and catfish though.

Thanks
Donnie

#2 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

The tidal portions of the Kennebecasis down to just below the mouth of the Hammond river have smallmouth although I cannot help you with shore fishing spots there (well, Hampton floating dock). I believe there are places at the tidal boundary & below in Bloomfield where you can shore fish but above the Bloomfield Station Road bridge becomes fly fishing only July 1st. Further down the Kennebecasis a few kms below the Hammond river I don't think there will be much if many SMB as it gets too saline. I've fished Meenan's Cove lots and never caught a smallmouth, mostly just yellow perch and a scattered pickerel. The upper Norton Shore road area you can catch smallmouth but the road is rough (I won't take a car there again) and locals have been proping up Private property signs even where it is just the road falling off into the river.

The tidal portions of the Hammond and Darlings Lake as well can produce smallmouth. I've caught lots in the Hammond River Park area although mostly sub 12 inch. Around the train bridge & downstream I've had some luck but spoty. As well Darlings Island Covered Bridge area has been good for many. In the Hammond I've had more luck with larger smallmouth in non-tidal areas (above train bridge) mostly above the HRAA lodge but please be aware that this area becomes fly fishing only July 15th (also a later season opening May 1st).

#3 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Also down on the Kingston peninsula at Kingston creek it appears people are catching more smallmouth each year but chain pickerel are the predominant predator fish there.

#4 fdfreeze

fdfreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelleislebay

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the info.

#5 fdfreeze

fdfreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelleislebay

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

My son and I tried the floating dock this morning from about 6:50 till 8 or so. Some big fish jumping but we never had anything follow any cranks or spinners.
After that we headed to the darlings island covered bridge we stayed there till around 10 am never had a nibble but we saw a perch swim by. After that we went to norton shore road I had a sunfish hit a fake leech but never bit it. A freakish spotted bullead swam by too. I also had 2 fish follow in m6 "boo yah real craw spinner" from dicks. They kept hitting the spinner portion not the hook portion. Not sure of they were perch or smb they were no bigger than 10 inches either way. I might have to look into so different lures.

My son had fun any way he kept asking me how someone got lure caught in the power lines by the darlings bridge.

#6 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

You can fish a lot of shoreline below the train bridge on the Hammond. If you look at my icon to the left, that is the train bridge behind me and a 20" smallmouth in my hand.

Jim VE9WH

#7 fdfreeze

fdfreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelleislebay

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

Went swimming this afternoon a friends cottage. After swimming for a couple of hour's my oldest boy and I decided we would fish at the beach for a few minutes after my 6th cast i caught my first smb once my son saw it jumping out of the water he was hooked. I guess the "boo yah real craw spinner" from dicks does work. So their is smb in the belleisle bay after all I was starting to doubt it lol. http://newbrunswickf...0140630-201413/

#8 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

WTG. You're one up on me with a spinnerbait. I have yet to catch anything on a spinnerbait. Catch most of mine on senkos followed by crankbaits, flukes, and nightcrawlers on jigheads. I saw a handful to bass taking bugs at surface on the weekend so it maybe time to start poppers again.

#9 fdfreeze

fdfreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelleislebay

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

I've tried poppers but the pickeral seem to like them a lot. What was working at darlings I tried spoons cranks and a few spinners. I've never fished with senkos any recommendations?

#10 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

I got 5 last night at Darlings Island covered bridge 10, 8, 19.75, 8, 17.5 all on a Bluefox Flash spinner (rainbow trout pattern). 1st time I've caught anything on that however but was effective in the flooded brown water. Just casted downstream along the outside of the flooded bank and retrieved back.

For senkos you can get a variety at Doiron's in SJ for 69 cents each.

#11 Jeff Dugas

Jeff Dugas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationCambridge-Narrows

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Kennebecasis River I find has the most activity of Smallmouth(by far) from shore. Both the Belliesle Bay and the Washademoak Lake are good for Pickerel from shore, but I found that if you want the Smallmouths you gotta go out a ways.... Try fishing off the dock beside the green bridge in Hampton, I've caught and have seen many Smallmouth caught there. Good luck my friend!

Jeff

Cheers,

Jeff

Be sure to check out my blog NB Fishing . 

#12 Philly8ball

Philly8ball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

There are small mouth in Washadamoak Lake, caught one there last year on a gold hard bodied lure.

#13 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Update/Correction re Kennebecasis - Meenan's Cove

I have now caught a number of smaller SMB on either inline spinners or crankbaits - 6.5, 11.5, 9, 11, & 10 - and lost a few more smaller ones on jumps. Saw another which I think was a smallmouth in the 16-20" but it looked wider (side to side) that others I have caught in that range so may have been something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users