Kayak Group Outing - May 17th long weekend - Canoes/Kayaks - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Kayak Group Outing - May 17th long weekend

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

Hey guys,

I'm out of town this weekend, but wish I could be here at the fishing on the Hammond is really picking up now with trout, smb and perch all being caught.

I'll have to leave it to IPop/Retroboy or someone else to specify where/when people should meet, but once I'm told what the plans are, I'll e-mail them out to the kayaking group.   In the meantime, anyone interested in joining a group outing can use this thread to chat about it, or the Facebook site as well.

There is a signup sheet on the kayak group website where you can view the previous responses to see who's interested.   (Ignore the date in the link title, we postponed last weekend's meet to this weekend due to weather).

https://sites.google...ay-10th-weekend

I'd suggest meeting at the HRAA, or the launch site next to it Saturday morning and fish up and down the river from there.    I may be back home at a decent hour on Monday and if so I'll be itching to take the new Old Town Predator out for it's maiden voyage that afternoon/evening.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#2 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Just finalized my schedule for the weekend's road trip.  I'll be back home Sunday night and thus ready to hit the water sometime on Monday in the new Kayak!   Will see what others decide they want to do Sat/Sun and then throw something out there for Monday for anyone interested later in the week.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#3 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Hey Guys, I'm interested in getting out Sat and/or Sunday weather depending. I've opted to work on Monday.

I had great fun fishing the hammond last sunday and will likely ttry that again. Would also like to try first lake for landlocks.

If f = the optimal number of rods to own
and x = your current number of rods
then f = x + 1

#4 scottmd

scottmd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

I live very close to first lake, so I would love to hit it with people familiar with it. I would also pop over to Hammond if it works out for me, but am trying to get as much work done on my house as possible whenever I get a chance, so I haven't been out much at all yet this season. I will watch this thread to see how things seem to be shaping up, and hopefully get out at least once this weekend to meet some of you. If anyone has any fly recommendations let me know as I just received my new vice and will spin some up before I head out.

#5 peter

peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Locationtitusville

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Im good Saturday and good to go almost anywhere i got nice sturgeon today so got me in mood for fishing

#6 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hammond was good last weekend, should be even better this weekend. I haven't seen weather yet for this weekend, wind would be tougher on 1st than the Hammond, wetter too. I plan to fish both places this weekend, just have not decided which on what day yet. so far it looks like the only vote is for Sat.  but we should see if there are any others interested yet. i'll check the response's on the board.

Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#7 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

all but 1 so far for Sat. some for both days, a couple for Monday. so far browns/land lochs are ahead, but just by 1

Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#8 peter

peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Locationtitusville

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

I have an extra seat in my canoe if anyone is interested

#9 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:25 AM

I'm going to try and make it this Sat but best not rely on me for organizing, HB. Got another big annual event (non-fishing, *gasp*!) that's coming up and athat's where my attention will be so fishing time might be short depending on other commitments. 

But I can' t believe you're actually going to take your kayak out the first day you get it. I'd have expected you'd be loading it down for at least a month with all the fishing gadgets, doodads and paraphernalia that are presently available in the universe. :-D

#10 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

scottmd's comment has me wondering about trying the fly rod out on the kayak

I don't think I have it rigged quite right though...float line...the trout were not feeding on the surface last weekend...so I'm guessing the proper setup would be a sinking line with wet flies?? 

If anyone can recommend the proper setup and some good flies to try that would be awesome

I'm available to go sat and sun. Went out with joe last night and he got a nice 11.5" trout and a bunch of perch. I caught a 9" but didn't keep it.

then f = x + 1

#11 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Just chatted to IPop (e-mail to the group to follow shortly).   He is planning to launch from the dirt road next to the bridge & HRAA lodge there on Saturday morning around 9 AM.   This would be a good time and place for anyone in the kayak group to meet to get out to fish together.

Expect to catch lots of perch and if your lucky some trout and smallmouth bass.    Most everything there so far that I have heard of is taking spinner/worm, though it doesn't hurt to try other flies and lures as well.

IPop is hoping to hit First Lake out by the airport on Sunday, though that is probably weather dependant and the weather looks a lot better for Saturday than Sunday.   

I'll be back and anxious to go for a fish on Monday and will let the group know where probably on Sunday night.    Possibly the lower Hammond / Sturgeon Alley, possibly First Lake, possibly something altogether different like Kingston Creek or something.

Good luck to anyone heading out Saturday!

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#12 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

I'll be there Sat morning at 9. Weather looks like it should be pretty good for sat, high of 18, chance of showers in the morning and sunny in the afternoon

then f = x + 1

#13 Twinfan

Twinfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSussex, NB

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Any objections to a canoe showing up? :) I often use a kayak paddle if that helps with social acceptance!
Experience is the toughest school. The test always precedes the lesson.

#14 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

Canoes are welcome.  I take mine when i have the boys.   Trolling motors are cause for mocking though!  :-)

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#15 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hey guys I am backing out of todays meet, no energy and the weather isnt the greatest. John and I spent close to 13 hours on the water yesterday. Kf anyone see this before heading out please let him know.
then f = x + 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users