• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 jeffpro123

jeffpro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

rick, good to hear most of what you said. the problem is, you are one of the very very very few tournemt bass anglers who are responsible and understand the realities. i have however talked to way too many with the attitude i ranted about abouv. the the use of a live well is only allowed during an official bass tourney, their use at any other time is illegal. and yes, they could stock other ways, but they are lazy enough not to drive an extra half hour to a propper bass lake, so coolers may be to much like work for them. and easier to get caught. i'm glad this was brought up at the nbsfa seminars, because this is your problem - the salmon and trout fishermen sure aren't doing this. this isn't personal Rick.

as memntioned, i like to fish smallies, so i'm not againts the fish per say, just their illegal distribution and the permenant damage it's causing.
do you remember when they first allowed you to use a live well and to cull bass here? it's not as long ago as you think! the tourneys were illegaly culling and using live wells untill some body noticed and told dnr...who then made the brilliant move of making it legal. this was only a few years ago.
i realy don't care about culling for a bass tourney, or any properly run tourney, but do the officials check to make sure the well is empty after weigh in? they should be! this is why the bass tourneys DO have something to do with introducing illegal fish. additionally the idiots that stock lakes just so they can practice closer to home would have no reason to do this if there wasn't a tourney to practice for.

as individuals simpley acting responsibly is fine. as a group you need to show this can be done safely and without harm. lately the bass groups are not coming across as responsible and i can no longer support them or agree that they should be allowed - the enviroment has to come first.

IPOP, Rick is right the bass tournments that exist in NB are not to blame for this problem. The NBSFA and NB Pro Bass Tour preach conservation and sportsmanship. You make assumptions that a "bass fisherman" introduced these fish because a trout or salmon angler would not do this. anglers cannot be classified like this, I am a member of the NBSFA and NB Pro Bass Tour and i fish many tournments in the run of a year, I am also an avid trout, salmon, pickeral and striper angler. I think it would be safe to say that there is a small number of people in the fishing community that are to blame for this problem. Blaming it on the tour guys is not a fair accusation.
I would blame this on the redneck angler (that i could call a trout fisherman) that fishes the same streams as me but kills evreything he catches. I have seen it many times, a man leaving the brook with up to 30 or 40 trout in his bag. But i am not going to say that evrey trout fisherman kills evreything he catches because i know that it is only a few that do this.
Smallmouth bass is my favourite species to fish and i would never itroduce one into a body of water. I consider myself a conservationist and i try to do my part for the invironment. If you saw me and some of my "BASS FISHERMEN" friends cleaning up bags of garbage from the hammond river, as i often do, trying to help the salmon have a clean place to spawn would you still curse all of us? I also only harvest one or two fish a year while releasing hundreds, and many of these "BASS FISHERMAN" do the same.
Just thought i would say my piece
JEFF

#22 Sac

Sac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

Rick, You have hit the nail on the head. As Bass Tournament Anglers, we stress conservation to our fellow anglers (practice and preach). Jeffpro123 and I fish together very frequently, so I'll most certainly testify to his integrity and honesty. I'm also a tournament angler, I was fortunate enough to be introduced to the fun of bass fishing around 10 years ago... I had all but given up on fishing, I was so discouraged by heading to fishing hole after fishing hole, seeing "sportanglers", if I can call them that, kill 30+ trout, salmon par, perch, sunfish etc. whatever they got their hook set into, all the while leaving a mountain of Tim Horton cups, beer cans, zip lock bags etc behind in their travels... What fun is it going for a day of fishing when you come home with 1 or 2 small trout that were badly hurt from hook set and a bag full of garbage left behind by the folks that are likely doing most of the gumflapping, hd this discussion way to many times now, I've had enough of it. If you folks actually took the time to understand what we actually do in tournament, the extremes we go to to ensure live release of ANY species we set our hook into, your tune may change a bit hopefully.
Last fall at our championship tournament, the evening before day 1 launch, all of our teams had a meeting with DNR to ask questions regarding furthering our conservation efforts, what we can do better etc. How many of you have taken this form of incentive? I digress from stating which tour I run, that is un-needed, I know from expperience that both tours are run with the greatest of professionalism with sportsmanship and conservation in mind.
As to the comment made regarding our "Practicing" and the moving Smallies into local water systems. If you had any knowledge regarding what we as tourney anglers do, we call it "prefishing". Hence, why would I soend my hand earned money fishing a little body of water that will never support a tournament due to size , but would gladly support the life cycle of a bass. Our time will be spent preparing ourselves on tournament bodies "fnding the fish". The "angler" that fishes and kills everything under the sun is your culprit. They're the idiots doing the damage of species introductions into other water systems.
Until the day comes when a trout/salmon fisherperson actually takes the time to understand what we as tournament anglers are all about, this argument will continue on. We as bass anglers fully understand your game and respect it. For those out there that are actually doing thier part in the conservation and protection effort of all species, my hats off to you. Until everyone has taken a long look in the mirror and ask "am I doing my part?" stop pointing fingers at one another.
I'll leave with two final questions to ask yourself in the mirror.... 1 have I left trash behind after a day of fishing? and here's the toughy 2. Have I made sure my boat, boots etc. are washed and sanitized before i take them from one water system to the other which is a leading cause of Algae blooms and chokes out salmon, trout and bass? if not, you are a contibutor just as quick as anyone else you are attempting to point a finger at
Sac

#23 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

Rick, You have hit the nail on the head. As Bass Tournament Anglers, we stress conservation to our fellow anglers (practice and preach). Jeffpro123 and I fish together very frequently, so I'll most certainly testify to his integrity and honesty. I'm also a tournament angler, I was fortunate enough to be introduced to the fun of bass fishing around 10 years ago... I had all but given up on fishing, I was so discouraged by heading to fishing hole after fishing hole, seeing "sportanglers", if I can call them that, kill 30+ trout, salmon par, perch, sunfish etc. whatever they got their hook set into, all the while leaving a mountain of Tim Horton cups, beer cans, zip lock bags etc behind in their travels... What fun is it going for a day of fishing when you come home with 1 or 2 small trout that were badly hurt from hook set and a bag full of garbage left behind by the folks that are likely doing most of the gumflapping, hd this discussion way to many times now, I've had enough of it. If you folks actually took the time to understand what we actually do in tournament, the extremes we go to to ensure live release of ANY species we set our hook into, your tune may change a bit hopefully.
Last fall at our championship tournament, the evening before day 1 launch, all of our teams had a meeting with DNR to ask questions regarding furthering our conservation efforts, what we can do better etc. How many of you have taken this form of incentive? I digress from stating which tour I run, that is un-needed, I know from expperience that both tours are run with the greatest of professionalism with sportsmanship and conservation in mind.
As to the comment made regarding our "Practicing" and the moving Smallies into local water systems. If you had any knowledge regarding what we as tourney anglers do, we call it "prefishing". Hence, why would I soend my hand earned money fishing a little body of water that will never support a tournament due to size , but would gladly support the life cycle of a bass. Our time will be spent preparing ourselves on tournament bodies "fnding the fish". The "angler" that fishes and kills everything under the sun is your culprit. They're the idiots doing the damage of species introductions into other water systems.
Until the day comes when a trout/salmon fisherperson actually takes the time to understand what we as tournament anglers are all about, this argument will continue on. We as bass anglers fully understand your game and respect it. For those out there that are actually doing thier part in the conservation and protection effort of all species, my hats off to you. Until everyone has taken a long look in the mirror and ask "am I doing my part?" stop pointing fingers at one another.
I'll leave with two final questions to ask yourself in the mirror.... 1 have I left trash behind after a day of fishing? and here's the toughy 2. Have I made sure my boat, boots etc. are washed and sanitized before i take them from one water system to the other which is a leading cause of Algae blooms and chokes out salmon, trout and bass? if not, you are a contibutor just as quick as anyone else you are attempting to point a finger at
Sac

SAC
Very well said, I know from experience how Jeff fishes and the other tournament fishers. Conservation is priority 1

Question #1 No I have not (I take out more than I take in usually)
Question #2 Not 100% yet, but working on it.

Jim VE9WH

#24 greyghost

greyghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Say what you want boys but it only takes a few who travel in your tournament circles to make a mess of things . Don't think for a second that there not out there .

I once had a tournament organizer/participant tell me that he'd be glad when the last NB salmon was dead . That's a fact , and that is the attitude of some who travel in your circles .
* "There are only 70 May's and June's in a man's life ..." - Gregory Clark

#25 Sac

Sac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

So that said Greyghost... the topic was raised to outlaw bass tournaments because of what is claimed to be a few offenders. Is it also conceded we should outlaw trout and salmon fishing because there are a few folks fishing prohibited waters and harvesting beyond the law as well? I shall refrain from getting into a *** for tat discussion here.... I'm just attempting to make a point that not all eggs should be tossed in the same basket. A true sportangler, no matter of desired species, plays by the rules set out every spring by the DNR. There are offenders in all forms of life, you likely accept it when some jackass flies by you on the highway doing 150+ kmh risking the personal safety of your family and friends, but a few bass are tossed into trout waters by some idiots and you guys all raise bloody hell and want to throw the bass tournament series under the bus. It's disgraceful on all fronts for all of us.
As to the organizers statement, to you and I that's offensive. However, how about the hundreds of times have I heard , "save a trout , eat a bass"..... along the same lines, no?

#26 commonsence

commonsence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:56 AM

bass were being caught as far down as the blackville area this summer. with the push for hook and release only being pushed as hard as it is, the bass should fit right in as well. Popular hook and release fish that they are.

#27 commonsence

commonsence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

trying to stop people introducing bass etc into rivers by mistake,intentionally etc is impossible whether one likes to admit to it or not. As in stopping all suicide bombers etc ? cant be done ? pretty hard to stop them etc once they feel they have been wronged , etc and have a just cause to fight against ? just saying that's reality .

#28 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

i see they caught a couple thousand smallies there this year. now the odds are it's to late to do anything except poison or give up. since it's illegal to fish for them there, and very very few eat them, why would a trout or salmon angler stock smallies?! i'm not quite sure how these could possibly be accidentaly stocked.

i'm glad the bass tourney anglers are against illegal bass stocking as a group, now if it was only true of all of the individuals involved. unfortunatly after all the talks i had on the water this year past, with fishermen and wardens, we clearly have not reached/convinced all of them. hopefull we will soon, but it may be to late for the salmon and economy of the Miramiche.
Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#29 madaboutfishing

madaboutfishing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

rick, good to hear most of what you said. the problem is, you are one of the very very very few tournemt bass anglers who are responsible and understand the realities. i have however talked to way too many with the attitude i ranted about abouv. the the use of a live well is only allowed during an official bass tourney, their use at any other time is illegal. and yes, they could stock other ways, but they are lazy enough not to drive an extra half hour to a propper bass lake, so coolers may be to much like work for them. and easier to get caught. i'm glad this was brought up at the nbsfa seminars, because this is your problem - the salmon and trout fishermen sure aren't doing this. this isn't personal Rick.

as memntioned, i like to fish smallies, so i'm not againts the fish per say, just their illegal distribution and the permenant damage it's causing.
do you remember when they first allowed you to use a live well and to cull bass here? it's not as long ago as you think! the tourneys were illegaly culling and using live wells untill some body noticed and told dnr...who then made the brilliant move of making it legal. this was only a few years ago.
i realy don't care about culling for a bass tourney, or any properly run tourney, but do the officials check to make sure the well is empty after weigh in? they should be! this is why the bass tourneys DO have something to do with introducing illegal fish. additionally the idiots that stock lakes just so they can practice closer to home would have no reason to do this if there wasn't a tourney to practice for.

as individuals simpley acting responsibly is fine. as a group you need to show this can be done safely and without harm. lately the bass groups are not coming across as responsible and i can no longer support them or agree that they should be allowed - the enviroment has to come first.

Why doesn't the government ban certain fishing in areas where the target fish is not native? For instance bass tournaments in places that do not have legally stocked bass? Just because there is bass in a certain area now doesn't mean people should be allowed to fish them in tournaments and such, this just validates the illegal stocking of the area.

#30 madaboutfishing

madaboutfishing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

trying to stop people introducing bass etc into rivers by mistake,intentionally etc is impossible whether one likes to admit to it or not. As in stopping all suicide bombers etc ? cant be done ? pretty hard to stop them etc once they feel they have been wronged , etc and have a just cause to fight against ? just saying that's reality .

You are correct, these people are ecological terrorists! There is no other words to describe them. My question is how do they see themselves? Do they even realize that they are helping to wipe out an entire range of species? What gives them that right?

#31 conservethis

conservethis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

For anyone who wants to know.

Miramichi Lake Project Summary for 2011

Efforts to contain and deplete Smallmouth Bass (SMB) in Miramichi Lake in 2010 removed a total of 2,584 SMB from the lake. The number of captures in 2011 declined to 523 Smallmouth Bass. Similarly to 2010, most (> 90%) SMB caught were young of the year. Sampling and fishing efforts in 2011 have increased compared to 2010, therefore the five fold reduction in number of fish caught suggest an important reduction in SMB abundance. Details on catches according to the different sampling techniques are provided below.

Containment Methods: The barrier was installed on the outlet of the lake on May 4, 2011 and remained in place until November 3, 2011 when it was removed to prevent damage to the structure from ice. There were no washouts of the barrier during this period and no SMB were captured at the barrier.

Removal Methods:

1. Boat Electrofishing: Similarly to 2010, electrofishing boat was the most effective gear for capturing SMB. A total of 183.4 hours of electrofishing captured 320 SMB. Catch per unit of effort (CPUE) in 2011 was 1.65 YOY per hr, 0.03 juvenile per hr and 0.07 adults per hr. From 2010 to 2011 CPUE decreased by 90% and 63% for YOY and juveniles. Adult CPUE, although low in both years actually increased in 2011 possibly due to an increase in capture efficiency in 2011 caused by better knowledge on the species and improved capture technique.

2. Gill Nets: A total of 2,712 net nights of effort were spread over 6 months from May to October. Nets were deployed in areas known to support adult SMB. In total, 11 adult SMB were captured, resulting in a CPUE of 0.004 SMB / net night. In addition, 12 gill nets were also deployed during 20-days in a randomized fashion throughout the lake to identify other potential habitats of adult SMB. A total of 240 net nights of effort failed to catch any adult SMB. Gillnet catch rates of Smallmouth Bass (juveniles and adults combined) have declined to 18% of the 2010 level and 3% of those for preliminary gillnetting studies in 2009.

3. Fyke Nets: A total of 8 fyke traps were operated in the Lake and 37 SMB were captured in 2011. The vast majority of SMB captured in Fyke nets were young of the year. A total of 988 net nights of fishing effort resulted in a CPUE of 0.032 YOY and 0.005 Juveniles and Adults combined. Fyke trap catch rates of combined juvenile and adult Smallmouth Bass declined at nearly identical rates to those from gillnetting and are now at 3% of the 2009 level.

4. Beach Seining: The beach seine was used within 20 meters of the shoreline where the bottom was sand or small boulders. It was an effective gear for capturing YOY from August thru to the middle of September and a total of 96 YOY were captured with the beach seine. The gear captured 816 YOY SMB in 2010 during a similar period, reflecting the higher abundance of YOY SMB during that summer. In late September the catch rate for the beach seine approached zero and the gear was not longer used.

5. Backpack Electrofishing Downstream of the Barrier on the Outlet: Each week, electrofishing was conducted in Lake Brook to verify that the barrier was functioning to prevent SMB from escaping the Lake. Electrofishing was conducted for a distance of up to approximately 1.5 km downstream of the barrier. In early August one YOY SMB was captured (and removed) 30 m downstream of the barrier.

6. Backpack electrofishing was also used to fish the shoreline of the lake from mid July to mid September. This was a good method for sweeping rocky shoreline where low water levels prevented the electrofishing boat from operating. In total 52 SMB YOY were captured with this method.

7. Angling: Six adults SMB were caught angling in June and July. All fish were captured along boulders and we aged between 3 to 6 years old.

Summary:

Data indicate that abundance of Smallmouth Bass in Miramichi Lake has been greatly reduced since directed fishing began in 2009. The barrier on Lake Brook has worked well to contain the Smallmouth Bass no captures have been reported in other areas of the Miramichi Watershed. Removal efforts will need to continue to eradicate Smallmouth Bass from Miramichi Lake.

#32 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

hopefully this is good news, and not just a bad year catching them. i have my fingers crossed.

i went through all the survey reports listed in the unb/cri site 2 weeks ago (the ice was melting...so ice fishing slowed down). most of these surveys were done in the 70`s, with some going back as far as 1958 and a few as recent as 90`s. it`s a bit sad and surprising how few lakes had smallies listed before compared to how many have smallies now. since they arrived about 1900, i had thought they were wider spread before, but most of the expansion has been in the last 30 years or so.
Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users