Kayak Fishing Group - First outing May 3rd at Musquash - Page 2 - Canoes/Kayaks - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Kayak Fishing Group - First outing May 3rd at Musquash

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

I'm heading out, likely to sturgeon alley, on Friday when the weather looks best for this week.   Anyone that wants to join me in a kayak is welcome. 

If the ponds aren't open May 3rd, we will likely have to look at something like the hammond for an alternative.. perhaps switch the first two weeks of our kayak group calendar.

I'll send out another e-mail closer to May 3 to get a worm order count.   In the meantime, if anyone from the group is in need sooner, just shoot me an e-mail or PM.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#22 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

I will be out this weekend sat/sun/mon, mostly the Hammond but a few other spots too. I should be able to hook up with some other yakkers some of the tme , so keep us informed.

for laker gear, all that info is good. dorions has a bunch of jointed lures in bombers and a few others - think suspending and deep divers. also a fairly small orange rapala has worked there for lakers in the past. for the deep dep water, think white or white and black tubes and swim baits along with orange in the same. the bottom will be bad, covered in logs  in the deepest water, so make sure you don't mind losing those deep deep gears. jet divers would help, think the deepest.

for the land lochs there, 2.5-5" rapalas or similar, I've done best with single piece for them, along with spinner and worm, just sixe 2 to 4.

the bait fish are mostly smelts and yellow perch there, so keep this in mind.

for brookies, regular gear.

for smallies, they will be deep still, so again deep running gear, swim baits and tunes run reeeeeeely slow.

Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#23 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

with it being so close to ice out, don't concentrate to much on the deep stuff. think 3-4m down max, both shallows and over deep water for feeding lakers, deeper just for resting ones. or so I've read!lol! also, think of not just big baits/lures they also take 2-3" spoons and rapalas.

#24 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Bumping up this thread.    With one very successful kayak fishing trip under our belts where 5 people were able to catch their first sturgeon and 29 sturgeon were caught on the day, we have another trip coming up on May 3rd!

The long term forecast looks good for both Saturday and Sunday.   We will probably wait till Wednesday before making a final call on which day we head out but I think Saturday is the preferred day.

The trip, as mentioned before, is to put in at the boat launch near the dam at East Branch Musquash, fish around the Dam for a bit, and then paddle on up the lake, through the narrows and towards the south end of Loch Alva.    One way will be roughly the same distance as we paddle out and back to Sturgeon Alley this past weekend, but of course we will be stopping and fishing along the way.

We are targeting Lake Trout, Brown Trout and Land Locked Salmon... all can be very big and powerful fish.    Other species that may be caught include smallmouth bass, perch, chub and perhaps a few others.

If you are in for this trip and haven't yet registered, please do so at

https://sites.google...branch-musquash

Cheers,

joe

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#25 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

for those not up to such a long paddle, you could have a nice days fishing within a km of the launch too. I could easily see us breaking up into a couple pods of kayakers, some going long distance, some working the start and middle, while others work much nearer the launch.

#26 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis, N.B.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Dammmmmmmn! I have a rugby game on Saturday :(. I was so excited for this trip. Maybe I can get a friend to go with me on sunday or friday.

#27 Bryce KC

Bryce KC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSt John, NB

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

I have to back out of this saturday's trip due to work.

#28 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

we will catch you guys next time!

#29 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

Next time guys! Brendan, I don't believe you have actually 'joined' the group. If you can, fill out and submit the form on the Join Us page of the group website.

We should still have about 15 kayakers on this trip. Should be a lot of fun!

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#30 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis, N.B.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Nevermind, I'm coming! See you all tommorow morning

#31 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Good stuff.   Going to be a big crowd!

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#32 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

No report yet? Was it that bad?

#33 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

Great weather, though a bit of wind. Lots of kayakers (16 i think) but very few fish. I want to hwar back from others, get pics, etc before saying too much.

I got a good 8.5 hour workout in and caught nothing but a suntan!

Off to help Diaperman catch some sturgeon here in a bit.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#34 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

it was a great day for meeting other yakers and having a good time. it was not awesome for fish but we did okay. I landed a smallie, nothing big but a little fun, lost a land loch on the way in and got to see about a 30-34" laker come up on and then reject my lure - soooo close. I know some others caught some too, including a fair size fat land loch and a bigger smallie, and even a brookie. Craig and I were last off the water, so we didn't get a report on how everybody else did. we definitely did better than the couple boaters who said they were not catching anything...lol. it was the most water I've ever seen coming out of the stream.

#35 Nick fenn

Nick fenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationRothesay NB

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Was a good day even though i only caught one fish, it was a 15in landlocked and she was caught on a big golden spoon with a worm. i would post pictures but i have no idea how to do that so ill post them to the gallery later!

Nick

#36 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

way to go Nick!

#37 yakbud

yakbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSaint John NB

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Was a really good day met a lot of good people, swapped  some tips & of course spent several hrs fishing and did find a spot where I feed some trout a lot of worms lol  but couldn't get ant to set the hook into :( codos to Joe :)  Was Great turnout & a good day fish or no fish..................on another note have to work next weekend :wacko: But will be ready for the weekend of the 17th to 19th :D

"Many men go fishing all there lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"

#38 Nick fenn

Nick fenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationRothesay NB

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

i posted a picture of the landlock in the gallery

#39 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

looks good Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users