Kayak Fishing Group - First outing May 3rd at Musquash - Canoes/Kayaks - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Kayak Fishing Group - First outing May 3rd at Musquash

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hey guys,

I've created a page describing our first planned outing and have a sign up sheet so we can get an idea of what the numbers may look like.   Take a look, sign up if you are planning to go, and let me know if there is anything I need to add/remove/update on this page.

For anyone not signed up in the kayak group, feel free to do so and come fish with us!

Fingers are crossed the ice will be off the water by the first weekend in May!

May 3rd - Musquash for trophy trout

Any questions on the outing itself, what gear to bring, and things of that nature should be made in this thread.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#2 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis, N.B.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

What will the fee be for the tournament? I am very interested!

#3 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

This isn't the thread for it, but what the heck.  lol

The fees and all other information is on the tournament webpage.   For the fees and such see the 'registration' page.

NB Paddler's Derby in Oromocto - June 21st ($30 adult or adult/child, $20 Youth up to 15 years old)
Hammond River Classic - August 16th ($30 adult or adult/child, $20 Youth up to 15 years old)
Both Derbies ($50 adult or adult/child, $30 Youth)

You will be able to register and pay at Doiron's or Eco-logical adventures after Saturday assuming I get out there to drop off the forms, or you can use the Paypal links on the website, or contact me directly and we can meet or do an e-mail transfer.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#4 getmoresoon

getmoresoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHampton

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Hey folks. Since there are some pretty big browns in that reservoir, and I thought I heard mention of land locked salmon, should we pickup salmon tags? I thought I read sometime ago some spots dfo wants trout tagged as if they were salmon. I never buy the salmon part of my license considering my normal outings, but with some of the outings planned this year, should we be picking up the bigger license?

Getmoresoon

#5 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

I should know the answer to this but because of 2 reasons I don't: 

1)  I haven't caugth a land locked yet, though have only tried a couple of times and never in prime conditions.

2)  I probably wouldn't keep it anyway.  I really just want the picture/video.   Once documented, I'd return him as unharmed as possible.

I'd keep a feed of brook trout, but a really big laker or brown I'd have to put back.

That being said, I would have no resentments against anyone else keeping any fish that was within legal limits.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#6 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

To clarify the exact regulations (at least for the Lower Saint John recreational fishing zone, check the guide for other areas):

- You don't need a salmon license to fish for any landlock salmon. A regular class license will do.

- If you wish to retain a landlock salmon, here's the chart.

-- less than 34.9cm - catch and release only.

-- between 35cm and 47.9cm - anyone with either license can retain.

-- between 48cm and 62.9cm - those with a salmon license can retain. Requires a salmon tag.

-- 63cm or greater - catch and release only.

Does not apply to brown trout (max of two, or of one if you are also retaining a lake trout, or of zero if you retain two lake trout), they require only a standard license and no tags. Can retain only if above 15cm.

#7 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

I guess for the salmon license for land lochs, it depends how big a fish eater you are.

most land lochs are a bit skinny, so not a lot of meat, less than  you would get from a brookie of the same length. I get my salmon license anyway, but only tag a land loch every second year or so.

Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#8 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

31 in the kayak group with 11 signed up for the May 3rd outing so far! Going to be a great way to kick off the year, make new friends, and hopefully land a rare laker!

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#9 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

Maybe somebody in the "know" could post a shopping list we would need to tackle these monsters? What specific terminal tackle and such?

#10 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

I don't think there is a 1 right answer, though knowing IPop he may try!

At Doiron's this past weekend, Abby recommended the 4 (or was it 4.5) inch Live Target shad lure.   It looks pretty sweet as all Live Target lures do.

I'd say for the bigger fish bring lots of different types of crankbaits, spoons, plugs, spinnerbaits...etc that are 3 - 5 inches of all color schemes.    Spinner/worm of course may work.    I'll have a bunch of assorted plugs from Lymans Lures to share with the group as well which may prove as successful here as they are out in BC.

There are perch/smb/chub, brook trout...etc as well out there to be caught, so bring your gear for those as well  (mainly worm for me, but I'll try some spinner baits as well).    For the brook trout near the north end, there is a nice spot that could work well for your fly rod.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#11 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

The problem is, I suspect most of us in the group including myself have never targeted lake trout and have no clue what to bring for hardware. I mean, I can take a total shot in the dark and dig through my tackle boxes, and bring crankbaits and whatnots that look appealing to me the angler, but is that something a laker will like?  If someone like ipop were to tell us, "you can bring this, this, and/or this as they've proven effective for me in the past" would be immensely helpful. The thing about Abby is he'll recommend stuff, but he doesn't necessarily "know" like somebody like ipop "knows". You "know" what I mean? :)

And I know you'd say for bigger fish bring different types of crankbaits, etc., but that's just like me taking a guess. What I mean is if somebody on here "knows" how to fish for NB lakers, please share. :)  When I go to a smallie tourney, like the smallie slam in NS, I "know" what to bring, same thing for a pickerel tourney. And I only need a very small tackle box to end up in the top 5. But lakers? Nada.

The other thing is, I'm a minimalist, and therefore I'm not one to bring all my stuff with me to a fishing outing and not use 90% of it, but would rather bring what I will likely need, without having too much stuff in my kayak to potentially lose or whatever. If you've seen my kayak at a multi-species tourney, you've no doubt noticed that I'm the guy with the least amount of gear with me. Even when fly fishing, I'll be the guy with three or four different flies on me, while my fishing partner(s) will have multiple dozens to chose from, carrying backpacks with fly boxes and all the bells and whistles. Me? I'll just have a fishing shirt with a fly box in my front pocket and a pair of clippers, yet I'll do as well or better than them. "Knowing" is half the battle. :) 

#12 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

I've had some success with lakers, though not on this particular lake.

Personally, I use the biggest Rapalas I can find, in grey/white colours, and JOINTED. These large jointed raps are very hard to find in big sizes. There are none in Moncton. I'm talking J13 at the very minimum, and bigger. The bigger the better. Jointed work far better than one piece Raps. I troll these slowly, paddling or motoring in a great big S pattern. I try to get them as deep as possible but I don't use weights.  I have landed many lakers and big brookies in lakes doing this, my biggest being 8.5 pounds so far at Long Lake Outdoor Adventures. While this same technique is allegedly good for landlocks, I have never caught a landlock this way.

If you prefer bait, get yourself a great big honking massive Hildebrandt spinner, and I mean BIG, as in 8 or more inches long, with several leafs, in a gold colour, and don't spare the worms. Put on lots. Add a foot leader under this huge spinner and a good sized hook, loaded with crawlers. Good for trolling, casting and retreiving as well.

Two things I rely on: let the lure/bait go deep, real deep, real real deep, and use BIG spinners, BIG rapalas (always jointed, if possible, but good luck finding them in stores, or the big Hildebrandts because both seem to be rare in NB stores.)

Big, big, big, big gear! Did I mention you should use BIG gear? And by the way, use big gear.

PS Use big gear. LOL

I'm sure others have their own sure-fire methods, but this is what works for me.

#13 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

THAT'S what I'm talking about! Thanks, Lobsterman!

#14 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

By coincidence, I just got back from CTC and they have nothing even close to the size of Hildie spinners or big Raps, let alone jointed big Raps, at their Dieppe store. I haven't seen any at any store in this city for years. Maybe Better Buys or Green Diamond? You might have to get them online. Cabelas often runs out of them, so order soon if you plan to do so. As you might guess, the fact that Cabelas can't keep them in stock attests to how well they work. :) I swear by Raps with grey backs and white bellies. I no longer bother with any other colours. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's me.

I'm glad to be of some help.

A word to the wise to novice lake trout hunters. These monsters will come to the boat rather easily for their size - but don't be fooled! Once you get it to the top of the water, don't even THINK about trying to net it, because at that point the fight will well and truly be on. You will think, "Ok, this guy is coming in pretty easily, gee I wish it would fight more," and you'll grab your net, but as soon as that thing sees blue sky, look out! It will dive to the bottom again in the blink of an eye and the fight will really begin. Make sure your drag is set properly BEFORE you even head out, and wait for it to tire out before distracting yourself by grabbing the net. It could dive like this three or four times,so don't rush it.

Many a monster has been lost by someone wrestling it in straight away, and then trying to net it as soon as they see it, which will only send that fish bolting 50 feet down in about a split second.Which it is going to do anyway as soon as it sees the top-water. Easy to snap your line that way or otherwise lose the fish.

And if you have ahold of your line with your bare hand, prepare to have a mark burned into your hand for life. This hurts beyond description, like a being hit by a red-hot branding iron. Trust me, it's not a mistake that you will make twice. Not that I ever did this. No, never. Honest.

I have lost bigger lakers than I ever caught via trial-and-error, including a couple of 10+-pounders. I think I finally have my "trial" phase out of the way. It's a tough way to learn but, for sure, once you lose a few fish of a lifetime from not having the drag set right, or using too light of a line, or too small of a rod, or cheap crappy equipment, or trying to net it too soon, or trying to hand-line it to the net, or by waiting until the fish is on to adjust your drag, these are lessons that no one ever has to be taught twice.

A very common mistake that newcomers make is to use swivels that are not big and hardy enough. Get the best swivels money can buy. If your knots are solid, then your swivel could well be the weakest link in your equipment. That $2 that you saved on swivels won't seem like much money when you see a 8 or 12-pound fish swim away with your lure or hook in its mouth, never to be seen again.

I rarely kill a fish, but I took that 8.5-pounder home to eat. That was a big mistake. It tasted ok but hardly worth killing it. Like others on here always say, keep a few pan fish for supper if you want, but let the big guys go. I still feel bad over taking that fish and I won't make the same mistake again. I will never crap on anyone who legally takes a fish home, but hopefully my extreme remorse over my action will convince you to do likewise.

PS Use BIG gear.  :lol:  If you aren't sure if your terminal tackle is big enough, always err on the side of bigger.  

EDIT: Cabelas only has the big Raps up to size J13, which are big enough anywayand might be as big as they are made (Unsure) . And I got the last two of them. They can be backordered however.

#15 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis, N.B.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

has anybody checked the ice yet? I doubt it'll be out for a while

#16 Salmonman

Salmonman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

I think we should use Big Gear...I picked up trolling spoons in silver/ blue for lakers...and have had luck with Rapals for lockies...orange...and BIG !!!

#17 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Be careful though - BIG GEAR has a tendency to get lodged in icebergs. 

Lots of good tips in this thread. I can't join the bunch on the trip but I hope they have good luck. Is someone bringing a videocamera?

#18 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

I'll be taking video, and possibly others if anyone else coming has a camera to use.   Everyone should have a camera.   I have spare GoPro batteries arriving this week so should not run out of juice when someone lands the big one!

If the conditions are not good (aka still ice on the pond) we will push the date back a week.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#19 yakbud

yakbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSaint John NB

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

1st I hope we don't have to push back a week ( I work the next weekend ) but if we do any ideas what in place of there ? maybe the Hammond or an other river ? :) And anybody maybe want to hit the Kennebecasis at Hampton or the Hammond this weekend, I'm off this weekend so would be good sat,sun,and Monday :)  even if the fishing isn't great would be good to get the yak in the water for the first time this year .....................................oh and before I forget Joe if we go on the 3rd or 4th bring me 2 tubes of those worms please....Thanks

"Many men go fishing all there lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"

#20 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

I'm definitely fishing this weekend. Will it be kayak fishing on the lower Hammond, though? Not sure. We'll see, but a definite possibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users