• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gmaze

gmaze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Would love to get out to fish a few smelt. Is there anything happening in the Rexton area? Any info would be appreciated. Best location, best time, etc.. Thanks

#2 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

This might be helpful.

I was not near Rexton but still on the strait, near Cap-Pele, during the period in Feb. two weeks ago when the tides were at their weakest. It was the worst smelt fishing I ever had. I was in a spot where I have never failed to limit out, yet between two of u, we only got five smelts. I was shocked.

This info might be helpful in timing your trip. Rexton is usually pretty productive, but after my trip near Cap-Pele, I would suggest you time your excursion for when the tides are strong.

According to this: http://tides.mobileg...tion=richibucto   the tides are really weak this week but get stronger every day next week (first week of March) until they peak next Saturday (Mar. 8.)

If you can only go this week, i would still go. But if you can go next week, I would wait.

#3 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

My dad who lives in Richibucto informed me yesterday that they are getting lots of smelts, and big ones too, but this was more towards the mouth of the Richibucto River, near the dunes. You'd need a snowmobile to get out there, or walk about 10km on the ice and snow. Not sure if they're getting any in Rexton, but I wouldn't doubt it. If you have a pop up shelter, I'd go down Water Street by the church, and I'd have a look to see if anybody still has their shacks by McAlmon Island, and if so, I'd punch a hole and give it a try.

#4 gmaze

gmaze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Thanks guys. I'm looking at going next week. I never been out for smelt but look forward to it. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users