#1 rocketball

rocketball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Locationfreddy beach

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

Last summer I spent some time fishing Largemouth just southeast of Belfast Maine and really enjoyed catching smallies and largemouth in the same water. This winter I have been keyboard fishing and have found a few lakes just west of Calais Me that hold largemouth.  These lakes are within a 2 hr drive of Fredericton, I don't mind the drive if it means good fishing. The lakes that I have found are Pocomoonshine and Crawford which are connected and both are part of the Machias river system. Another is Boyden Lake and also Hadley Lake but Hadley is a little farther south towards machias. The 2 lakes I am going to focus on are Pocomoonshine and Crawford lake up near Princeton. There is very little info online about these 2 lakes, but what info I found is that they are great lakes to fish for smallies and largemouth with fairly low boat traffic. Big lake which is also in the area is considered one of the best rated smallmouth lakes in New England but doesn't hold a largemouth population. I have spent some time on Big lake as a teenager fishing and it fished very well! Does anyone have any info they are willing to give up about fishing largemouth in this area?  

nathan robinson

paddling with a purpuse

www.canadiankayakanglers.com

#2 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Nathan, Try asking this on the NBSFA facebook page. I am pretty sure some of the guys have fished bass in Boyden lake in the Maine Bladerunners tournaments as well as other nearby lakes!

#3 rocketball

rocketball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Locationfreddy beach

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Casey thanks I will do that!

nathan robinson

paddling with a purpuse

#4 rocketball

rocketball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Locationfreddy beach

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

casey looks like there is a bladerunners tourney at pocomoonshine, Crawford, boyben and Hadley. That's pretty much says to me those lakes are worth checking out!

nathan robinson

paddling with a purpuse

#5 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSaint John N.B.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

I have fished both lakes , poco moonshine , once and boydens I fish often as it's close to my campground . Never got a bite at moonshine, boydens I've had a little success . Not nearly as much as I would expect ... Boydens is quite shallow and a lot of weeds ...
Ok old man winter ! Take the panties off and get making some ice !

#6 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

http://www.maine.gov...ebasswaters.pdf

#7 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

This years president of the Maine Bladerunners is a New Brunswicker

Jim VE9WH

#8 rocketball

rocketball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Locationfreddy beach

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

that's the link I used to find out what lakes in maine held largemouth which were closest to Fredericton. great info right there!! thanks guys. Kinda surprised that A2F didn't get much luck at those 2 lakes. I'll just have to wait and see how I make out once I get down that way this summer.

nathan robinson

paddling with a purpuse

#9 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

I find the shallow lakes in the hot summer months turn right off ..... Which is when I fished meddy....

#10 rocketball

rocketball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Locationfreddy beach

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

good point A2F as these lakes are fairly shallow. Hopefully going to get down that way fairly early on before the hot weather sets in and water temps rise too much

nathan robinson

paddling with a purpuse

#11 Ricky

Ricky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

I've fished in the Belgrade Lakes area, which is a little further south. If you are going that far, I may be able to give you some spots.

#12 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'd take any tips myself . Having a trailer at Keenes if try to get out every trip down , but usually only have 4-5 hrs every other weekend .... Mostly fish Nash's or boydens as they are close ... Nash's is full of bass but they are small , each year I expect to get some larger ones but just don't see the numbers I expect .... Boydens I can't seem to figure out at all !! Any tips on locations would be great !

#13 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

Hey A2F, time to change your "" Ok, old man winter" statement as it must be whats causing all the crappy weather, haha

#14 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hey A2F, time to change your "" Ok, old man winter" statement as it must be whats causing all the crappy weather, haha

That could be Casey ! Lol. Forgot it was there ! Sure was a Long freaking winter !

#15 rocketball

rocketball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Locationfreddy beach

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

heading too maine Next weekend for a week. I'll be fishing the Belfast area so I'll report what I catch or don't catch lol I may end up at pokie or boyden this sat before I head a little farther south. If not I'll be hitting those lakes hopefully after I get back from belfast

nathan robinson

paddling with a purpuse

#16 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

heading too maine Next weekend for a week. I'll be fishing the Belfast area so I'll report what I catch or don't catch lol I may end up at pokie or boyden this sat before I head a little farther south. If not I'll be hitting those lakes hopefully after I get back from belfast

Good luck ! I'll be down there this sat too but probably won't be fishin , have to open the trailer , and catch up on all the cheap liquor I missed out on all winter ! Lol

#17 rocketball

rocketball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Locationfreddy beach

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

fished quantabacook lake and a small pond near searsmont maine this week. The lake was still fairly cold with temps in the low 50's but on the north end there is a small creek that dumps into the lake and there was some nice laregmouth that had moved up into the shallows. Water temps were mid 50's up in that area and the fish were fairly active. 

10298908_10152041094981930_8673415260571

10313996_10152041096196930_7373879511130

10336660_10152041095726930_9760810712017

10373788_10152041095626930_7118609911036

10268447_10152041094946930_3813611986848

nathan robinson

paddling with a purpuse

#18 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

What type of licenses you need to buy in order to fish in Maine? In addition to the fishing license, I think they call them alien license for canadians, do you have to buy something else extra for your kayak or boat?

#19 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

For a boat I think you need a weed sticker and a throwing pillow

Jim VE9WH

#20 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:27 PM

What type of licenses you need to buy in order to fish in Maine? In addition to the fishing license, I think they call them alien license for canadians, do you have to buy something else extra for your kayak or boat?

As for lisence you an get different lisences just like here .. Out of state is called an alien lisence , I buy a year lisence it's $80 U.S. ...
As for the boat yes you need a weed sticker for anything motorized ! Weather gas or electric ... They are $20 .... You can get both at johnsons hardware in Calais ... It's across form McDonalds ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users