• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 4evrfshn

4evrfshn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hi guys looking at buying an angling kayak in the spring. Looking for an all around kayak and was looking at the ocean kayak trident 13. Seem like a pretty good kayak and fairly reasonably priced. Looking for pros and cons maybe another model I should be looking at? Any one have a trident 13? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

If you're looking at an "all around kayak", just asking if you've included sit-on-top angler models and sit-in-side recreational models in your comparison.

Sit-on-tops have the plusses of being better set up for fishing with greater stability and more spots for gear mounts, but the minuses that they're usually a bit heavier and less streamlined, and much colder in early spring and late fall fishing because you're largely outside of the boat. I have a 12' sit-inside and it's nice to have a bit more internal storage in the bulkheads, and to put my young son on the floor in front of me for a paddle or family fish on occasion.  

I was considering a second one for an SOT model myself - sit-in for the spring and fall, sit-on for the summer and bigger-fish pursuits.  Will be good to hear the feedback on the 13'-er. 

#3 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

The Trident 13 is one of the best, if not the best, all around angling kayak out there for the price.   Not having been in one myself, I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read and heard there isn't really much in the way of a downside to that kayak.

When it comes time to buy, be sure to check out Paul at Eco-Logicial Adventures in Oromocto.   He's been fantastic for the kayak angling community through the years, not only in service and price, but also in his support of the community through the NB Paddler's derby and Hammond River Classic.   Again this year Paul is ready to contribute a kayak to both derbies for someone to take home (it could be you!)

Instead of buying right now, you may want to wait till Spring and trying out a few different models.   If you join up in the newly formed Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers Group  (link in my signature), you will meet others, both new to the sport and season vets, and get to see lots of different kayaks in action.    From there you may be better informed to decide exactly which kayak would be best for you.   Remember the best kayak for one person, may not be the best kayak for the next person.   All sorts of factors should be considered like personal height/weight, style of fishing, do you want to do overnight camping with the kayak, weight of the kayak and the ability to transport it,...etc.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#4 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

I agree. The Trident is probably the best choice. I've never owned one, but have tried them and I liked them a lot.

#5 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSackville, NB

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

Bought my Trident 13 from Paul......Great yak and great service from Paul!

Have had in lakes, brooks, rivers and the Straight......all good! 

If you are close to Sackville, you can try mine out or stop and take a look at it.

#6 bassfreak

bassfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

I too have bought my Trident 13 Angler (Camo pattern) from Paul at Ecological Adventures in Oromocto and I do not have one regret...the guy is fantastic!!!!!.....very knowledgable and completly honest.......and If I could give a plug to him for your business then let me do so....but I must say once you have met him....talk a bit and if you buy there...you will not be dissapointed.  I often stop in to just say Hi and chat a bit....

I have everything good to say about my Trident 13...it is awesome and very stable....hang your feet over the side and cast away without fear of tipping over.......I find it relatively east to paddle and it is the bomb for sneaking up on the fish.....you can slam that thing in the weeds and get the big hogs that you just cant reach with a boat.  Now keep in mind this is my first ever kayak....never paddled one before....ever until I bought mine...so take what Im saying for what you want...Im a newbie to kayak fishing but not a newbie to fishing...

I opted for the rudder model but rarely use it....normally whem Im drift casting I like to have it in the water and control my drift somewhat.  I do like the ample storage it has.......but if there was anything Im would like to change it would be the location of the fish finder area....I find it a little too far forward for me.....but Im only about 5'-9" on a good day...lol......I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON AN ALTERNATE mount for my fish finder......hopefulll if I can find the time to finish it....lol.

All in al I love my Ocean Kayak Trident 13.....great Yak....very stable....ample storage for my needs.  I had a serious back injury a few years ago....surgery and time....I find fishing in the yak just torches my back and am looking at upgrading the seat to see if I can get some added comfort from that...if it werent for that I would have no complaints at all........but the back injury nagging pain has nothing to do with the yak.......its just a limitation of this beat up old body of mime........I would say go see PAUL at Ecological .....do your research about what you like and dont like...

#7 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Would it be tough (or even advisable) to attach a trolling motor to one of these things?

(Remember, you'd also need room for a very large and heavy battery for the motor.)

#8 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

You could put one on there. People have, however, it defeats the purpose of "kayak fishing", and you would tend to be shunned by the kayak fishing community. It's not considered "good form". I'm not saying I'd be shunning you, as it doesn't bother me one way or another what you do with your kayak. Just saying that that's the general consensus out there.

#9 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSackville, NB

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Bass freak, I am 6'1" and still use my paddle to operate my fish finder. 

Looking for a an extendable pointer device to leave in the boat.

#10 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

I gotcha, Stroover. Thanks! 

#11 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hey Jim, ocean kayaks make the "tourque" which is a kayak with a trolling motor which can be taken out or run with it in !!

#12 bassfreak

bassfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hey Rob,

Im going to try to mount mine a little closer to me so I diont have to reach the FFinder controls.  I wish they had the FFinder compartment a little closer is all....seeing that they I am working on a plate to mount my fish finder to and then attach that to my pod cover right ion front of me.......I called Hummingbird to get a transducer that would fit in my scupper hole but they dont make a transducer for my model of FFinder thatfits the Trident 13 scupper hole......they did send me a transduce that will have to be mounted internally in the hull and I got to keep the one that came with the unit...usually they want you to ssend that back.....I bought the FFinder late last summer at BPS in Foxborough and started the mount refit in the fall......but havent got back to it.........I have a few picsd I can upload to my gallery and send you the links when I get them uploaded...but for the life of me I cant seem to get to the "upload"feature...?????...

#13 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Casey. I don't mind paddling, it just seems to me it would make for a great day to putter around with the troller, casting here and there, and taking in the sights, having a cold beer in my hand instead of a sweaty paddle. Just once in a while anyway.

I rebuilt an old tin 12' canoe last year, put a 45 lb Kinn Kota on it last fall, and it's so much fun cruising around that sometimes I don't want to go home at night. It got my imagination going about putting the MK on a kayak.

#14 4evrfshn

4evrfshn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Good to hear about this kayak. Have already been into the store in Oromocto. Never met Paul but great service from the girl that was there also. Think I will go with this kayak. The seat did seem a little lacking to me but the oldtown that was there had a nice seat but was 20 lbs heavier.  Thanks for the comments guys.

#15 bassfreak

bassfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi guys looking at buying an angling kayak in the spring. Looking for an all around kayak and was looking at the ocean kayak trident 13. Seem like a pretty good kayak and fairly reasonably priced. Looking for pros and cons maybe another model I should be looking at? Any one have a trident 13? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I added some pics of my Trident 13 in my gallery if you want to take a look.......in the spring Im going to add an anchor and a few more decals....

#16 4evrfshn

4evrfshn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Thanks Bassfreak. Looks great in the pictures.

#17 Salmonman

Salmonman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

I too have an OK Trident 13 Angler Edition in Urban Camo color...also bought from Paul at Ecological...5 stars for the yak and 5 stars for Paul! Now starting to rig it up...but too many ideas to choose from...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users