Globe and Mail's report on smelt after a Renforth visit - Smelt - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Globe and Mail's report on smelt after a Renforth visit

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

Interesting read. Can help but wince a little at the reference to beer cans all over the ice, but heck, they ARE reporters looking for a human interest angle.

Why this little fish is on some of the biggest menus around

Did they get anything wrong? I've never eaten them backbone and all, and eating them with hot dipping sauce (the recipe at the bottom of the article) just seems wrong given how delicate their flavour is.

#2 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I eat pretty well everything, except for the biggest ones, ill leave the back bone and head , but the little guys I eat the bones, guts, head everything my dad's side of the family is from Nfld and I grew up eating capelin which are pretty well just a small version of a smelt, and those its customary to eat everything including the head..especially the dried salted ones.roasted over a fire...mmmmm mm just like potato chips can't stop eatin em...turn some heads at a bonefire when you roast those suckers and eat the head and all hahaha...hotsauce tho? Im like you I think that would just overpower the great delicate, sweetness of the smelt...I would think sweet thai or plum sauce would be better but that's just me

#3 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

I put the big ones back. Generally, the big ones are female and the small ones are male. I take a pair of scissors and snip off the head, then cut the belly open and remove the guts. Then, I batter them and deep fry them and eat them like french fries, tail, back bone, and all.

#4 A2F

A2F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSaint John N.B.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

I don't eat them often but last winter we deep fried them in the shack . Cleaned and dipped in pancake batter , delishous
Ok old man winter ! Take the panties off and get making some ice !

#5 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

Just had a dozen for supper that were caught today in Shediac. 20 were caught just on pieces of red yarn!! Amazing to watch them bite the yarn, only 2 hit the hooks with gulp bait on.

#6 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

I clean like stroover does, then dust in flour/pancake mix - none inside-and fry or deep fry. I take the spine out to eat then.

mmmmm tastey. good with any sauce on the side, from sweet&sour to ketchup to plum sauce to a nice white sauce. I like them with potatoes and peas!

Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#7 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:52 AM

Casey, think I'll try the yarn trick. Do you just thread the hook through the end of a one-inch piece or something so there's a little bit of wavy action?

#8 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

I seen it tied on in the bend/bottom, double half hitch with 1/2" hanging on each side of the knot

#9 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

I tie one piece about 4" long just above the bell sinker and another piece about 6" farther up. I will post a pic in the gallery and u can see the setup. There are also 2 small hooks baited with green gulp.

#10 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Casey, are you saying that the yarn is just yarn attached to the fishing line with no hook on them???

#11 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Yes, that's right. Of 22 smelts caught, 20 bit only on the yarn. I actually have a line with only 4 pieces of yarn but I only caught a couple on it, I think it was overkill. 2 pieces of yarn like in the pic seems to work the best!!

#12 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

I can see how that would work a treat. One look at a smelt's mouth would give away the secret. They have very long and needle-sharp teeth. One bite on a piece of yarn and they'd be hopelessly snarled and couldn't escape at all as long as you reeled 'em in quickly to keep pressure on their mouth. 

Now all I need to do is come up with an excuse as to why one of my wife's wool scarves has a chunk out of its tassels... "I dunno, honey. Maybe the brats were playing with scissors again?"

#13 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

I can't see your picture of the yarn anywhere in there, Casey. Is it just my computer, or when you click on "gallery"  is there just the title "gallery" in the upper left hand corner with nothing but a big white empty space, and a bunch of guys' avatars all the way to the right going down?

#14 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I can't see your picture of the yarn anywhere in there, Casey. Is it just my computer, or when you click on "gallery"  is there just the title "gallery" in the upper left hand corner with nothing but a big white empty space, and a bunch of guys' avatars all the way to the right going down?

http://newbrunswickf...ool-of-minnows/

#15 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Bakeapples thanks for putting up the link!!

#16 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

I have used the yarn trick for many years. Oddly, sometimes it works super-duper, and sometimes they will come to the yarn but not bite it.

I use it all the time, and I always will. Even spearing them, I will use a piece of red yarn to get them to come to the hole, and then I get stabby. :) That really works well. It's an old trick from back in the days of the pioneers.

#17 emptynetmaster

emptynetmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

The real injustice here is that I fish that same shack for days and get nothing and Casey goes out to it for a couple of hours and gets a feed with yarn! LOL guess I am going to throw away my hooks and only go fishing with Casey.

#18 bucbug

bucbug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationHaneytown

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

More news from Renforth on the CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tions-1.2530194

#19 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Is the fishing at Renforth SERIOUSLY the best it's been in years? ( according to Gary Gower). I find that hard to beleive as we're catching next to nothing at Cameron Rd, just 5.7 Km upriver. This is only the 4th year we ice fish at Cameron, so I don't have much to base it on, however the first three years everybody in the shack would get their limit of 60 in one to two hours on any given day or night. This year? Nada!

#20 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

From a size perspective only, from what the article says. "Fisherman Dwight Conwell says there are fewer fish being caught this year, but the fish are larger. In previous years they're quite small, four to six inches and we caught lots of them," said Conwell. "You know, it's nothing to pull 150 out in a day. This year, we're lucky if we get 25, but they're larger size so we're doing well."

I'd much rather have 150 small smelt than 25 jumbos. 

Someone else mentioned the dogfish being caught, but if that's a reference to Homebrew's catch, it wasn't at Renforth and it wasn't out of a shack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users