46 replies to this topic

#41 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

Smelt have been pretty well non-existant in Grand lake this year to...atleast for me..ive gotten the odd big one here and there on trips out but nothing significant in numbers 

#42 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Locationformerly Kingston Penninsula,now Sussex(miss the Creek)

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

I'm in the grey portable shack in the 3rd row. Had a half decent day yesterday,caught about 100 or so between the two of us. Even managed to snag a 2- 21/2 ft. eel on my hake line that I usually set in the far corner of the shack. What a mess,it was almost as thick as my wrist,destroyed the hake line ,slimed everything before I managed to cut him off and send him on his merry way! We started fishing about noon,caught maybe 8-10 till about 130,then the bite turned on and we were hauling doubles hand over fist till about 3.00. Then it ended as quickly as it started. Between 3.00 and 4.00 we might have caught 4 or 5 more.

Just curious,is anyone fishing the Washadamoak for pickerel or perch,I'm thinking of trying a few spots up there. Since I live in sussex,i'm only a few minutes away.Appreciate any tips!

Also the season is already extended,according to this year's ice reg's the season ends March 31 and you have till April 2 to get the shacks off.

Going back down on Wed.,hopefully things are starting to pick up!

#43 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

Down to the Cameron today for 3 hrs. We got about 4 doz..,the wind drove us off the ice,it literally shook our little shack so bad,I thought it was going to rip apart!One minute it was calm and breezy,the next it was like a mini tornado coming through. It must have done some damage in Quis.,none of the traffic lights were working when I started home for Sussex.

I may try the Washadamoak Thurs. for pickerel and then try the Cameron again on Fri.,That is if I have a shack left!

#44 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

I got hammered by the same surprise wind at Dominion, gmac. Was fishing open ice, calm as could be and it looked like a bit of a run was settling in with me getting eight in half an hour (which doesn't sound like much but is really good for this year), and then WHAM I was chasing my sled halfway across the ice pack. Had to duck into a friendly ice shelter to regroup before packing it in.

Now it's calm as anything out there. Odd time of year.

#45 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

Joined a lot of other folk and took my shack off the Cameron yesterday before the big storm hits.. Beautiful Day, fished in my shirt sleeves,got about 2 doz. before we loaded up the shack. I feel bad for the remaining shacks,it;s gonna be hard to get them off especially where a lot of them are frozen in. Hopefully I can use my portable deer blind to finish off the season,need more smelt in the freezer for striper season!

#46 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

You managed to get your shack off today? With all that snow? We took ours off yesterday figuring it likely won't be plowed again this year. You didn't have any problems going around the brown one on the side of the trail?

#47 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

NO,it was Sat. we took it off,we just folded it down and slid it in the back of the truck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users