"Dead fish" pics in gallery? - Newbrunswickfishing.com Site Stuff - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

"Dead fish" pics in gallery?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

The question came up in a recent topic. Previous ownership had a moderation rule that no 'dead fish' were to be posted in the gallery. Does the current admin uphold or relax this rule?

Thanks.

#2 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

It's a fair question given smelt is pretty much never considered a catch and release fish, however I think that once the line is changed from black and white to grey, it becomes a LOT harder to moderate. 

I'd play it safe and save the smelt pics.    If you get one that is particularly large, perhaps get a pic of it fresh out of the water next to a ruler as you would any other fish being measured and that should be safe to post.   Or if it's a kid with the fish still on the hook or something like that should be fine.   I wouldn't think a pic of  a bag or bucket full of smelt that are intended for the frying pan would be looked upon favorably by the moderators.

Full disclosure, I've had a few pics removed from my cod fishing trip with the kids last summer.  I was thinking that because legally you are not allowed to return the fish to the water, and there is heavily regulated and monitored set limit it would be ok, but alas, I could only keep up those few pics of that trip where the fish were fresh caught and appeared as though they may have been released.   I have no problem with it, as like I say, a grey line is difficult to moderate, but I see both sides.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#3 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

I took my smelt pic down the other day as I had completely forgot that the dead fish rule would apply to them as they are not normally considered as a c&r type fish. I have no problem with the rule, just my memory,haha.

#4 mod

mod

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

As long as the fish looks like it is alive and is releasable is the rule, I have no problem with a pick of a fish dripping with water, fins up , looking lively , beside a tape measure ...the terms and conditions have not changed with site ownership . If in doubt please PM me a copy of the pic and I will let you know before you post it. 

Thanks for your continued support

newbrunswickfishing.com Staff

#5 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Thank you for the clarification. I think the essence of the point is "no", and have no problem with that whatsoever. :)

#6 emptynetmaster

emptynetmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Stupid question, but why is this rule there?  I know that we post hunting pics (tastefully done) all the time.  I would not endorse tasteless pics of fish, fowl or beast, but I'm just wondering about the reasoning behind this rule?

#7 Chadman

Chadman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern New Brunswick

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

ya i'm wondering if the new owner would be open to tasteful pics of retained fish?

#8 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Stupid question, but why is this rule there?.....  I'm just wondering about the reasoning behind this rule?

Hey, good question! I'm ok with the rule, but its always nice to understand the rationale for the rules.

brent

#9 mod

mod

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

This site and the owners (former and current) and Staff support 100% C&R for all fishing ....their site ...their rules they pay the bills,  sorry fella's thats the best explanation I have for yah

#10 skeeterpro

skeeterpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Locationquispamsis

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

with the challenges of the fishery -cant understand why anyone would not want to promote C+R only - 

pictures of large stringers of trout should be a thing of the past 

As well - pregnant women and kids should not be eating fish caught in NB as the mercury level is to high . 

so point being  we should be only promoting C+R to the youth anyhow .

Bass fishermen are religious with this and as such the fishery has been ok so far - But change that culture and it will die fast  

a 3 + pound bass is over 10 years old and likly 15 - kill 2 or 3 of those and you wipe out spawner s for years 

catch and release - is the way to go and should be wast is promoted by a site like this 

#11 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Getting a little off topic here, but...

As well - pregnant women and kids should not be eating fish caught in NB as the mercury level is to high .

Let's not overstate the danger. :) The fishing guide says "not  MUCH fish", limiting servings to several times a month and not living off of a complete diet of it. Everything we do is a little dangerous - sunny days cause skin cancer, accidents while driving could cripple and maim, we could get hepatitis while traveling, heck even a boating accident could claim us. It shouldn't stop us from living or enjoying life.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I fish 'sensibly'. There is no shortage of smelt, yellow perch, or brook trout and unless something extraordinary happens such as a commercial fishery or a body of water gets completely overfished, they'll be there for years to come. 

Bass fishermen are religious with this and as such the fishery has been ok so far

Many are but there are exceptions there too, just like everywhere. The greater danger is not a fisherman who takes home a fish on occasion, it's the one that either ignorantly or deliberately catches way more than their limit, or fishes and retains every day and has a freezerful already, or doesn't know how to handle a caught fish properly to maximize its chances of survival (example: lots of complaints of dead grilse in the miramichi last year). 

#12 emptynetmaster

emptynetmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

I don't mean to be stirring a $#*t pot here, but I am proudly NOT 100% C&R.  I certainly do release many fish and always fish within bag limits and guidelines and I always have 6 or 7 salmon tags left over after a season.  However; I grow my own vegetables and fill my freezer with birds, beasts and yes fish.  I know exactly how much fish my family eats in the run of a season and thats how many I keep.  Perch, pikerel smelt and trout are our favorites and despite keeping enough to feed the family, I usually never come even close to a daily limit of perch and pikerel.  The entire time doing this, I have also taught my kids and spouse the proper way to handle and release fish so that they are not belly up around the next bend in the river.  Sometimes a fisherman can feel like a criminal for keeping a mess of fish and I think it's important to state that if we stay in the bag limits, eat what we keep (no wasted fish) and pass on respect for the species and the habitat to a future generation we are doing our job as sportsmen and women!

#13 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

This site and the owners (former and current) and Staff support 100% C&R for all fishing ....their site ...their rules they pay the bills,  sorry fella's thats the best explanation I have for yah

Absolutely NOTHING to say sorry about. Their site, their rules indeed. Yes, I asked for the rationale, and I guess that pretty much clarifies it. Can we assume that, if C&R is truly the policy, and pictures of kept fish are verboten, then posts that make reference to keeping and/or eating fish must also be verboten, right?

Just for the record, I keep and eat plenty of yellow perch and other 'non-sport' fish each year, as well as a couple of feeds of trout. No, I don't post pictures of them here. Can't imagine anyone wanting to see them, anyway. I don't take pictures of my other groceries and post them on the 'net, either. But I'm pretty sure I can continue to enjoy and learn from this forum without making reference to my eating habits if that's the rule.

(sidenote: you'd think a government that would warn you about the mercury in fish would also refuse to flog light bulbs containing mercury until (or unless) they had a legitimate, reliable and safe means by which to dispose of them)
brent

#14 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

Passive aggressive or scarcastic comments, regardless of the merit of the point trying to be made, is counter productive and may only lead to upsetting others or moderators.

Supporting C&R obviously does not mean the owners of the site do not acknowledge the existing of keeping fish, and as far as I know, there haven't ever said any rules against discussion on what one may or may not have kept for a meal.  But the policy on photos is clear, consistent and reasonable.   

If it were my site, I'd have to think long and hard about what rules I would put in place on the subject.   Off the top of my head I'd like to say I would allow for pictures of dead fish as long as they were caught within the rules and regulations of the government, but how the heck do you enforce that?    The problem is that even if 95% of people follow the rules, use common sense, and a have true respect for the environment and the resource, there is still the 5% that are complete idiots.     It is that 5% which may be forcing the owners to keep this rule in place.   

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#15 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

No passive aggression intended, friend. Sorry you read it that way.

#16 skeeterpro

skeeterpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Locationquispamsis

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

just to clarify - keeping a feed or 2 of fish is not a problem

just that we should promote C+R in hopes it keeps people thinking conservation . 

just so it was not misunderstood - i was trying to support site rules and agree with them

#17 mod

mod

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

I can't see the site rules changing ... When David owned the site it was his reasoning that people didn't want to come on a website and look at pics of dead fish it was bad for the site , bad for business with customers who place ads, and like earlier stated it was his site he paid the bills so his rules. The new ownership has decided they liked the way things were before they owned it and decided that no rule changes were needed. Again their site their rules . Yes we know that the hunting sites here and in NS have pics of dead animals but they are , well, hunting sites ....no C&R in hunting !!  Honestly now why the big fuss ? I don't think anyone cares, even the hardcore releasers, if anyone keeps a feed of trout, perch, bass...whatever as long as its within the law , but, it only takes a minute to snap a "tasteful" pic of a fish rather than one being held up with hand shoved through the gills and bleeding down your arm, or on a big stringer/alder whatever. Then again those are fine to for your family album or your FB page but not here. You as members joined the site and agreed to the rules when you did so....follow the rules and have fun  

#18 emptynetmaster

emptynetmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

mod;  Thanks for the answer to my question.  Crystal clear reasoning behind it and makes sense.  Much appreciated!  The only reason I asked is because my favorite question as a kid was always, "Why?"  And I used to drive the old man crazy when I would never accept "Just because!" as an answer LOL

#19 mod

mod

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

LOL

#20 skeeterpro

skeeterpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Locationquispamsis

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

DNR statement on mercury -   Mercury in Fish

NOTE: Fish from commercial trout ponds and aquaculture operations are considered safe to eat.

Eating fish caught in New Brunswick's lakes or rivers could increase the level of mercury in your body. The following guidelines apply to:

• Brook trout
  • Lake trout
  • Landlocked salmon
  • Smallmouth bass
  • White Perch
  • Yellow Perch
  • Burbot
  • Pickerel
  • Striped bass
  • Catfish

(They do not apply to Atlantic salmon.)

Pregnant women: 

• Do not eat these ten fish.

Women of childbearing age & children under eight years: 

• Limit brook trout (under 29 cm) to one meal/month.
  • Do not eat large fish (over 29 cm) of any species.

Children eight years and older, male adults and women past childbearing: 

• No restriction on brook trout (under 29 cm).
  • Limit brook trout (over 29 cm) to one meal/week.
  • Limit other nine species to one meal/two weeks.

An occasional meal which exceeds the guidelines should have no adverse health effects.

For more information:
Health Canada 
Health  (506) 453-2427

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users