20 replies to this topic

#1 tweegle

tweegle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

I used to do a lot of smelt fishing as a kid/young adult in Cape Breton.  I'm looking to get out somewhere near Moncton.  I'm guessing the Shediac area is the best bet.  I have a portable shack, and I'm wondering if anybody could help me out by sharing where I may find some smelts.  I don't know the Shediac area that well, so the more detail the better.  I really appreciate any help that can be offered.

#2 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Tweegle, check under the topic "smelts" in the forums. There is one ""shediac shacks" in which I gave some advice and directions

#3 emptynetmaster

emptynetmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Casey;  I'm in Riverview as well.  I am thinking of taking my hut out shediac way next weekend.  If your around, you can jump in with me.

#4 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Sounds like a plan, Do u have a portable or a hard wall, and will u be fishing or spearing?

#5 emptynetmaster

emptynetmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

I have a 4X8 that I built myself.  Gonna cut a hole in the ice with a chain saw and fish through a 2X3 hole in the floor.  Will be fishing with spears and jigging lines.  PM me your phone number and I will give you a call when I know when I'm heading out.

#6 tweegle

tweegle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Thanks a lot Casey.  I went out there yesterday and we picked up 65 in a few hours.  Good fun, and a delicious meal!

#7 tweegle

tweegle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Anybody know what the ice conditions are like out in Shediac? Specifically the Queens Ward road area?

#8 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

I was going to drive up today and check it out but due to the conditions right now that plan is on hold. Maybe sat/sun ?? Tweegle- Queens Wharf Rd !!

#9 tweegle

tweegle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Casey. I had the same plans spoiled by weather.

#10 MonctonFishernoob

MonctonFishernoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

i was fishing out in shediac 2 days ago, by the shore was a bit soupy where the ice had lifted up still but that froze over by the second day, i only caught 5 smelt in a few hours, but the weather made it feel like a lot longer than that.

Ice is 8 inches + not the best ice but certainly enough for people to go on, had a few quads drive by me while i was fishing.

was fishing just off the side of tipperary, can see where the shacks are on queens wharf from there so im guessing the ice there should be in the same shape.

Should be good fishing if the weather calms down a bit, or if youre lucky enough to be rocking a shack. The water was also clearer than i fished it all last year would be a good time to spear them if thats what youre in to

#11 MonctonFishernoob

MonctonFishernoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

Also, if anyone wants help setting up shacks im down to help if i can get a bit of fishing in too, shoot me a pm.

Stay safe and good luck on the ice!!

#12 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:11 PM

Drove up to Shediac Cape today for a look. Pic in the gallery at the top of the page. 8 shacks on the ice and 1 lone fisherman sitting in a chair. He had no smelt after 2 hrs. Told me some guys were getting some with spears in a couple of the shacks. 6-8" ice and slushy snow on top.

#13 tweegle

tweegle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:27 AM

Anybody know what the ice is like out Queens Wharf road? Just winding how much snow is on the ice and how much water is under the snow?

#14 MonctonFishernoob

MonctonFishernoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

My father and I went out a couple of days ago after the big snow and before the little bit we got. 1 boot went through the first layer leading dad to say OH MY GOD IVE BROKE THROUGH, i laughed that off knowing it was just a slush layer, but the snow  was not compact at all and tended to start drifting when we went out a little bit further, drilling holes in the loose snow let off a lake of water around it and i had a nice 2 foot wide hole with my 6 inch auger hole in the middle.

We also had fire rescue called on us and had all of shediac come and rescue us, it was a good way to end the night.

This wasnt right at queens wharf, but you can see queens wharf from where we were so im assuming the picture would have been the same.

Few warm days followed by a nice couple cold days to get the snow packed is certainly needed.

#15 tweegle

tweegle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

How has the smelting been lately? Was thinking about taking advantage of the nice weather and heading out.

#16 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

Running decently at times, inconsistently in the south of the province. I had one of my best days ever last Thursday - they were biting on just about anything - and got another 30 or so Sunday over a 3 hour period. Changes from location to location, wherever the swarms are at. I'd suggest you have a couple possible destinations in mind. 

#17 sjclhn

sjclhn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

How are you fishing them retro boy?

#18 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

Right on the ice. Still two feet as of two days ago out on the Kennebecasis. The bigger challenge after this rain is going to be getting out on to the solid ice pack.

#19 tweegle

tweegle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

How's the ice looking in Shediac? Anybody out yet?

#20 Maurice

Maurice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

Im fishing Queens wharf and its decent.. lots of ice as of yesterday but walking difficult due to the snow. Smelts will get better as the full moon aproaches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users