#1 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

I notice that Conservation is always a hot topic on other thread titles. Then those who like to keep fish always go on about morality as if it was an insignificant factor - without morality what type of society would we be, as laws cannot govern EVERYTHING, including manners and how we treat each other! By this reasoning I think morality IS important, and IS a significant factor.

So I thought I would share what I do in my conservation efforts. 

First, I always buy my salmon license, as I like to think the extra money goes to conservation efforts. I do go on one landlock trip a year however and typically keep a fish on that trip. 

Second, I never keep fish that I will not eat the same day. So I don't stockpile or fill the freezer. 

Third, I consider the 'daily bag limits' as my 'yearly bag limit'. So say I can keep 5 trout as a daily bag limit in the regs, then I will not keep more than 5 trout all year.

Fourth, I participate in the Saint John River Chapter of Muskies Canada Inc.'s catch and release log, providing gender, length, girth, tag (when tagged), weight of the muskies I catch.

Finally, I always buy a few Picaroons Upstream Ale when they come out this time of year, as proceeds go towards salmon conservation (ya, THAT's the reason I buy it...).

I fish A LOT. Usually at least once a week, from opening April to late November, and into ice season when ice is safe - not just a couple vacation days here and there. So I feel the regulations are not strict enough for a guy like me and this is why I operate on my own moral (gasp!) code. 

So let's hear it. What do YOU do as your little part towards conservation (or not?)?

#2 Jusmac

Jusmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I always buy a Salmon Live Release license. I Have been buying this license since it came out.. If you buy one and send in the card that comes with it, you get put into a draw to win a prize. And a pretty good prize I might add. I think now its a fly rod setup or something worth well over 500$. Before the license came out, you used to have to send in your 8 unused salmon tags to get put into a draw. When I did this (in 1999, when I was in grade 8) I won a brand new ATV a kawasaki bayou! I was on top of the world!! I think this is a great incentive and I was really surprised this year as I was the last one to buy one at both Canadian Tires in Fredericton. 

I was always brought up to practice catch and release. Thats not saying i haven't kept a few trout to snack on. But I hear stories of people keeping upwards of 400 trout a year and it just sickens me to death knowing that there might not be anything for my young fellas some day....I catch and release everytime now and am only 25 years old.. I have my camera and take a pic of every fish and thats enough for me and I fish every single weekend and I'm proud to say so.

In saying all this I do not hold any type of a grudge to people who keep fish within the law.. My buddies catch and keep fish often and thats great! Its just a personal choice and everyone is entitled to theirs!!

tight lines to everyone!

#3 utopia fisher

utopia fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Ill bite I catch and cook mind you I don't eat fresh water fish ,but I do like striped bass and I'm going to tell you that the recreational fishery will not hurt there numbers there's far worse things happening once they hit the open ocean..gill net ,fish drag ,fish seiners .ill bring bucket fulls of mackerel home to smoke.flounder to fry nice and golden I dip scallops in the winter when it's open.dig clams.shoot critters and pick berrys ..man If I'm doing it wrong tell me what the right thing to do is.

#4 Troutbum

Troutbum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Bout 7 or 8 years ago, I was down behind my house.. had caught and released a few trout but wasn't fishing all that hard... enjoying a warm june evening in the sun. I sat down for a smoke on a little beach across from a fallen tree... the water under it was very dark and hard to see into but I knew it wasn't all that deep. Just as I was getting up to go I saw a flash in the darkest spot.. figured okay, try a couple casts.... between branches where the flash was it was maybe a 3 foot drift... tough cast but I got it in there and slam.. fish on.. I knew it was a nice one but at that point I thought it was probably a bass. Reeled it in closer and my heart took that big jump I know you guys all know... I got it over to my feet and I don't know what happened... it was so beautiful... I had no camera..... no way to prove to anyone I caught a beauty... and I just didn't care.. laid my rod by it.. still swimming... marked a little notch in the rod with my fingernail so I could measure later... reached into the water and slid the hook out without ever touching the fish and watched him swim away.... and I felt great.... stood there on that beach with a big grin on my face.... and I haven't knowingly killed a fish since. Morality??  I don't know... I didn't think morality or ethics or anything particularly important... I knew I had to let this beautiful fish go and I did and I felt great. I know lotsa guys that catch and cook.... I don't care... I do what I do cuz I like it and I assume they feel the same about what they do ..... Cheers guys !     OH !!!   I almost forgot the best part... lol... it was a 23 inch trout...

#5 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Troutbum, I couldn't said it better myself! I caught a 19 3/4 inch Brooky a few years ago, same thing as you, no camra, no one with me, so I took my pliers, slip the hook out of it's jaw and watched it swim away! It was the best feeling in the world! I didn`t care if someone saw the fish or not, it wasn`t about anyone else, it was about me enjoying a nice day fishing, and doing what I love! I don't fish to brag about how many fish I caught, or how big the fish was! I fish because I LOVE TO FISH! It's not the catching of fish I like, it's the sport of fishing! I don't care if I catch a fish or not! It's me in nature, and pease and quiet! Don't get me wrong, catching fish is fun to, but that's not all that fising is about! It's about friends going out and having fun, it's about moms and dads with the kids, spending time together! It's about fun times, making memories, and I think that a lot of people miss the big picture! I catch and release everything except for smelt and mackrel! I love to eat smelt and mackrel! But I don't go in excess! I keep what I know I will eat and share with my mom, because in my imediate family, we are the only ones who actualy like to eat fish! I'll keep what is aloud by law and that's it! One or two good feed and I'm a happy camper! I respect someones choice to keep a few fish for a good luch, just like I like to be respected for letting fish go!

#6 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Great stories Troubum and Striperfan!

Unrelated to your stories, but still related to conservation, page 41 of the regs summary:

Angling Ethics and Courtesy
Ethical anglers are those who appreciate New Brunswick’s natural culture and its history. They protect our natural resources. 

• Ensure quality angling for future generations. Limit your catch, rather than catching your limit. 

#7 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

...natural culture..

Am I the only one who finds this term a tad oxymoronic? Unless, of course, its referring to some bogus ingredient used to sell probiotic (whatever the heck THAT means) yogurt?

Come on. Someone here must have an idea what the term is supposed to mean. Do they mean the behavioural norms associated with angling or with recreating in the woods? I kind of think they meant 'cultural relationship with nature".
(sdavis: this isn't an attack on your post; I am just at a loss as to what that means...)

#8 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

I do this: http://www.asf.ca/live-releae.html

#9 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Am I the only one who finds this term a tad oxymoronic? Unless, of course, its referring to some bogus ingredient used to sell probiotic (whatever the heck THAT means) yogurt?

Come on. Someone here must have an idea what the term is supposed to mean. Do they mean the behavioural norms associated with angling or with recreating in the woods? I kind of think they meant 'cultural relationship with nature".
(sdavis: this isn't an attack on your post; I am just at a loss as to what that means...)

No harm done.... it's not my words! it's DNR!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users