how big is the biggest smallie you guys have caught? - Page 3 - Smallmouth Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

how big is the biggest smallie you guys have caught?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

23 3/4" Long 17 1/2" girth. Early may of this year. Didn't have a scale, just my measuring tape. Using online calculators for weight estimation, it was ranging (depending on the calculator) from 8.5-10.5lbs, so I went with 8.5 lbs (low end to keep it as grounded as possible) though i believe it was likely closer to 9 lbs. She was full of eggs though, which could account for the added girth.

Every other fish since, even the big ones, are still a little bit of a disappointment. :(

#42 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

23 3/4" Long 17 1/2" girth. Early may of this year. Didn't have a scale, just my measuring tape. Using online calculators for weight estimation, it was ranging (depending on the calculator) from 8.5-10.5lbs, so I went with 8.5 lbs (low end to keep it as grounded as possible) though i believe it was likely closer to 9 lbs. She was full of eggs though, which could account for the added girth.

Every other fish since, even the big ones, are still a little bit of a disappointment. :(

Send it in to Record Fish Canada and claim the NB record. Looks like a few people have already submitted a few and knocked out Nick Fenn's record.

Got to wonder how a fish like that came to be in NB water though - probably showed up by TARDIS LOL

http://www.recordfis...outh-bass1.html

#43 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

You need to have a photo of it against a clearly legible measuring tape for it to count as an official record. Which is why I never submitted it. The only photo of it is my holding it (see gallery), and it isn't the best photo because the fish was still fighting, so it is all curvy in my hands. LOL. Though, i suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

:lol: @ the Tardis remark. I think we have some really good fish, but the best time to catch them is during spawn, which is before we are allowed to keep them (logically), which makes it very hard to get an official scale of the fish.

Edit: Just submitted anyways, we'll see what they say. Thanks for suggesting this Bakeapples!!! ;)

Edited by SG_Noodles, 02 September 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#44 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

Didn't officially see the 20 inch mark broken this year on the Canaan which was a letdown. Although some big ones were caught sans tape and may have been contenders.

EDIT - 19.5 was the largest measured bass this year on that river.

#45 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

That's nothing to shake a stick at. Sunday morning I got a 17" smallie out of the Nashwaak on the fly. A friend got a 14" fatty smallmouth out that I am pretty sure weighed more than my 17"er.

#46 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Send it in to Record Fish Canada and claim the NB record. Looks like a few people have already submitted a few and knocked out Nick Fenn's record.

Got to wonder how a fish like that came to be in NB water though - probably showed up by TARDIS LOL

Submitted and approved! 

#47 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

Congrats!!

#48 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

Thanks!

I'm pretty stoked about this. 

#49 skeeterpro

skeeterpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Locationquispamsis

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

official record for New Brunswick are handled by the nb wildlife federation - under the master angler program
this is just some guy running a site with no authority to do so

Any true record must be weight on a certified scale and measured with pictures to back it up along with witnesses .
i have caught and weighed many small mouth the largest one being 24 inches middle of the spawning season - it weighed in at 5.35 lbs on certified scale
my brother held the record for 9 years with a 24 inch bass that was weighed in at dnr - 5.9 lbs

seems strange that they would break there own rules too give a record ? shows what it is worth

but still a very nice fish - they don't come much bigger in New Brunswick ! you should be proud for sure

#50 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

skeeterpro - that program is no longer running and has been discussed here before. From their website:

Master Angler

This program is currently on hold.  Watch for new revised program in Spring 2013.

Besides, 'certified scale' usually means 'dead fish'.  With conservation and promotion of the sport in mind, recordfishcanada is filling the current void quite well.

#51 firebug2009

firebug2009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMinto & Area

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

myself, i just wanna see a picture next to a measurement as something to shoot for when im fishing, i like that anyone can submit a picture nice and easy if they beat the length of the last persons

The only "hunting and shooting" i do is fishing....i hunt for them, take their pictures, and let them go on their merry way...C&R all the way!

#52 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

Recordfishcanada is far from an official record site, without some sort of verification (weight on scales or length next to a tape) it's just another fish story. It's a nice bass but 8lbs + ??????????????

#53 Linesider

Linesider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSJ

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

Recordfishcanada is far from an official record site, without some sort of verification (weight on scales or length next to a tape) it's just another fish story. It's a nice bass but 8lbs + ??????????????

I have to agree 100% here.   Without some kind of proof, what is "recordfishcanada" basing their record off of?  Can I take a picture of a bass, tell them it's 6 lbs and 25" and have the record?

I hate to always be the negative one on this site, but seriously.  Why call it a record if there's really no proof.  BTW SGNoodles, that's an absolute giant of a bass you got there, and my point isnt to discredit it, just the actual process of record keeping in general by that website. 

Back on topic...my biggest NB bass was just over 23", and was weighed on a digital non certified scale at 3lbs 13oz.  Keep the big bass pics coming!!

053e3946.jpg

#54 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

I just caught my biggest smallie.   I'm a terrible smallie angler, and was trying for sturgeon at the time.... so I have no problem admitting this was a total fluke.

21", but skinny at just under 3 lb.     Beat my previous best by a whole 5 inches!

picture.jpg?t=1410013479

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#55 Linesider

Linesider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSJ

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

Wow, nice fish Joe!  I think we have some of the longest 2-3 lb bass in the world.  Some of the 2 lb'ers I've got this year have fought so hard that my jaw dropped at how small they were once I finally pulled them to the boat.  Makes a big difference when trying to bring them in against a hard current too.

#56 Lokithx

Lokithx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

I have to agree that it's terrible to not have the photos require a legible measuring tape.

Awesome bass pics guys, makes me feel like I need to try harder ;)

#57 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

I have to agree 100% here.   Without some kind of proof, what is "recordfishcanada" basing their record off of?  Can I take a picture of a bass, tell them it's 6 lbs and 25" and have the record?

I hate to always be the negative one on this site, but seriously.  Why call it a record if there's really no proof.  BTW SGNoodles, that's an absolute giant of a bass you got there, and my point isnt to discredit it, just the actual process of record keeping in general by that website. 

Back on topic...my biggest NB bass was just over 23", and was weighed on a digital non certified scale at 3lbs 13oz.  Keep the big bass pics coming!!

053e3946.jpg

No Worries, LS. Like I said in my initial post, I didn't have a scale, but I took measurements of girth and length, and used the online calculators to estimate weight. She was heavy, I was having trouble just lipping her, so I had to tail her as well. All that really matters to me is that I landed the biggest smallie of my short fishing career, and I got her back in the water as quickly as possible.

#58 PhenomRick

PhenomRick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:51 PM

bogus chart... for NB smallies at least. No way a 20"er is 5-7lbs.... likely hovering around the 4lbs area, 4.5lbs max. Others who posted size and actual weight in above posts proves it. My largest was 22" and it was a skinny 3.5lbs. I've multiple 19"ers the biggest was 3.25lbs and my biggest in weight was a 20"er at 3.85lbs.

I don't believe that it's credible to say what you think a 24" bass weighs if you've never even seen or caught one as you stated just after that comment.. just hard to judge with spawning being a factor. Thy vary in weigh and some are monsters...

#59 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:14 AM

I don't believe that it's credible to say what you think a 24" bass weighs if you've never even seen or caught one as you stated just after that comment.. just hard to judge with spawning being a factor. Thy vary in weigh and some are monsters...

Credible? Is this the word you meant to use here?

I didn't infer about a 24"er's weight. In fact I say i've never caught one and admit I don't have first hand knowledge of what one would weigh.

I only make the observation that the chart's weight suggestion to NB smallies that I have caught (up to 22") and note the weights were nowhere near accurate to those suggested by the chart. And that is also consistent with other anglers accounts who have also posted in this thread. So why single me out? Have I offended you in the past somehow?

Having said that, what's your experience? Have you caught a 24"er? What was it's weight and how does it compared to the chart's suggestion?

Have anything to offer other then trolling random comments?

#60 Mustang

Mustang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

My best smallie in the last two years was 19" three weeks ago.   No threat to any record, but it was a solid fish and put up a great fight.  Released inside of 60 seconds after two photos and a measurement.

IMG 1513
Uploaded 03 Jun 2015 - 15:39

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users