how big is the biggest smallie you guys have caught? - Page 2 - Smallmouth Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

how big is the biggest smallie you guys have caught?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Laurie:
that's a MONSTER!!
You might want to have a look at this chart. I'm thinking that fish was a lot heavier than your humble estimate. (Imagine a fisherman underestimating the size of his catch - you're giving us all a bad name).

http://www.windycity...rsion_chart.htm

Sounds like more like 7 to 8 lbs. Although I have noted the bass on the St Croix system are a lot more streamlined than lake fish, I'd still think that fish was WAY over 5 lbs. That must have been quite a fight.
Brent

bogus chart... for NB smallies at least. No way a 20"er is 5-7lbs.... likely hovering around the 4lbs area, 4.5lbs max. Others who posted size and actual weight in above posts proves it. My largest was 22" and it was a skinny 3.5lbs. I've multiple 19"ers the biggest was 3.25lbs and my biggest in weight was a 20"er at 3.85lbs. 

#22 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'd agree with you, sdavis, that the chart probably has limited relevance to NB fish, and more accurately reflects the dimensions of fat Great Lakes fish, as Laurie pointed out. And yes, I'd agree that a well-fed 20" NB bass would weigh 4lbs or so. In any case, Laurie's fish was almost 24". D'you think it might safely be said to have approached 5 lbs+? (I've caught 25" grilse that weighed in just shy of 6 lbs, and they tend toward a more torpedo-like shape than a fat ol' bass)

#23 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

I have no idea about a 24"er's weight as that is out of the realm of anything I have ever caught or seen :-) Maybe one day!

#24 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Yep. A lad can dream, eh?

#25 Tkb4Ltd

Tkb4Ltd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

I Have Caught quite a number of 19-21" Bass just this year. All in the SJ River either Downtown Freddy or Just up in Longs Creek

#26 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

19" bass, 2.7 lbs, caught on 10-lb test with a cast white grub in about 3' of water. Felt like a freight train hit the rod.

Roasted with a sliver of orange and a sprig of tarragon in the body cavity. Delicious! :)

#27 delete

delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

I caught a 4 1/4 pounder this year and thought it was a nice bass but didn't think it was worth taking a picture of. I thought it was a little under 4pounds before it was weighed.  I have not caught 1000's of bass like some guys, but many  of the bass I've caught are a decent size because I only target larger bass. I have caught  a few bass 21-24" but never weighed them. A number of years back there was a bass in the Hammond for two springs that was an absolute monster. I was catching 2-4 pounders sight fishing and mistook this big bass for a boulder until it moved it's tail. I hooked it once on a 2weight fly rod...no chance in hell of course. The next year my wife hooked it after we spotted it and it snapped the line like it was nothing. It had roughed up the 8lb test with it's 40 grit sandpaper like lips until it broke. Never saw that bass again in the spawning areas and I bet it died of natural causes, unless it swallowed a worm baited hook too deep  !

About 10 or so years ago there was a bass out in one of the channels of the Kennebecasis that was snapping our grubs off and it was a huge bass. We thought it was a big pickerel or small striper, but it followed to the boat a few times and just hovered there looking at the boat. It had to be at least 5-6 pounds. We had also caught a yellow perch that was 17" in that same spot that year... had to be something in the water! That was the biggest perch I have ever seen around here.

Last year during early July, I was fishing the Kennebecasis and hooked into a huge bass... it managed to unhook itself and I can't remember ever having a smallmouth pull that hard and it was not a striped bass or something else. I learned later from a couple different people who fished frequently a few hundred yards upstream that there was a 25-26" smallie near a bed there for much of the spring. One of the fellas had caught and released it while trout fishing.

I'm positive there are 6lb smallies in NB, but there are only a few bodies of water than can grow these larger fish. While striper or musky fishing I have caught some dandy smallies in the Saint John River. Some small lakes can grow monsters too. One lake in particular produced two bass one spring 10 years ago that were 23".  I haven't fished it this year,  but last year I hooked a hog beside the boat in less than 2 feet of water on a crankbait and thought it was a log until I looked down just as it spit it back at me. A month later I had a big bass snap off a senko in the same exact spot...probably the same fish.  If you fish this lake in the middle of summer you would be lucky to catch a bass much over 2 pounds, but in the spring the big bass make themselves catchable.

#28 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

"...40 grit sandpaper like lips..." 

Gotta love the metaphors in this place! :D 

Can't wait for next year as I'd love to land a large smallmouth and if Spring is the right season, I'll be psyched.

#29 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

RB, u can still fish smbass in the St John River and the headpond until 30 Nov but poession limit is 0. Lots of big ones still around!!

#30 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I knew the smallie season allowed you to still fish for them but was going on the point in a previous post that the larger ones seemed to bite more in the spring. As a kayak fisher that believes in self-preservation until I know what I'm doing,  I generally fish in non-tidal waters and don't really know where they might be in the lower parts of the St. John where I live. (One of these days I'll figure out enough to try and score a striper, but that's another forum...)

#31 skeeterpro

skeeterpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Locationquispamsis

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

fall is likely the best chance to catch a big bass ! spring is good but hard on them and they are sluggish .

you hook up right now and they will be crazy ! 

find one and you will find a bunch as they start to school up ! 

look for deep water edges that go on to feeding flats - a nice afternoon can lead to awesome fishing 

i have had afternoons where u can hook and release hundred smallmouth in oct !

#32 Jeff Dugas

Jeff Dugas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationCambridge-Narrows

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

15" is the biggest I've seen. Went out last year and was fishing the Kennebecasis River from the dock in Hampton. My girlfriend caught it and didn't even have any bait on her hook or anything. She just wanted to practice her casting. She casted on out and started reeling it in when all of a sudden the Smallmouth jumped straight out of the water. I was so proud of her.

Cheers,

Jeff

Be sure to check out my blog NB Fishing . 

#33 peter

peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Locationtitusville

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hampton docks are great i got 10 on night any where between 10 to 18 inches but I've seen aome real big ones taken there

#34 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

5 lbs, Maguagadavic Lake, 1989.

#35 Jay (Fisherpunk)

Jay (Fisherpunk)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

5lb even, lake Erie. I have landed some nice ones in the saint john and oromocto rivers and i'm sure some of them were over 4lb, but i dont carry a scale with me. I do usually carry a tape measure and have landed several above 20". 

I may have never met you, but when I do, we will always have a story to tell. We will always have something to debate. You will always something I can learn from and I will always have something to share with you. We are all Anglers, and I will always consider you to be a friend.

#36 Mikkmann

Mikkmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationRiverview NB

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

I do not know how much it weighed, but I caught the largest smallmouth of my life from shore in Gagetown on the St. John. It was 8 years ago during early spring and high cold water conditions. I caught 3 on sucessive casts; the first 2 were approximately 14 and 17 inches. The big one I'm not exactly sure, but it had to be at least 22 inches. It was the biggest bass I have ever seen, let alone caught. It took me 2 minutes before I could even get it to the surface to get a look at it. When it first took, I thought I might have hooked a huge sea run becuase it just bulldogged on the bottom, but when I managed to get it to the surface it rolled sideways and I could see from the color it was a huge smallie. As I said, it had to be at least 22 inches long and easily 8 inches back to belly. There were houses nearby where I was fishing, and I remember freaking out, holding the fish up towards the houses and saying "look at the size of this fish; somebody come and see the size of this dam fish.' Unfortunately no one was around to witness it, and she had to go back in without actual measurement or being weighed. I've caught many fish in my life, but that one was probably the most memorable one.

#37 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

I've caught a couple 6# and one that was almost 6.5#, along with an number of 5-5.5#. losing a few more in that range taught me to use better line and knots!!! the biggest destroyed a spinner bait but stayed hooked up, then on the next cast with a crank I landed a 5# just as the rest of my buddies quit for the day...lol, that was fun! all of these were caught in just 3 lakes, and there are probably many more and bigger ones there, the trick is the biggest bass get that big by not being caught.

oh, and all the other big smallies I landed were on poppers, with one exception of a small , translucent red fat crank.

there are some monster smallie in nb, I believe the record is still 8lb3oz, from a lake that was used to stock one of the lakes I'm talking about, the other spots just grow some big bass some times. I know of a spot with a6.5# I lost a battle with that I want to try for again... (nope, I didn't weigh it without landing it. after measuring hundreds, you get a pretty good idea of the size...I may be underestimating it - it was huge!!!!)

Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#38 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

slim 15" here as well and a 14" that easily could of been 1/2 pound heavier. This is my 1st season for bass and I am limited to shore, happy to land what I can and happy to send them back (CnR).

Well I have the 15"er beat several times this year with a 16, 17, two 18s, a 19 and a 20"

#39 RayBob

RayBob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

I have never broke the 5 lb mark.  4,8 lbs somewhere in mid-Maine:

Mainefishing2007006.jpg

#40 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member