how big is the biggest smallie you guys have caught? - Smallmouth Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

how big is the biggest smallie you guys have caught?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

Just curious, how big is the biggest u have seen with your own eyes? We caught a 20"er in woodstock yesterday and it was 6" thick.... Figured it was 5-7lbs for sure, absolute giant! Can't figure out how to load a pic on here...

#2 ryanw88

ryanw88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

20" is the biggest I have ever caught, how ever a saw a friend haul in a 22" hog! Dont know how much it weighed but it was a giant

#3 megz34

megz34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

The biggest I've caught in NB is 19" so far, while I've hit 23" fish in Nova Scotia, and lost one or two that probably would have topped that. The NB fish seem to be chunkier for the size then those from the lakes I've fished in NS.

#4 Joe Branscombe

Joe Branscombe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationCumberland Bay

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

15 is my biggest

#5 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

slim 15" here as well and a 14" that easily could of been 1/2 pound heavier. This is my 1st season for bass and I am limited to shore, happy to land what I can and happy to send them back (CnR).

#6 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

CR for sure, wouldn't eat anything out of the sj river anyway haha

#7 NBhunter80

NBhunter80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

I was out muskie fishing on Sunday while my buddy threw some bass lures.  He got 6 bass in 3 hours, 3 of them were over 3 pounds.  Biggest was a 4 pound 20" bass.  My personal best is also about 4 pounds, but I don't fish bass much. 

#8 Trouter

Trouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Cought a 4 pounder the other day my biggest for sure

#9 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

15" is my biggest as well. Maguadavic Lake, 1989.

#10 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

My tactic when fishing bass is I target drop offs, since I am in a boat with a fish finder its earier but from shore, where I have always fished until this year, always look for ledge, where theres ledge, theres drop offs, also if there is a steep bank close to shore it likely continues into the water, that's where I target, some grassy areas are ok but its harder from shore, any big bass I have ever caught has been from ledge banks!

#11 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

I think the biggest would be a 19" on Lake Digdeguash. Caught him on a Sneaky Pete popper (chartreuse) with a 6wt flyrod.
brent

#12 CountryMike

CountryMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCambridge-Narrows

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

biggest one I've measured was 18" and 3.75 lbs...but I know I've caught bigger, just didn't have a scale or a tape measure around....Have a tape measure sticker on the boat now, so that helps....

My fishing gear is worth more than my car.....sad ..........or awesome?

#13 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

I've gotten 18 inchers in Mactaquac (one spot consistently produces these fish for me) and at Fredericton. 

I don't have a scale but will be getting one. I have one of those stick-on tape measures in my tin yacht which is very handy.

I might have gottten bigger but \I'm not sure because when I'm alone \I often unhook 'em and release 'em without a measurement.

Early this summer I picked up an 18 incher behind the hotel in downtown Fredericton (Hilton?) and it was the fattest bass I ever saw in my life. And that's why Santa Claus is bringing me a scale this year.I swear that sucker weighed more than a Centurion tank.

#14 Laurie Dunham

Laurie Dunham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPrince William

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

The biggest bass I have caught so far was a 23,1/2 inch monster in the Grand Falls flowage near St. Stephen N.B. I have caught several in the 20,21" range and they were low 4lb range but wish I had a scale for that fish because it had to hit the 5lb barrier. Went back the next weekend during the tournament and she was nowhere to be found. The Biggest fish weighed in at a NBSFA tournament was 5.2lbs caught by the late Barry Burke on Harvey lake . And there was a 5.1 caught on Harvey lake this year in a NB PROBASS tourney by Rob Mahoney.
We do not own this land we borrow it from our children !

New Brunswick Sportfishing Association Director

#15 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Laurie:
that's a MONSTER!!
You might want to have a look at this chart. I'm thinking that fish was a lot heavier than your humble estimate. (Imagine a fisherman underestimating the size of his catch - you're giving us all a bad name).

http://www.windycity...rsion_chart.htm

Sounds like more like 7 to 8 lbs. Although I have noted the bass on the St Croix system are a lot more streamlined than lake fish, I'd still think that fish was WAY over 5 lbs. That must have been quite a fight.
Brent

#16 Laurie Dunham

Laurie Dunham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPrince William

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

that chart looks like it was made by a fisherman lol...

#17 Laurie Dunham

Laurie Dunham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPrince William

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

Seriously though I think that chart may be more in tune with the great lakes, Goby feasting smallmouth that are much fatter than ours. I have watched thousands of fish being weighed in over the years on legal tender scales and they never seem to weigh as much as you would think they would. Take a look at the smallmouth they are catching up there after the goby invasion and you will see what I mean

#18 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

Laurie: good point.  I'll have to look into that. 

#19 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

I caught a 20" out of the St John River a few weeks back, just over 4lbs. Have yet to top it, but I am sure that I lost one that was close to 23" in Burton.

#20 Rob3113

Rob3113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

This is only my 2nd year Bass fishing and last week I got a 19 1/4 3.5 lb one from Darlings Island.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users