Who would be interested in learning a few new spots? - Gone Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Who would be interested in learning a few new spots?

trout

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 James&Carry17

James&Carry17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hey guys, I am fairly new to this forum and I m looking to share a couple nice fishing spots with a few people as long as they would do the same in return. I m not one to return and fish out your spots and nor would I expect the same. But if there are any interested just let me know thanks

James

#2 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hey James,

Check out my profile as it pretty much tells what experience I have (or lack thereof) in NB for fishing. I have had a couple of messages with some guys on here and hope to get some fishing trips in with them this year in the area, and would be happy to head out on the canoe or in the woods with you as well if your looking for fishing company.

Your interests mention family and fishing. I've got 5 and 2 year old boys. If you have a son that fishes, I'm sure a 2 family fishing trip would probably go over really well.

Cheers,
joe

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#3 haloj

haloj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hey Guys,

You can count me in. I'm not familiar with the Saint John area, but am quite familiar with the Fredericton, Gran Lake area and have some spots in Moncton. I am always interested in some fishing with some new folks and learn new areas.

Jared

#4 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hey guys,
I'll be using my technique again this spring to find new water (http://www.nationalp...own honey holes). You're welcome to join me, or to try it out for yourself. I've got a few spots to try out in a couple of weeks, some of which will require some serious bush-whacking and some over-nights in the bush.

#5 James&Carry17

James&Carry17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hey Joe,

That sounds good I am game to show ya some spots. I do not have a son although my daughter will be born in May. I m sure that when she get a bit older I ll have her out with me all the time.

But in the mean time I be down for some fishing any time with my new job I have Saturday and Sundays off.

I do not have a canoe though, but if you do I have some great areas that I could show you.

Stroover I am willing to help beat a path to get out to do some fishing just message me and let me know.

Cheers,

James

#6 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hey guys,

I'm all for breaking new trails, or going out in groups via canoe and hunting some elusive new spots. One of my goals is to take a day or three and go from Stillwater Island (North of Musquash via what I suspect is an old road) and ride up through something called 'The Narrows', through to Loch Alva. A little jaunt across land would be required but I suspect that beach on the south tip of Loch Alva would be a great place to set up camp for a night.

I've got a 2 man fishing canoe as well as a kayak that can be used on such a trip. I just gotta find the fishing buddies and the right time to do it. Heading into the wilderness like that is not someone one wants to do alone.

Check it out on google maps. I bet 'The Narrows' would be a great place to cast a line.

Stroover, I'm a techie. would be happy to upload some coordinates once I find good spots to your site.

cheers,
joe

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#7 James&Carry17

James&Carry17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I know some other spots that are near Mushquash. That is a weekend trip, and a bit of a trek, but it totally worth the trip. The name of the area is called the Sherwood rips

#8 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

James and Homebrew, sounds like a plan! Let's look into a trip to those Narrows of yours. On a side note, my daughter will be 11 this summer and is an avid fly fishergirl, however she won't be coming to an unknown-to-me spot like that. You two go in the canoe, and I'll bring my kayak. Do you guys mind if I make a video on our adventure for my WFN blog? And I have a feeling that Exstream and TrapperCase will want to tag along too, as I have a feeling we'll be making a NPS video for our sponsors... :)

#9 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sounds like the making of a fun trip. Stroover, are you thinking of an overnight camping trip or a day trip, and are you thinking early season or later on once things warm up a little more? I can certianly make room for James in my canoe.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#10 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Homebrew, when you come out of the narrows and head to the right towards the power house, there is a ton of deadwood under the water.

Jim VE9WH

#11 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Ah, you've been there then Jim. Any ideas what the fishing is like right there? Is it save to travel through there towards the south end of Loch Alva by canoe/kayak with all the deadwood?

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#12 James&Carry17

James&Carry17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

This sounds like an awesome trip. I m game to go just have to wait till after May. I dont want to venture to far while Carry is still pregnant lol. If we are talking of the same place I ve gone during the long weekend in May and at the base of the rips it was awesome fishing.

Another fishing trip that would be fun that I ve never done is the jaunt down the river for sea trout .

I ve got many places to show for day trips or even drive by fishes is what I call them lol.

Stoover I plan on bringing my water proof video camera also. I know this sounds odd but I d like to some day have my own fishing show... lol.

Again just let me know when and I prepare, and if you guys want add me to fb James O'Neill

Cheers

#13 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

that is one of my favorite spots to kayak fish, I do it often. its about a 2.5 hour paddle from the easy launch with parking at the dam to the bottom of the loch alva portage. from there its about 300-350 yards up the trail to the beach at loch alva. the loch itself is huge, taking most of a day to paddle fishing, minimum. there can be big waves and big wind in alva, so keep that in mind. there is a ton of water in both reservoirs to explore. I've done it from the east mushquash end and the full loch a number of times, and the run from east mushquash to alva and a quick fish above in alva, then back out at dark as often as I can. last year I paddled and portaged it from above in a 2 day kayak excursion that took me a few days to portage in and set up for ...and 2 years planning. that was the east tributary, from the park edge down the britton stream lakes - rugged! then alva and mushquash,over 5kms of portage on the way down and a lot of water, so I wasn't fishing big sections. I plan to do the west tributary down some time. I've also done a 2 day trip on the west mushquash side by power boat, doing awesome but i'm not as familiar with that side.

so I guess you can tell i'm in for a trip there...lol.
Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#14 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Ok, so by the sounds of it we're looking at an over-night camping trip for sure. What lake system are we considering, then? And say we were going after trout, when'ish should we plan to go, ipop?

#15 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

trout for breakfast or trout for supper? lol actually brookies or lakers? lakers as soon as we can, you know when its really cold...but the brookie bite lasts.

it sounds like people want to give alava a try, and east mushquash is a good way to paddle there. launch would be beside the dam. does every one have a kayak or canoe?

#16 dand883

dand883

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

that is one of my favorite spots to kayak fish, I do it often. its about a 2.5 hour paddle from the easy launch with parking at the dam to the bottom of the loch alva portage. from there its about 300-350 yards up the trail to the beach at loch alva. the loch itself is huge, taking most of a day to paddle fishing, minimum. there can be big waves and big wind in alva, so keep that in mind. there is a ton of water in both reservoirs to explore. I've done it from the east mushquash end and the full loch a number of times, and the run from east mushquash to alva and a quick fish above in alva, then back out at dark as often as I can. last year I paddled and portaged it from above in a 2 day kayak excursion that took me a few days to portage in and set up for ...and 2 years planning. that was the east tributary, from the park edge down the britton stream lakes - rugged! then alva and mushquash,over 5kms of portage on the way down and a lot of water, so I wasn't fishing big sections. I plan to do the west tributary down some time. I've also done a 2 day trip on the west mushquash side by power boat, doing awesome but i'm not as familiar with that side.

so I guess you can tell i'm in for a trip there...lol.

Ipop, I have worked along side of the west branch river between sherwood and musquash and it won't be a trip for the feint of heart! There's a long section with very steep rocky walls that there is no shore to pull over on and lots of fast water, rocks and rapids.
When we were first working in the area we talked to a ranger who said he used to canoe down it every few years and there were some awesome pools along the way, but you can easily lose a boat full of gear through there.

#17 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

Perhaps we should look at getting together to chat about this trip and figure out timing, logistics,...etc. If we want to get together on a weekend afternoon/evening, I can host a bbq in Quispamsis. During the week it might be better to look at meeting at a Tim's or something.

On google maps, it looks like you can drive all the way to the top of Stillwater Island. I was wondering if we could do that and launch from there, cutting the length we would have to paddle basically in half. The rough section that dand883 refers to does make me wary. Would that be 'The Narrows' on the google map?

Again, I'm not sure if most people would want to do this as a day trip early in the season, or an overnight a little later once the overnights warm up a little. I'm open to both really.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#18 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'd be more up to an overnight trip when it gets a little warmer. NORMALLY that would be in a week or two, but doesn't look like that freaking groundhog is going to let winter switch off anytime soon! Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!

#19 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

dand883 is discribing the west branch that runs into alva, that I plan on doing all of some time ( a major trip as you can tell). above alva the east branch is crazy rugged too, I've been fishing sections for decades but finally did it all in one trip last year - very rocky!).

what we are talking about only involves walking the portage from east musquash to alva, less than 400yrds each way up a clear trail, and a lot easier on the way down...lol. current will not be a problem, only waves and wind.

homebrew, the map shows the road going to the end of Stillwater island, but there are 2 problems. first, it doesn't go to public access, instead it goes to peoples camps and no where else. second, even worse, it's so rugged and rocky I can't get much past the first camp, getting hung up on the rocks and seriously stuck - not for anything without major clearance and a narrow wheel base. that's why everybody launches from the dam area with the parking lot. there are also a few other reasons to start there....

yes, we should get together and get some plans and dates set up...

#20 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Ah, thats good to know ipop. Saves me a scouting drive out this Sunday. :-)

Would this Sunday afternoon be too early to have a mid-afternoon meet/greet/bbq in Quispamsis? Next weekend would also work by me. I could host anytime from 3:00 on.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users