• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aubi459

Aubi459

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I typically use hard baits like rapelas for lake trout, but this year i have bought some storm soft baits. I am just wondering if anyone uses soft baits compared to hard baits. The soft baits have a rubber tail which to me seems like the fish will just chop them off. The hard baits usually have a treble hook for a tail. Anyways i ordered them offline thinking is was going to be great but no one i know seems to use them. So i was just wondering if many people use the soft baits and how they like them Thanks!

#2 Aubi459

Aubi459

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I plan using them for lake trout

#3 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

I use soft plastics most of the time for all the species I go after, landed a 20 inch trout on a tube and jig last summer while fishing smallies

Jim VE9WH

#4 Aubi459

Aubi459

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

excellent! so they are durable enough ... by the way thats a huge fish haha

#5 Brownman

Brownman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

if you can order so Zman soft baits, they are unreal. got to use em for pike in ontario. they are soooooo stretchy and tough. i used the same one all day...no pike could tear it up. incredible

also don't forget your spoons :)

#6 Aubi459

Aubi459

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

thanks man i will look into that name... yeah i usually use spoons but never really know what to use for the last two years i have been using motts cyclops haha i think thats what its called.. i never really got into the spinners like everyone else haha

#7 James&Carry17

James&Carry17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Looking to fish for some lake trout this summer any suggestions. Also what is a good brown trout lure

#8 Jeff Dugas

Jeff Dugas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationCambridge-Narrows

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

I find just taking a huge night crawler and putting it on a nice size hook, then putting a spinner on with it works fantastic. I find that fish like the Live Baits more.

Cheers,

Jeff

Be sure to check out my blog NB Fishing . 

#9 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

storm swim baits have become popular up north for lake trout, at least on tv. I haven't seen any pattern of vertical jigging vs casting, they seemed to try both. I've tried them for lakers with no luck, but only a couple times. I have however landed over 600 stripers on them... as for brown trout lures, keep in mind dark colors for dark days, bright colors for bright days. not quite that simple of course, but close enough. start small early in season and grow the lure with the season (and the yoy fish). for browns half the time I'm like GetReelFishingTV, spinner and worm or weight and worm, but half the spots are reservoirs and I don't use lead in them, so more often I'm using 2.5 to 4" rapalas and other minnow cranks.
Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#10 F15h

F15h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:45 AM

I vertical jig soft tube jigs often for lakers and have had good results white seems to be best but have caught them on many colours. I also like some hard jigs one called a zinger worked nice in the summer to get to a deep part of the lake quick. I also sometimes drop flys with a one ounce wait below a fly to bottom and as the boat drifts the fly works near the bottom in deep water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users