New variance order for Hammond River, 2013 - Conservation - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

New variance order for Hammond River, 2013

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

You heard it here first:
When you read the 2013 fish book, you will notice in the section "New for 2013" that for the stretch of the Hammond River between the French Village covered bridge and the CNR train bridge, all fishing will not be opened until May 1st.

#2 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

I hope they put some wardens in that area, it's a popular stretch, especially just up from the train bridge at the highway. Nice to see it closed a little longer

Jim VE9WH

#3 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

It's looking like the stretch in question will be closed until May 1st. They're working on getting it done in time for the 15th. As soon as I know for sure, I'll let you all know.

#4 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

I hope they do, fingers crossed

Jim VE9WH

#5 James&Carry17

James&Carry17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Just so I am restful in my own mind that is the area where the deep hole is ??

#6 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yes the deep hole is in the middle of that stretch

Jim VE9WH

#7 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

I just got the official word this afternoon: The stretch in question will not be open for business until May 1st.

#8 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

That sucks. I'll still be aiming to fish the top part of the river, launching from the Darlings Island Covered bridge in Canoe Monday morning if it's sunny and not too cold. May be too early to actualy catch much but catching fish comes second to actually getting out and trying. Would welcome company if anyone wants to join me... 8:30-ish I should be there to put the canoe in the water.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#9 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

That sucks. I'll still be aiming to fish the top part of the river, launching from the Darlings Island Covered bridge in Canoe Monday morning if it's sunny and not too cold. May be too early to actualy catch much but catching fish comes second to actually getting out and trying. Would welcome company if anyone wants to join me... 8:30-ish I should be there to put the canoe in the water.

So, launching at Darling's Island covered bridge would mean you'll be fishing the BOTTOM part of the river.

#10 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Tom / Bottom, Left / Right, Drunk / Sober.... damn semantics! I'm a Newfie! I only half get part of it almost right sometimes anyway. :-)

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#11 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Has anyone seen the variance, because it is not in the printed copy of the rules I got when I bought my license. Would be nice to know for certain.

Jim VE9WH

#12 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Has anyone seen the variance, because it is not in the printed copy of the rules I got when I bought my license. Would be nice to know for certain.

It's official, Jim. I received the official copy of the variance order yesterday afternoon. The Hammond River will be closed between the CNR Train Bridge to the French Village covered bridge to all angling of all species until May 1st.

#13 James&Carry17

James&Carry17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hey homebrew what time are you heading out Monday?

#14 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Aiming to arrive at the covered bridge around 8:30 am if the weather looks good. Could adjust my timing if it means i can get some company. ;-)

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog

#15 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

It's official, Jim. I received the official copy of the variance order yesterday afternoon. The Hammond River will be closed between the CNR Train Bridge to the French Village covered bridge to all angling of all species until May 1st.

. That's great news, but it would be nice if they would post a link

Jim VE9WH

#16 The Grand Laker

The Grand Laker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis, NB

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Yea because as far as i know in the book i received when i bought my licence it did not state this, so hopefully there is some wardens spectating for the rest of April, wouldn't want any problems there!

#17 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

It's not posted along there either. Going to be a lot of problems there if they don't post it and make in known to the public.

Jim VE9WH

#18 The Grand Laker

The Grand Laker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis, NB

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I agree Jim because even I planned to fish that area before I read this, so I am sure there are others who are most likely going to do the same, hopefully there isn't to much problems!

#19 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

It's not posted along there either. Going to be a lot of problems there if they don't post it and make in known to the public.

When did you go by? Because DFO informed me yesterday that signs have been posted everywhere along there. Maybe some delinquants took them down? Anyways, DFO and DNR will be patroling the area heavily, so no worries.

#20 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

I was there this afternoon around 1:00' looked all along the Darlings Island Rd to the McKay highway.

Jim VE9WH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users