• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FishingNB

FishingNB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

I’ve noticed the forums have gone quiet from what I remember of them a few years ago. Especially regarding striper fishing up on the Miramichi. Has the conversation moved to another site? Are there other sites people would recommend?

Thanks

#2 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

You too, eh?

It seems a LOT of traffic has moved to various Facebook groups.  this seems to be happening with all kinds of fora.  Those of us without a Facebook presence are doomed to miss out, i guess.  I understand NB Anglers facebook page sees a lot of traffic, if that is to your taste.

brent

#3 FishingNB

FishingNB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

Thanks Brent.  I was thinking the activity has moved to Facebook.  Unfortunately, that is a social format I rarely use.  Perhaps this place will pick up again in time.

#4 Diaperman

Diaperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

I agree. I've heard from a few people to look at Facebook for info so I went on through my wife since I don't have a Facebook account. There was a lot of info but there are a lot of rude and sarcastic people. On this forum if you ask where are the stripers you will get locations and helpful hints to have a great day of fishing. I saw the same post on Facebook and a lot of the responses were " in the river", " in the water", " at Sobeys" and " why should I tell you my spots". There was a lot of bull$#>%. It's a shame that this site has been so quiet.

#5 FishingNB

FishingNB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

I personally found this site helpful and the people open and friendly. It offers a chance for everyone to enjoy the sport. Finding the time to fish can be a challenge, so to get helpful advice is always welcomed before heading out. I’ve always tried to be open with those I meet regarding good fishing areas and tackle used. I’m currently helping some people get organized for a fishing trip to the Miramichi. For the most part, people are respectful of sport and to me, it’s important for those who are interested to have a chance to enjoy it. I went onto Facebook the other night and found it to be less helpful and not well organized. Let’s hope this place picks up.

#6 stafman

stafman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOromocto Watershed

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

This site has been so helpful to me in the past, but I've also found it's gotten very slow over the past couple years. Unfortunately as technology changes certain sites and styles of sites are going to be left behind. Personally, I found the NB anglers site to be pretty distasteful. For that reason I created a community page for N.B. fly fishing called the New Brunswick Fly Fishing Community, The rules do not allow for rudeness or pictures of dead or mishandled fish. We have over 300 members and we're growing. I recognize this will not apply to those who choose not to fly fish, but I felt that particular niche needed to be filled. 

Brent, I won't lie, I've been secretly hoping you would join the group, but I know you're not on Facebook. Even if you just created a fake account to join the group, your advice and experience would be invaluable! 

FishingNB, please join our group for more active discussions. I have also created a links document which contains some very helpful info on fishing in NB...cheers

https://www.facebook...ps/nbflyfishing

The water is my church. 

#7 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

Yes, I'd echo Diaperman (ernie)'s comments.  I snuck on the NB Anglers page via my wife's facebook page, too, and I'd say he hit the nail on the head.  There are some good people there and some decent posts/discussions; but rules don't seem to be enforced, as pertains to personal attacks, bullying, criticism and just general mean spirited interactions.   I'd say 'distasteful' is, by times, a good descriptor.

This group is much more helpful and collegial, in my opinion, even to the point of helping people who are looking for good places to fish.  (I must confess that I have received a couple of PMs on this forum from people telling me to stop sharing such info, and I can understand why, but we all had to start somewhere).  I'm gonna hang in here for a while.  Seems like the folks left here are all decent people.

Stafman: yes, I noted your effort, and am sorely tempted to join you there.  I guess I'm just a  little unnerved by Facebook any time I sneak on there.  I don't really need to know what my 'spirit animal' is, nor what was the #1 hit on the day I was born (not sure they had radios back then anyway), nor '75 life hacks that will rock my world'.  Let me think about it.  And good for you for trying to get something going for the dedicated fly fisherman who may identify as more than a salmon fisherman.

brent

#8 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

I had joined that facebook group, but left it. I'll check yours out, Stafman. Speaking of flyfishing, does anybody know if the Hammond River has come down enough for wading in the French Village covered bridge area yet?

#9 stafman

stafman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOromocto Watershed

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

I hope you do join us Atoqwa'su! It's a much different experience compared to the N.B. anglers group...no dead fish in sink pics! Don't know about Wading the Hammond but I saw one guy caught an absolute smasher of a brook trout there...

And Brent, I feel your pain. I would never really encourage anyone to join any kind of social media because I think can be very bad for our brains, social lives, and self esteem. Unfortunately Facebook seems to be where the conversation is, and they do a really great job of allowing users to create some pretty awesome groups...

The water is my church. 

#10 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

I did join. : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users