Why does this province end trout fishing on Sept. 15th? - General Fishing Questions - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Why does this province end trout fishing on Sept. 15th?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sealdaddy

sealdaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, NB

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

Can anyone give me the answer, please?

#2 stafman

stafman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOromocto Watershed

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

I'm no biologist, but I'd assume it's primarily because brook trout spawn in the fall. 

The water is my church. 

#3 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

Yes.

#4 sealdaddy

sealdaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, NB

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:01 PM

So brook trout determine the season for all types of trout??

#5 troutchaser

troutchaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

We have to give trout chance to spawn or we Will fish them right out.

#6 stafman

stafman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOromocto Watershed

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:22 AM

So brook trout determine the season for all types of trout??

Brook trout and Lake trout are the only native trout (other than charr which are rare) in New Brunswick so that's what natural resources focuses on. Both of which spawn in the fall. 

The water is my church. 

#7 Mikkmann

Mikkmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationRiverview NB

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

Actually, both brook trout and lake trout are not members of the trout family, but are in fact true chars. The fish referred to as char in this province is supposed to be the same fish referred to as arctic char when it occurs up north. I was told by DNR some years ago that they are known to be in three lakes in the province. One of them is Waltons Lake in the Shepody area, which is on the right hand side of the road just before you get to Adairs Lodge. Larry Adair has leased this lake from the province for many years and I assume that it is still the case. I have seen some photos of fish that have come out of the lake, and they are a very pretty fish.

#8 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

...and of course brown trout spawn in the autumn, too.  So the season closure inadvertently helps protect one of the two non-native trout species.  

Related thought:  Salmon fishing closes in mid to late october to protect salmon during the spawn.  Salmon who enter rivers early (say, late June to the end of September) are subject to angling pressure for significantly longer than, say, late run fish who enter rivers in september, october, or even november.  So, over time, is there non-natural selection favouring the later run fish, in that they have a competitive advantage of less predation, (albeit mostly hook and release) added on to their other advantage of not having spent several months in freshwater, and hence not feeding?  I gotta think a fish that has been fasting for only a few weeks is more capable of breeding successfully than a fish that hasn't eaten for 4-5 months?  

I wonder that we've perhaps encouraged salmon to run up the rivers later, over time.  I wonder that we may have already pulled the counting fences by the time they arrive?

brent

#9 sealdaddy

sealdaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, NB

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

Thank you for your knowledgeable answers, guys 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users