• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FishingforFun

FishingforFun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:17 AM

Thought we would start a new thread instead of having a page 50 on the biting on the chi thread.

Water and fishing warming up on the strait, seeing lots of keeper size fishing being caught, there appears to be a ton of fish along the inlets and bays of the strait. 

#2 snapper1

snapper1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

Hi there.

Any fish being caught along the coast toward Tracadie yet?

Cheers

^..^ 

#3 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

Don't know about Tracadie, but they are showing up along the coast near Cap-Pelé area.

#4 snapper1

snapper1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:53 PM

Don't know about Tracadie, but they are showing up along the coast near Cap-Pelé area.

Thanx Atoqwa'su

Have a good day

#5 drd309

drd309

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

How Moon is related to striped bass fishing and why? Besides tide.

#6 remister

remister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

The Moon affects the tides / stronger tides means more current and more current means smaller bait fish come in closer to shore and result in easier picking for bass which triggers their natural feeding frenzy / The new moon generally is better fishing but the light of the full moon makes your lures/bait more visible(which I prefer). The tides affect atmospheric pressure which dictates the feeding patterns of most surface feeding fish. This applies to almost all species of sport fish...

Hope this answers your question :)

Cheers

Rem

#7 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:32 AM

remister I agree that the light of a full moon makes your lures/bait more visible but even though the light from a full moon makes your lures/baits more visible stripers have no trouble feeding on a dark cloudy night even in stained water I do a lot of night fishing and my favorite colour to use after dark is black( sandeel of course lol)
Even though a striped bass has pretty good vision compared to a lot of other fish it’s not as keen as it’s othsr senses and is used mainly for short range encounters. For example a striper has a set of nostrils as most other fish do but a striper has a pair of nostrils that maintain a connection between the nostrils and the mouth like a human does This actually allows for a stripers smell and taste to be integrated which allows for the striper to rely on its smell and taste more than its vision to feed and navigate. Stripers don’t have external ears yet it has an excellent capacity to hear sounds such as splashing especially since sound travels faster in water than air. Stripers like most other fish have a lateral line that they use to sense vibration and movement By using all of these senses-smell, taste, hearing combined with their lateral line, stripers are able to navigate and feed in water that literally has no visibility whatsoever. If you have ever seen or fished stripers in the Shubenacadie or Stewiacke rivers in NS which are both the same colour as choclate milk you will realize how well a striper can use its other senses.
One question I wanted to ask is doesn’t atmospheric pressure affect tides instead of tides affecting atmospheric pressure?

Norman

#8 snapper1

snapper1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:04 AM

remister I agree that the light of a full moon makes your lures/bait more visible but even though the light from a full moon makes your lures/baits more visible stripers have no trouble feeding on a dark cloudy night even in stained water I do a lot of night fishing and my favorite colour to use after dark is black( sandeel of course lol)
Even though a striped bass has pretty good vision compared to a lot of other fish it’s not as keen as it’s othsr senses and is used mainly for short range encounters. For example a striper has a set of nostrils as most other fish do but a striper has a pair of nostrils that maintain a connection between the nostrils and the mouth like a human does This actually allows for a stripers smell and taste to be integrated which allows for the striper to rely on its smell and taste more than its vision to feed and navigate. Stripers don’t have external ears yet it has an excellent capacity to hear sounds such as splashing especially since sound travels faster in water than air. Stripers like most other fish have a lateral line that they use to sense vibration and movement By using all of these senses-smell, taste, hearing combined with their lateral line, stripers are able to navigate and feed in water that literally has no visibility whatsoever. If you have ever seen or fished stripers in the Shubenacadie or Stewiacke rivers in NS which are both the same colour as choclate milk you will realize how well a striper can use its other senses.
One question I wanted to ask is doesn’t atmospheric pressure affect tides instead of tides affecting atmospheric pressure?

Norman

Good morning Bassman

I agree with you regarding color...My '' go to'' lures or flies for evening and night fishing are black, black/purple, or black/red...But then again, sometimes chartreuse is great...Go figure...unsure.png

^..^

#9 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Yes snapper1 just when we think we have fish figured they do something different One thing we can all agree on is no has figured out how to talk to a fish so until that day comes it’s all just a guessing game LOL.

#10 ChiGuy

ChiGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

went down to Neguac, under the iles aux foins bridge to be exact, for an evening fish on Sunday. had a decent evening, caught just short of a half dozen over about 3 hours or so. I was playing with an old fly rod I had rigged up (my cast is horrible :-/, oh well) caught a couple super small stripers on it using streamers. caught a few more using the typical lures (split tail flukes and swimbaits).

the interesting part of the night set in just after dark when the water was just alive with fish. For the better part of an hour you could barely count to 10 without hearing fish breaking the surface. Wading about with my flashlight i came to the conclusion that they were eating these small (1-2") shrimp that could be seen bopping around near the surface.

This certainly fit the profile of fish being locked into a food source. Despite my efforts of trying to match the hatch the bite was slow. I've since scoured the web after a floating shrimp fly to try to lock into the feeding frenzy next time I'm there.

This type of feeding is something I've observed at various docks after dark throughout the Miramichi Bay. Just wondering if anyone has observed the same and had any luck with tapping into it. I know most of them are small, but they'd be a blast to play with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users